• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drivers Licence

troopadore

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if it was easier to get your civilian licence if you are in the army? Does anyone know?

No. It makes no difference. You'll still have to do graduated licencing for whatever Province you reside in regardless of whether or not you're qualified to drive military vehicles.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if your qualified to drive military vehicles does that help out with insurance any?

Jordan411 said:
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if your qualified to drive military vehicles does that help out with insurance any?

Nope. 

HOWEVER - the Defensive Drivers Course which usually (I thought) accompanies Basic Driver Training may be of some use regarding insurance.  The effect of the DDC on insurance rates will differ from province to province, and from company to company - so I can't say with any certainty.

Isn't the DDC still required??

Aparently if you take your drivers course it counts as basic driver training so you can get your liscense... or thats what the recruiter told me..

Hunter, what he told you is bull****! I know several younger guys who had to go through the normal process to get their civvie licence, even though they we "driver wheel" qualified. But it might depends of the province.   But retired CC is right reference the DDC course. In some provinces ,it might help you reduce your insurance rates. Anyways ,in New-Brunswick ,they don't care about the DDC.

Retired CC said:
Isn't the DDC still required??

Yes it is, as well as the safe backing course. Supposed to have it before driving military vehicles...

swanita said:
Yes it is, as well as the safe backing course. Supposed to have it before driving military vehicles...

Thanks for the clarification.

As far as "supposed to have it", I hear you.  Some time I'll tell the story of how I acquired my 404's in '82 - it won't make anybody (especially any civilians reading) extremely comfortable!!

My insurance said they accepted my Defensive Drivers course from the military, but i also had Young Drivers of Canada and they only accept 1 or the other for deduction purposes.

delavan said:
Hunter, what he told you is bull****! I know several younger guys who had to go through the normal process to get their civvie licence, even though they we "driver wheel" qualified. But it might depends of the province.   But retired CC is right reference the DDC course. In some provinces ,it might help you reduce your insurance rates. Anyways ,in New-Brunswick ,they don't care about the DDC.

Thanks Delavan...apreciate that being cleared up

Back