• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Earning Loss Benefit ( ELB )

I agree; I've had the same experience.

The only question I have, which has not been answered yet by VAC, is: The information on My VAC Account says that I have about $40 deductions....soooo, no income tax? Is this not taxable? Seems to me it should be, but I am not an income/non-income expert.

I've still haven't seen anything. They had my forms from manulife for almost 2 weeks but nothing yet. I'm not expecting it until later this month.

Quick update: everyone getting ELB will want to fill out  Revenue Canada TD1 form.

The income tax being deducted is only using the ELB amount NOT your total income (even though they have that info to figure out ELB...).

If you don't fix it now, you will be screwed tax time next year. I'm going to be bumping this up the VAC chain; seems like a really lazy way to do business.

I was approved for SISIP LTD in October 16 back dated to release date in August of 16. VAC received my application for ELB on 2 Sep. I was asked by VAC for permission to contact SISIP to determine my benefit. when I track my application the status has been in Step 3 for 4 weeks, but no one at VAC can tell me when a decision and/or when I might expect to see some jingle in my bank account. Has anyone else experienced this kind of delay and how long did it take for you to get resolution?
I will echo others comments on positive experience with SISIP, I'd be in a world of hurt without them.
Happy New Year all!  :salute:

Renegate dont feel Bad. I send all my paper work to VAC on the 11 Oct. they approved my rehab on the 27 Oct. talked to my CM on the 28 Oct told me approved Rehab my ELB was being calculated. On Vac account I have been stuck in stage 3 ever since  for ELB. Called them last week and was told that once rehab approved they have to sent the ELB request to Charletown and that they received it on the 17 Nov. from  there it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get done because they are way behind. I guess at VAC adding substrating a a few numbers Is a pretty complicated and time consuming process.

Tilap, mine was received in Charlettown on 30 Nov. VAC tells me that "the service standard on ELB is 28 days, but because of increased applications 56 days is reality". So that makes me think I'll not hear anything until  at least 25 Jan. Oh well I guess it's "money in the bank"
hope others are getting theirs processed quicker than this!

Renegade68 said:
Tilap, mine was received in Charlettown on 30 Nov. VAC tells me that "the service standard on ELB is 28 days, but because of increased applications 56 days is reality". So that makes me think I'll not hear anything until  at least 25 Jan. Oh well I guess it's "money in the bank"
hope others are getting theirs processed quicker than this!
Mine was received on 9 Nov 2016, and I got my money yesterday, so 56 days is about right!

I received my top up this week. Looks like it's back dated to October 1st. On my VAC account online its listed as TEMPORARY INCOME LOSS benefit

I was medically released 12 months ago. My release salary was 62,232 MCpl pay
Looks like I'm getting $470 a month after tax of which only $32 is being held back.

I'm greatful to receive the amount and my intent is not to complain - but I'm just curious as to how VAC calculated this because I don't see this as 15%.  I have no reference on my online account and I have no letter from VAC yet to explain this to me... so I'm just super curious on how they arrived at this calculation and what others are receiving.

Any insight would be nice

CampCricket said:
I received my top up this week. Looks like it's back dated to October 1st. On my VAC account online its listed as TEMPORARY INCOME LOSS benefit

I was medically released 12 months ago. My release salary was 62,232 MCpl pay
Looks like I'm getting $470 a month after tax of which only $32 is being held back.

I'm greatful to receive the amount and my intent is not to complain - but I'm just curious as to how VAC calculated this because I don't see this as 15%.  I have no reference on my online account and I have no letter from VAC yet to explain this to me... so I'm just super curious on how they arrived at this calculation and what others are receiving.

Any insight would be nice

How many times and how many threads are you going to put this CampCricket? Trolling is not allowed...

BinRat55 said:
How many times and how many threads are you going to put this CampCricket? Trolling is not allowed...

Well it's in the correct thread now.

CampCricket there was much uproar of the 15% increase as it did not equate to 15% for a lot of members mainly lower ranks. Some may even be getting more than 15%. At the end of the day it comes down to totalling 90% of your release pay.

I've made 10 posts in the five years of being a member to be told I'm trolling. Thanks a bunch. I won't bother posting questions here anymore (or offering advice on how to get results from VAC). Decided I was going to give back and contribute by sharing on this site... and get this type of response for accidentally posting in wrong thread and then reposting in the right one... don't need the drama. I am good at finding answers on my own.

CampCricket said:
I've made 10 posts in the five years of being a member to be told I'm trolling. Thanks a bunch. I won't bother posting questions here anymore (or offering advice on how to get results from VAC). Decided I was going to give back and contribute by sharing on this site... and get this type of response for accidentally posting in wrong thread and then reposting in the right one... don't need the drama. I am good at finding answers on my own.

whoa whoah whoa,

Chill Winston.  Not everyone here wants you to leave.  I dig your posts.

Stay a while bredren.

Ourselves Alone

Tess

BinRat55 said:

Ease up on the man brother, you know that ain't good amigo. ;)

All is good, all is good.

Ourselves Alone

Tess

So, I sent a secure message through my VAC account asking for an update on the status of my claim. I received the following back from VAC, not the news I wanted to hear but, at least I have a better idea when I might learn something. (Names removed for privacy"

"Thank you for using My VAC Account and our secure email services. Your ELB application is still in progress. The standard processing
time is 6 to 8 weeks from the service standard start date (Nov.30, 2016). Please follow up with us again first week of February.
Thank you for your patience.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us again via My VAC Account or our toll free number 1-866-522-2122.
Sincerely,
Contact Centre Analyst
Veterans Affairs Canada"

Renegate I talk to my CM this morning on a different subject and I asked her about ELB. She mention it would be more like 8 weeks since they received lots of applications and that they have been on a skeleton crew due the the Xmas vacations. That said there is another guy see post a bit back who his request was received in Charletown on the 7 Nov and got his money in the bank at the 56 days mark so 8 weeks. Here what is frustrating with vac on vac account it tells you expect an answer after 4 weeks of receiving your application. Then you call they tell you 4 to six week. Then you call again and they say well wait a minute it is 6 to 8 weeks from the date it was received in Charlottown but nobody had mention that it takes another 4 weeks to process and get it to Charlottown . If the were to tell you right at the beginning 16 weeks then they probably wouldn't be so busy at their call centre.

Tilap61 said:
Renegate I talk to my CM this morning on a different subject and I asked her about ELB. She mention it would be more like 8 weeks since they received lots of applications and that they have been on a skeleton crew due the the Xmas vacations. That said there is another guy see post a bit back who his request was received in Charletown on the 7 Nov and got his money in the bank at the 56 days mark so 8 weeks. Here what is frustrating with vac on vac account it tells you expect an answer after 4 weeks of receiving your application. Then you call they tell you 4 to six week. Then you call again and they say well wait a minute it is 6 to 8 weeks from the date it was received in Charlottown but nobody had mention that it takes another 4 weeks to process and get it to Charlottown . If the were to tell you right at the beginning 16 weeks then they probably wouldn't be so busy at their call centre.
Tilap, Agreed!

Renegate68 FYI my ELB showed up yesterday afternoon on my VAC account. So yes about 56 days. Just don't understand how they came up with the amount, it is much more then what I was expecting. I'll have to double check with them. So now it is just waiting and see how long it will take to get money in the bank.

That is good news Tilap, I hope you see the money in the bank soon. It's probably a good idea to confirm the amount, but I am glad it's more not less than you were expecting.
Cheers,

Looks like there are some glitches in the roll out of the top up. Prior to getting injured in Afghanistan, I held a full time DND position for over a decade and was a career reservist for over 25 years. I often took military leave from my civilian position. I did the same job in uniform as I do as a civilian... so DND is accommodating my injuries in the hopes that I can eventually return to full time hours... so I have earnings while on my LTD

As part of my accommodation, I work a couple days each week. I report the earnings to SISIP for my LTD. SISIP than adjusts my LTD by 50% of my earnings.

I've only been out of the military for a year, so even though I qualify for ELB, I deal with SISIP for now. I got confirmation I qualified for the 15% top up. I filled out all the forms and included my information on my work accommodation.

I started receiving my top up last week and the math did not look right. Looks like VAC is also deducting my earnings too - from the 15% top amount. They also mailed me forms to report my earnings to them. Don't these guys talk to SISIP at all. I already report that to them.

To me - that is not right. I should be reporting my earnings to SISIP as long as I fall under their program... and this shouldn't affect my top up as I don't make enough earnings to come close to my former salary (as you can keep 50% of earnings until you hit you release pay rate, then they start clawing back 100% in excess of that amount.

My case manager doesn't appear to be too knowledgeable. She thinks that I'm not entitled to keep any earnings and VAC is clawing back the other 50%. I asked her why there would be two different rules - one for LTD and one for ELB. also, from the VAC website I read that I'm allowed to keep 50% of earnings from employment up to my former release salary (just like LTD). To me - VAC and SISIP are acting independently not realizing that there is duplication here and only one of them should be handling my earnings reporting.

Am I way off in my interpretation of how this works. Anyone got a good handle on this or in a similar position receiving the top up while have some employment earnings?

Unfortunately SISIP and VAC do not speak to each other. If they do you must sign a form allowing them to speak and it will be very specific as to what they can speak about so ensure the form covers everything. Privacy is a big deal so now no speaks to anyone without signed permission from you.

Ask to speak to someone in the ELB department to get things clarified. Although the programs are similar VAC and SISIP have different policy's and criteria. Thus I believe you will have to report earnings to both.

Back