• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drunken Aussie Soldiers introduce new scandal

Trooper Hale

Inactive
Reaction score
Shared with all that good stuff that everyone always posts up here

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22194481-31477,00.html

Soldiers' Binge OK: Howard

JOHN Howard and Brendan Nelson have defended the conduct of drunken soldiers in a video posted on internet site YouTube, saying the young men were just letting off steam.

The 3 1/2-minute video, titled My Experience in the Australian Army, posted by an ex-soldier but now removed from YouTube, shows a group of young men getting extremely drunk during a drinking game.

The soldiers, from Robertson Barracks in Darwin, are shown sculling alcohol through a long tube and then vomiting.

The brief appearance of someone in a Ku Klux Klan outfit has caused widespread comment but the Prime Minister said the soldiers were letting off "a bit of steam" and urged the public not to overreact.

"I have some understanding of the disposition of people in these situations to let off a bit of steam," Mr Howard said.

"I just think people can overreact with these things. People get into a lather and sweat and so on ... Let's be sensible about this."

Mr Howard said any discipline was a matter for the army.

"Let the military deal with those things in their own way," he said.

The Defence Minister said he would wait for the army's report into the incident.

"Let's just wait until the Chief of Army and the military investigate the matter before we start jumping to conclusions and start to criticise the men who appear to have been involved," Dr Nelson said. "I suspect a lot of it is ... a bit of larrikin irreverence and I also suspect some of it has crossed the line and is quite inappropriate."

Brigadier Craig Orme, commander of Darwin's 1st Brigade, said the video was shot by a now former member of the Australian Defence Force about three years ago.

He said the conduct was "abhorrent and inappropriate" and "not in the least" common, and the army would launch an inquiry to determine what action if any should be taken.

The bloke who posted this must be a total dickhead. I mean, seriously, he must be a tool to think that posting him and his mates getting slaughtered and making sure everyone knows it was an army thing, was a good idea. 1st Brigade commander, Brigadier Orme, said that his fellow soldiers would be disappointed in him, i think everyone in the ADF will be disappointed in him and he should lose a lot of friends over his stupid decision to put this on youtube.
When ever i make a slide-show for a recruiting thing i'm doing i always make sure the photos are appropriate. Theres photos that you show the public, and theres photos that you keep for you and your mates. Under no circumstances should the two be mixed.
This chap is a mongoloid retard for making this mistake and making the army a laughing stock, he should be ashamed of himself.

We have 'em too, just a tosser with a big rock and a pool of shit; he doesn't care who gets splashed when he throws the rock in.

Splashed all over the news today and yesterday.

At the end of the day, whoever posted this, new the results, and he should have his arse kicked. I am sur his mates will sort him out

Just lads being lads, and just blowing off some steam. Either 2 Cav or 1st Armd, and this is over 3 yrs old.

Our ole enemy, the media sucking it for all its worth.

Spineless gutless wannabee journalists, not fit to wipe my arse.

Cheers,

Wes

Its funny how they jump on this stuff though isnt it? There are thousands of videos on youtube of people doing far worse stuff. But because this one has members of the Australian Army in it its suddenly the most shocking thing in the world. Its unfair to rip into these blokes, who are your average 20-odd year old individuals, for getting pissed and having a good time. Its a non-issue.
At the same time though, i still reckon its just asking for trouble to post anything like this on the net. I reckon old mate will definitely get sorted out by the boys when they see him next. And he definitely deserves whatever he gets. Its just plain stupid and irresponsible to post stuff like this on youtube. 

Now, you wants a video of me sucking down Beer Bongs, trashed, while in Uniform? Whats that Mr. Friendly reporter? I've just made your day? Well why would that be? Surely you haven't got some sort of ADF bashing agenda?.....

Wesley  Down Under said:
Our ole enemy, the media sucking it for all its worth.

Spineless gutless wannabee journalists, not fit to wipe my arse.

So it is the journalist's fault this was posted on youtube? Then I guess it is also the journalist's fault that it makes papers sell and viewers tune in? It was the idiot who video taped it, posted it and those involved in it who are to blame for it being in the public domain.

Heh... that's the problem with everone having video & still cameras ... even if it's a lousy cell phone cam.
Why would you really want to film such an activity except to embarass someone at a later date?  Too easy to have these clips flopping around on a DVD or hard drive .... with the eventual result that they end up on Youtube of whatever....

Guess we'll have to integrate a video declaration to go along with the ammo declaration at the end of all "training" activities.

Australian troops aren't allowed camera's in Afghanistan because of the fear of them taking photos or films of something that embarrasses the ADF and/or the Government.
Its a tricky thing to monitor i suppose, there will always be a dickhead who films something bad (like everyone else) and then sends off that bad thing for everyone to see. The wonder of the digital world is that the newspapers and TV stations back home can have that photo of you pretending to bash your mates dressed as Arabs within a couple of minutes of one of your stupid mates sending it to even stupider mates back home.

Its a tricky situation to have to deal with and decide whether or not you can say "look fellers, no cameras when we're doing this" because of the off chance something bad happens and someone distributes it.

Bad things happen, when people flaunt stuff like this for the public to see. Great example is the disbandment of Canada's airborne regiment because someone made a bad decision and decided to show a movie clip of an initiation to the wrong person.

It was taken to a level were it should never have gone, but by then it was to late because the damage had already been done and the rest as we say, is history.

Grunt.... WRT the CAR - question being....
WTF? - why was it filmed in the 1st place?

geo said:
Grunt.... WRT the CAR - question being....
WTF? - why was it filmed in the 1st place?

Why do sailors film their "Crossing of the Equator"?

Why do soldiers use cell phones to take pictures in the toilet?

Why do students film their Frosh Events?

Why do Sports Teams film their initiations?

Why does Paris Hilton drive drunk?

Why does Lindsey Lohan drink and party naked?

I suppose that could the considered the "Universal Question?"...........WHY?

Why?... the are "the weakest link".... and they should be culled - for the benefit of the herd

geo said:
Why?... the are "the weakest link".... and they should be culled - for the benefit of the herd
Well when you say it like that it makes perfect sense! ;D

bloody media. you'd think they'd get tired of these totally overblown, BS stories. And you'd hope more of the public would realise a cop car chasing hack when they read his work.

Wesley  Down Under said:
At the end of the day, whoever posted this, new the results, and he should have his arse kicked.

Gramps,

Read my above quote.

The journalists just picked up it from youtube. Still spinless aren't they. The media are like sharks on a wounded dugong! Just waiting to smear shyte on our Defence Force. Ya, all blown up away out of what it really is.

We rarely get anything said good about us, only if we are attacked or if someone is WIA or KIA.

Wes

Wes,

Understood, it must be the heat here that is getting to me. Cheers.

As much as I intensely dislike some sectors of the media, as long as people do stupid and offensive things like for example, scrawling a swastika with human excrement on a black CAR member or donning a KKK outfit (this is an organisation that some of us of a certain colour because of past experiences regard as a TERRORIST organisation), and as long they are stupid and callous enough to film it, let's lay the blame where it should lie, not with the reporters (as much as I can't stand much of the press).  If those Aussie soldiers had just done something like donning a dress or putting a bra on their head then i'd be the first to defend them.  I've seen Royal Navy sailors on shore leave in St. Kitts get drunk, fall down in the middle of the city's main thoroughfare on a Saturday night and hold up traffic, but us Kittitians just laughed it off or shrugged because we knew these men sail into harm's and needed to relieve the pressure of a demanding and dangerous job.  After the Falklands War especially, Kittitians were very sympathetic and accomodating to RN sailors.  Some actions are indefensible however. 

P.S. Oh and let's not blame the demise of the CAR just on the "wrong" person getting filmed undergoing initiation.  That was just the straw that broke the camel's back, we all know things started falling apart after the incidents in Somalia.

Young Australian soldiers getting drunk on beer, this is a news story? Must be a slow day.  ::)

Back