• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dwan laptops-Adobe PDF Reader

Call the geeks at IT to unlock a port (or all if it's a laptop heavy section) and no need to worry about baselining laptop/s.

For info:

- your unit and HHQ are currently experiencing some "technical difficulties" with SMS.  Its not a "unit" thing, its something on the Enterprise side that is being worked on by the enterprise folks.  (Yes, I am serious.)

NSDreamer said:
Heh, going through all this and having yet to succeed I have the feeling this task is not going to be acomplished in my alotted timeline. Mostly because following all these tips and on best advice of my sigs mentors still 0 process forward. Thanks for all your help, I'm going to get IT to come in when we get back in garrison and have it sorted out for the next time we go out.

-NSDreamer

Which is a round-about way of saying "we didn't prep properly, so lesson learned for next time".  8)

SMS not populating = G6 issue.

End users not ensuring their assests do what they need them to do in enough time for G6 to address it = PEBCAK issue.  >:D

Eye In The Sky said:
Which is a round-about way of saying "we didn't prep properly, so lesson learned for next time".  8)

SMS not populating = G6 issue.

End users not ensuring their assests do what they need them to do in enough time for G6 to address it = PEBCAK issue.  >:D
:oops:

NSDreamer said:
Remove the cable from the desktop, the drops lock and you can't access anything through them. They're keyed in (as near as I can figure from how it was explained to me) to the unique MAC address of the computer. To unlock them you need the IT people at the base server hub or what have you do it from the sys admin. Otherwise I'd be for this, but we had a MCpl try that exact thing earlier this year and poof a Capts computer for a week, it was not a good moment for him unfortunately  :-\

Sounds like your network admins have gotten a little overly anal with the networks switch port security - MAC address sticky.  It's unnecessary.

NSDreamer said:
This sounds like an excellent idea. Could you please explain the concept of the "laptop image" a bit further so I can explain the idea to higher. I get the general idea of what you're saying, the image is the preset, but I'm not sure what we'd need to do to initiate this.

Again,
    Thank you kindly for your help -NSDreamer

Laptop image is the group of OS and programs installed on your computer before it leaves your local sigs sp unit.  The image is made by installing programs on a first computer then copying that into an executable file that is an image of that first computer.  This image is used to create the OS and programs of all other like computers.  An image is a fairly easy thing to make and modify, very often Sigs jsut do things how they think they should be done without customer input (customer service is something government does not excel at)!

fraserdw said:
very often Sigs jsut do things how they think they should be done without customer input (customer service is something government does not excel at)!

We also do 'things' in a manner most appropriate to 'unit/nation' under very strict guidance. Not to diminish customer service by any stretch.

Occam said:
Sounds like your network admins have gotten a little overly anal with the networks switch port security - MAC address sticky.  It's unnecessary.

Infastructure issues = N6.

Their Net Mgr doesn't work for N6.  8)

Eye In The Sky said:
Infastructure issues = N6.

Their Net Mgr doesn't work for N6.  8)

Sadly, I'm intimately familiar with Halifax's network topology, thanks.  ;)

LineJumper said:
We also do 'things' in a manner most appropriate to 'unit/nation' under very strict guidance. Not to diminish customer service by any stretch.

Adobe Acrobat is one of the most important operational and administrative softwares on the DWAN.  Forms, pubs, SOPs, training material are all published in Pdf more so than any other format besides Office.  It has been 3 years since Acrobat was taken of the image, 3 years of ECRs, BNs and WOs from every unit in my formation and it is still back not on the image.  If you are constantly be briefed by your customers that you are the speed bump on the information hiway and that your product is not useful to your customers without sufficient hassle, do you not change it?  I cannot count the number of times we have complaints about a CP being slowed down because the software was not there, and that if we wanted it we would have to plug in the DWAN for 48 hours or so to get.  Give me a tool that works right out of the imaging section!

ArmyVern said:
So do we.

We do as well, although a hot swap does nto work.  I had heard that N6 was matching MAC addresses, it is more secure for the network.  One cannot take hacked DWAN laptop and join the net that way.  Of course, the Navy has always been more security conscience than most of the rest of us.

NSDreamer said:
Remove the cable from the desktop, the drops lock and you can't access anything through them. They're keyed in (as near as I can figure from how it was explained to me) to the unique MAC address of the computer. To unlock them you need the IT people at the base server hub or what have you do it from the sys admin. Otherwise I'd be for this, but we had a MCpl try that exact thing earlier this year and poof a Capts computer for a week, it was not a good moment for him unfortunately  :-\
Baselined laptops are (supposed to be) designed to push through port security settings and connect to any active DWAN drop or remotely over the internet through a secure VPN.  If you end up having a port locked down for unplugging the desktop and plugging in the laptop the local IS Cell has not configured the routers properly.

Not_So_Arty_Newbie said:
Baselined laptops are (supposed to be) designed to push through port security settings and connect to any active DWAN drop or remotely over the internet through a secure VPN.  If you end up having a port locked down for unplugging the desktop and plugging in the laptop the local IS Cell has not configured the routers properly.

If port security is set, there's nothing that can be done to the laptop or workstation that will allow it to "push through" a shutdown port.  Port security is set at the network switches, not at the router.  That said, it isn't normal for port security to be enabled for DWAN switches...at least nowhere I've seen, anyways, including Halifax.

fraserdw said:
Laptop image is the group of OS and programs installed on your computer before it leaves your local sigs sp unit.  The image is made by installing programs on a first computer then copying that into an executable file that is an image of that first computer.  This image is used to create the OS and programs of all other like computers.  An image is a fairly easy thing to make and modify, very often Sigs jsut do things how they think they should be done without customer input (customer service is something government does not excel at)!

Thank you kindly for the explanation! I think this conversation is now out of my capabilities again heh. I think I might have to take a couple courses to catch up to you all...or read a few for dummies books. ;D

Well folks that's it, further tinkering will be done back in garrison my duty shift has ended and I'm hitting ground. Have a good night all.

NSDreamer-Out.

NSDreamer said:

They are doing things that way now in the Bn lines in Windsor??

Not_So_Arty_Newbie said:

Sorry but...I laughed when I read this.

Eye In The Sky said:
They are doing things that way now in the Bn lines in Windsor??

They are indeed. It can lead for some great amounts of frustration. That being said it's nothing that's happening at our level, we're just suffering the consequences of it.

Back