• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dwan laptops-Adobe PDF Reader

NSDreamer

Full Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
  Good Morning all,

I'm currently on an exercise where  we have brought several laptops successfully hooked them up to the dwan etc (as is obvious as I am using one to post) however I seem to be unable to get pdf files to read on any of the computers. Nor when I go to add programs is adobe acrobat reader an option.

Has anyone ever encountered this and found a solution before? My sigs MCpl does not have an answer for me either unfortunately.

-NSDreamer
 
Reaction score
0
Points
160
Are you able to download adobe to it from the adobe website?  I only ask that since I know some computers used for work purposes have restrictions on downloading.  If you cannot then you might need to get an unrestricted computer and a thumb drive.  Download adobe to the thumb drive, plug thumb drive into computer you are now using, drag and drop into computer.

Just to be sure, is it windows you are using?  Are you running the pc in admin mode?
 

NSDreamer

Full Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Rojer to the windows. I'm not allowed as per our SOPs to transfer media from a non DND to these computers, nor are we allowed to download and I do not know how to check if I'm running in admin mode. I logged in standard as I would on any other DWAN computer.


(thanks for the help by the way)
 

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
14
Points
580
Almost sounds like a brand new laptop, if so it will take time for the networked programs to be populated
 

NSDreamer

Full Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
They are in fact brand spanking new, is that an issue? I'm generally found either working out of the back of a CP, with a platoon, or in an office. Formatting Laptops is new ground for me heh.
 

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
14
Points
580
NSDreamer said:
They are in fact brand spanking new, is that an issue? I'm generally found either working out of the back of a CP, with a platoon, or in an office. Formatting Laptops is new ground for me heh.

Happened to me when they replaced my desktop....
 

NSDreamer

Full Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Bugger, and it was time that populated your list? Ah well, it is what it is.
 

421_434_226

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
As mentioned earlier if this is a newly baselined laptop the authorized applications may or may not  autoupdate/install. You may try clicking on the baseline symbol and check if any updates/applications are available for installation.
Sometimes available applications can be found in the Start - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs path.
The last time I baselined a computer via network in the boonies of Pet, it was a long painful process. OK not really painful just somewhat frustrating. Unless they have installed some fibre to the outlying nodes since then.
 

NSDreamer

Full Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Heh, going through all this and having yet to succeed I have the feeling this task is not going to be acomplished in my alotted timeline. Mostly because following all these tips and on best advice of my sigs mentors still 0 process forward. Thanks for all your help, I'm going to get IT to come in when we get back in garrison and have it sorted out for the next time we go out.

-NSDreamer
 

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
14
Points
580
I don't think there is much they can do, when it happened to me my IT Rep said just give it time.... think it has to do with the ip address attached to the laptop and our security settings.....

Another thing to do is to sign out the laptop a day or two prior, hook it up to the network and let it auto push the updates to it......
 

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
1,305
Points
1,110
Try Control Panel - Run Advertised Programs

See if a PDF reader is there.
 

armyvern

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
34
Points
530
NSDreamer said:
Heh, going through all this and having yet to succeed I have the feeling this task is not going to be acomplished in my alotted timeline. Mostly because following all these tips and on best advice of my sigs mentors still 0 process forward. Thanks for all your help, I'm going to get IT to come in when we get back in garrison and have it sorted out for the next time we go out.

-NSDreamer

it's been a couple years for me, but I experienced same issue and it was explained to me then by the IT-type that the laptop is required to be plugged into a hardlined outlet at least once per 30 days for assorted virus and program updates etc. And that, if I wanted to use CFPAS etc on the laptop, I had to ensure that I actually ran the baseline install procedure while I had the laptop wired into the wall as I could not do an install/first use remotely.
 

NSDreamer

Full Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Makes sense I suppose (To most if not all of the above). It's something I think I'll keep in mind. Only issue about prepping them prior to an ex is we have no free drops in our own buildings that are active, wherever we can fit a computer, we do! :nod:
 

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
14
Points
580
Then remove the cable from the desktop and plug it into the laptop.....lol!
 
F

fraserdw

Guest
Takes up to 48 hours after connectivity for DWAN SMS to fully populate your control panel.  Your image does not have Adobe native so you have to wait.  I suggest you include this in the After Action and recommend Adobe be added to the laptop image so you can hit the ground running.
 

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
2
Points
430
FlyingDutchman said:
Are you able to download adobe to it from the adobe website?  I only ask that since I know some computers used for work purposes have restrictions on downloading.  If you cannot then you might need to get an unrestricted computer and a thumb drive.  Download adobe to the thumb drive, plug thumb drive into computer you are now using, drag and drop into computer.

You're not in the mob yet, so you wouldn't know this, but...never, ever, ever download a program from the internet and attempt to install it on a DWAN workstation or laptop. 

1.  Users are not allowed to install software unless the "Install XXXXXX" is available in the Baseline menu or Run Advertised Programs context (which means you've been authorized to install it, otherwise it wouldn't appear as an option);
2.  Only DND authorized memory sticks are authorized to be used on DND networks; and
3.  If you're using a DND authorized memory stick, it should never be used on an Internet workstation.
 

NSDreamer

Full Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
NFLD Sapper said:
Then remove the cable from the desktop and plug it into the laptop.....lol!

Remove the cable from the desktop, the drops lock and you can't access anything through them. They're keyed in (as near as I can figure from how it was explained to me) to the unique MAC address of the computer. To unlock them you need the IT people at the base server hub or what have you do it from the sys admin. Otherwise I'd be for this, but we had a MCpl try that exact thing earlier this year and poof a Capts computer for a week, it was not a good moment for him unfortunately  :-\
 

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
14
Points
580
Funny we do that all the time at my home unit and also at CFSME with the CTC Pool of laptops......
 

NSDreamer

Full Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
fraserdw said:
Takes up to 48 hours after connectivity for DWAN SMS to fully populate your control panel.  Your image does not have Adobe native so you have to wait.  I suggest you include this in the After Action and recommend Adobe be added to the laptop image so you can hit the ground running.

This sounds like an excellent idea. Could you please explain the concept of the "laptop image" a bit further so I can explain the idea to higher. I get the general idea of what you're saying, the image is the preset, but I'm not sure what we'd need to do to initiate this.

Again,
    Thank you kindly for your help -NSDreamer
 

NSDreamer

Full Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
210
NFLD Sapper said:
Funny we do that all the time at my home unit and also at CFSME with the CTC Pool of laptops......

Couldn't explain it to you myself NS, it's far far from my range of speciality unfortunately.  :dunno:
 
Top