• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DUI - Effects on Joining?

• Thread starter IanLookingForInfo
  • Start date
So if someone you knew got killed by a drunk driver its not so bad. Come on now. Driving drunk is 100% on you. No one else. And the fact that you think its ok and that you should even be looked at over someone without a dd charge makes me sick

Sigh...I'm giving up on this thread lol thanks for your removal of my mp points and your commentary everyone. Whenever I do makeit into the forces, iI'd like to meet you in person soyou can all tell me the same thing over and over again without considering my point. There's no minimization, deflection, or whatever you wish to call it in what I'm saying. What I did was wrong, no doubt about it, if you want to pretend to be saints that's all you. I know how I feel about what happened, I know I could've left a 3 year olds brain splattered across the pavement or had their mothers head smoking in my radiator. Me knowing that doesn't change that it was wrong, just like you thinking I'm minimizing doesn't change the fact I'm not. If anyone has any actual advice for me or can share an experience of theirs or a friends, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks gentlemen, and please, keep your judgements about me to yourself. Kudos to brihard and duncam for the only useful info in here, even though the former seems not to like me very much LOL

pointfiveoh said:
Sigh...I'm giving up on this thread lol thanks for your removal of my mp points and your commentary everyone. Whenever I do makeit into the forces, iI'd like to meet you in person soyou can all tell me the same thing over and over again without considering my point. There's no minimization, deflection, or whatever you wish to call it in what I'm saying. What I did was wrong, no doubt about it, if you want to pretend to be saints that's all you. I know how I feel about what happened, I know I could've left a 3 year olds brain splattered across the pavement or had their mothers head smoking in my radiator. Me knowing that doesn't change that it was wrong, just like you thinking I'm minimizing doesn't change the fact I'm not. If anyone has any actual advice for me or can share an experience of theirs or a friends, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks gentlemen, and please, keep your judgements about me to yourself. Kudos to brihard and duncam for the only useful info in here, even though the former seems not to like me very much LOL

If you can't take a little heat on here because you made fucked up decisions you're going to have a hell of a time when you get to cflrs. Goodluck.

pointfiveoh said:

Please do not mistake me for disliking you; I don't. I have too little to work off of to determine whether you're personally likeable or not, and besides that it's irrelevant. It's simply my opinion as a soldier and a leader that you are not fit to be an officer in the Canadian Forces because at this stage in your life you serve a poor example and do not reflect our professional values and ethos, and I would not be comfortable seeing my soldiers under your command nor being there myself. My viewpoint on this is strictly a professional one, not a personal one, and I would be perfectly willing to say it to your face if you insisted on that in order to take my words seriously.

Despite the very broad and varied membership here, I think very few of us will be able to relate any experiences, either personal or from friends, of people who have been admitted to ROTP and commissioned as officers coming off of recent criminal convictions for DUI. You can draw your own conclusions as to why that may be the case.

Well, what kind of officer would I make if I gave up early because a bunch of guys on the internet told me I don't stand a good chance? 5 months, 5 years, either way, I will see you guys in the forces one day, and like it or not, should some of you be NCMs when I'm done all the pre-req schooling, you might just end up working for me  ;D

pointfiveoh:

Rather than the circular argument you keep making, have a read of how serious the CAF treats Alcohol Misconduct and the consequences it has for serving members.  Then stop and think for a second about why it is you, who have done the exact same thing, should be enrolled into the CAF when you have already proven your inability to use alcohol responsibly.

DAOD 5019-7, Alcohol Misconduct

pointfiveoh said:
Well, what kind of officer would I make if I gave up early because a bunch of guys on the internet told me I don't stand a good chance? 5 months, 5 years, either way, I will see you guys in the forces one day, and like it or not, should some of you be NCMs when I'm done all the pre-req schooling, you might just end up working for me  ;D

We don't work for you. We serve under you. I advise that you EARN the respect of those under you. We may follow your orders, but what we ncms do, reflects how you look. And you can bet your ass that we won't help you if you think you're better then us.

garb811 said:
pointfiveoh:

Rather than the circular argument you keep making, have a read of how serious the CAF treats Alcohol Misconduct and the consequences it has for serving members.  Then stop and think for a second about why it is you, who have done the exact same thing, should be enrolled into the CAF when you have already proven your inability to use alcohol responsibly.

DAOD 5019-7, Alcohol Misconduct

See, now that's some useful information. Thanks man.

And artyman, I hope to some day have a team of dedicated soldiers to work with. Men and women who do what they do becsuse they want to do it, not becase their officer is a nice and respectable guy. I'd most certainly hope to earn their respect as opposed to demanding it, but if I do find someone like yourself associated with me in our duties, Ill have no issue demanding it. I do wish that wouldn't be the case, though. Oh, and if I thought I was better than you at any point, I can safely assure you it has nothing to do with what rank you hold in the military. My apologies about using the incorrect wording.

pointfiveoh said:
I'd most certainly hope to earn their respect as opposed to demanding it, but if I do find someone like yourself associated with me in our duties, Ill have no issue demanding it.

You woefully misunderstand the difference between 'respect', and 'the lawful authority that a superior exerts over their followers by virtue of rank or appointment'. Respect can be demanded until one is blue in the face, but can only be given consensually. It differs from obedience or politeness in that regard. You should also recognize that a junior officer's future is determined by many factors, and that there is a quiet but real role played by the senior NCOs appointed directly below them. I would dismiss immediately the notion that you will ever be able to 'demand respect', because we have all seen it before, it's blatantly transparent when it's happening, and it doesn't work. Respect is either earned or it is not.

Which is exactly why I included the rest of my post in my post. Demanded respect is never "respect," just the feigning of it. That being said, everyone can be an ***hole. I much prefer the other, easier way.

pointfiveoh said:
............ I'd most certainly hope to earn their respect as opposed to demanding it, but if I do find someone like yourself associated with me in our duties, Ill have no issue demanding it.

Sorry.  With all the self-centered, self-importance, superior attitude displayed in you your posts so far in this thread, the above highlighted part of your post demonstrated to me that I personally would not wish to see you as an officer in any position within the Canadian military.  I personally would have little to do with you in any capacity, military or civilian.  To put it bluntly; your attitude sucks.  One can not demand respect.

You guys ever heard of "constructive criticism?" If a thousand of you show up to this thread and speak on the subject of my attitude, my past decisions in life, whether or not I learned my lesson, or whether or not I understand a 2000 some-odd pound car can kill someone, I'm still not going to give up on this.I asked for advice, not your opinion of me. If you'd like to suggest how I should better my attitude or how I should go about improving my chances, I'm all ears, but I'm not gonna argue in circles with you guys. Remember that you who are in the forces have benefitted from being there, you are the angels you are partially because of your military training and experience, I haven't got that benefit yet, I'm here because I don't know jack s*** about this, from attitude to Zulu.

Reading over some of my posts, I can see why some of you have developed early bad opinions of me. I'd like to apologize for many of those posts as I simply let myself get annoyed with you guys about your comments (more so the ones about me as a person, or the DUI criticisms, and those of you who think I'm stupid enough to not know what I did was wrong). I'm not some self centered prick, and the last thing I want to be is that officer yelling at everyone that I'm sure nobody would miss if there were an "accidental explosion."

Anyway, please continue to share advice, information and experiences with us as I know I won't be then last to search this topic.

You got advice a page and a half ago. Your conviction will effect your application in a negative way until such time that you apply for and receive a pardon. You also cannot apply to the CAF if you have a current judicial obligation.

So sorry that you don't like hearing that you screwed up, but you put yourself out there. If you really want to be in the CAF, learn to deal with being told directly when you've screwed something up.

pointfiveoh said:
You guys ever heard of "constructive criticism?"

::)

I guess everything so far has flown miles over your head.  If you haven't picked up on any of the points yet, we really don't see much hope of your ever applying successfully to become a member of the Canadian Armed Forces, let alone an officer.

Perhaps it is best if you suck back and read more and post less. 

If you get into the CF as say, an Armoured Officer and become a Lieutenant, are put into a Troop Leader slot, please come back after you "demand" the respect of the Tp WO, the Sergeant-Major, and the RSM and let us know how that worked out for you.  :nod:

I don't know about others, but this thread made me think of this training video.    ;D

Alright, that's fair. That being said, I got the point it will affect my application pages ago, and even to some degree before I made this thread lol what I'm asking for is anyone else's experience with applying to the cf with a record, possibly for a criminal driving offence, and, even if they were initially denied, how they eventually got in. Be it a pardon, volunteering, whatever they did...I've only really got info from two people on their direct experience. Anyone elses information on the question is great too.

pointfiveoh said:
<snip> what I'm asking for is anyone else's experience with applying to the cf with a record, <snip>

Some here.

Recruiting > "Criminal Record (merged)":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12896.0.html

mariomike said:
Some here.

Recruiting > "Criminal Record (merged)":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12896.0.html

Awesome, that's perfect, thanks.

you must have missed my post, I have been convicted of and did the whole deal the DUI thing in 1999, was enrolled into the forces in 2009.  I received a pardon in 2009 for my stupidity.

The difference with what you will experience in the CF with your current attitude is people under you will do exactly what you ask, no more no less.  They do only what is ordered and will never stick their neck out to save yours period.

I would love to see how many days of Base Duty you would receive for thinking you out rank the RSM or the CWO of your unit....lol

Finally my last bit of advice:
Shut the fuck up and listen to what's going on around you, if you are 22 understand this, You DO NOT NOW SHIT ABOUT SHIT, if you think you do, you don't.
To improve you application, expect to spend 5 years getting into the forces, get a Pardon for your crime and DO NOT RE-OFFEND in any way.
Start volunteering, hold a job that you can advance in, build some good things on your resume.  Maybe start doing adventure type races, keep building your physical side, etc.

Basically anything you do that can be seen as a positive and placed on your resume will look good to the CF.

But you are definitely not currently ready for CF life, you'd VR in a mater of week.  you need to learn how to be humble and take advice, learn when to shut up and learn when to talk.

Lastly:
Remember as a Ocdt you are BELOW a recruit on the "rank" scale, as a 2Lt you will be slightly higher but still very low on the scale.

Back