• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DZ/LZ Controller course

M

MikeL

Hey I was wondering if anyone had any info on this course, ie pre-reqs, course length, etc. Some slots were givin to be BN for the course an I volunteered for it. My Pl CoC is checking on the pre-reqs to make sure I qualify but end day Friday I didn't hear of any change if they found out or not.

From searching on the forums all I found was that it's an Army course for NCM/Officer all trades an run at the CFLAWC Trenton. An on google all I found was the DZ/LZ Controller handbook  so I have a general idea of what will be taught on the course. But any more insight I can get is always good

Are you breathing?  Then you meet the prereqs :)

Seriously though it is a fairly common and simple course.  If you are in Bn you meet all Prereqs (which are few) to go on the course.  Have fun and try not to drink too much while on course.

Course IIRC is 5 days long.

MJP thanks for the info

An LineJumper.. I don't think Lineman need any help from me when it comes to crashing into things ;D

As much as I hate to necropost, this thread is in line with what I'm looking for and is the only topic on subject to turn up in search.

What I am looking for is joining instructions. I have been loaded on this and along with others from my unit, I am unable to track down any info. Chain of command has also been unable to clarify. Anyone who has access, or jas recently done the course at CFLAWC, that can help us out, specifically kit required, would be greatly appreciated.

Im thinking helmet, BEW, and environmental clothing?

Thanks all.

Gumby said:
As much as I hate to necropost, this thread is in line with what I'm looking for and is the only topic on subject to turn up in search.

What I am looking for is joining instructions. I have been loaded on this and along with others from my unit, I am unable to track down any info. Chain of command has also been unable to clarify. Anyone who has access, or jas recently done the course at CFLAWC, that can help us out, specifically kit required, would be greatly appreciated.

Im thinking helmet, BEW, and environmental clothing?

Thanks all.

Have you tried the CFLAWC site on the DIN? I seem to recall there being a bunch of stuff up there when I last checked it...

My info is likely dated but when I went down to Trenton to work with the DZ controller students all we used was environmental clothing, gloves decent knife and helmets (for riding the 6 wheelers). Mind you that was the air force side of the house running that course, army side might be different.

There wasn't any tactical portions. High point was listening to the pilot students working  in tandem with us get jacked up for trying to change their callsign ("No you are trucker not thunderstuck") and seeing a fully loaded trailer drop from a C130 separate from it's chutes and thunder into the runway.

Just in case you don't have DIN access (unlikely, but you never know) here is the joining instr and kit list for the course.  I have been told that a prerequisite is to have basic para, but since it's not listed anywhere on the official site or joining instr it is not a requirement.  Good luck!

Joining Instr
CANADIAN FORCES LAND
ADVANCED WARFARE CENTRE
COURSE JOINING INSTRUCTIONS
DROP ZONE/LANDING ZONE
CONTROLLER COURSE

Course Code:  103423
Qualification Code:  AGMD/AEKJ 

1. AIM.  The aim of this course is to provide the soldiers with the necessary skills and knowledge to effectively control a DZ\LZ and Austere airstrip in all operations.

2. OUTLINE OF TRAINING. The course consist of 5 training days and includes:

a. Recce, selection, layout, marking and controlling a Drop Zone;

b. Recce, selection, layout, marking and controlling of helicopter landing zones, sites or points, including marshalling; and

c. Marking and controlling an austere airstrip in support of Tactical Air Landing Operations.

3. PREREQUISITES.  To be eligible for this course, a student must :

a. Be a MCpl or above, or be a Cpl qualified either LFC JNCO OSQ 00436 for Infantry or OSQ 00437 for other arms and services when recommended by their unit CO;

b. Lt to Maj for officers; and

c. Be recommended by their unit CO.

4. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS. 

a. Students will report to the CFLAWC (located at 76E North Star) at 0730 hours on day one.  At 0720 hours, an instructor will meet the students as a group at the Pegasus Skyway gate for access to the North Side.  All personnel are to have their claims, airline tickets, route letters and ID discs with them at this time.

b. PT will take place everyday of trg. Students must be prepared for indoor and outdoor PT.

c. Students must read General Administration Instructions as well as Clothing and Equipment.  If you have Ballistic Eyewear, recommend that you bring it as part of your clothing  kit.

http://armyonline.kingston.mil.ca/LFDTS/143000440024643/CHAPTER_3_CLOTHING_A.DOC

http://armyonline.kingston.mil.ca/LFDTS/143000440024643/CHAPTER_1_GENERAL_AD.DOC

Kit List
CANADIAN FORCES LAND
ADVANCED WARFARE CENTRE
JOINING INSTRUCTIONS
CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT

301. CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT.

1. The following clothing and equipment will be required:

a. Combat clothing, including rain gear, combat jacket, gloves, Kevlar helmet and field hat;

b. Winter dress to include parkas, wind pants, mukluks, arctic mitts and issued toque for courses mid-Oct to end-April;

c. If glasses are worn, safety straps are required. Combat glasses, however are recommended;

d. PT kit including sweat suit and running shoes;

e. Be in possession of a current DND ID Card and ID Discs; and

f. CF Dress for courses being conduct on November 11.

2. Specific clothing and equipment required for certain courses is listed in annex A of this chapter and/or as an appendix for the course joining instructions.

If you have DIN access, the JIs can be accessed here:

http://armyonline.kingston.mil.ca/LFDTS/143000440024643/DZLZ_JI.DOC

Back