• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Driver Wheeled

Dog

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been slotted to go on a Driver Wheeled course in Meaford for 2 months.... What takes two months to learn? Is this typical of DW courses?

Typical Course EO/PO List:
DDC
Hazardous Material
Dangerous Goods
Rules of the Road
Understanding the Proper Actions to Be Taken At the Scene of an Accident
Prevent and Fight Vehicle Fires
LSVW
State the Basic Characteristics And Locate & Identify the Main Exterior Components of the LSVW w/Trailer
Identify the Components of the Drivers & Crew Compartment And Explain the Operation of Selected Components
Operate the Cargo Area Equipment
Service the Cooling System
Service the Lubricating System
Service Fuel, Air Intake, Exhaust
Service Steering And Brake System
Service Power Train & Suspension
Service the Electrical System
Perform the Daily Inspection (First, Halt & Last Parades) To Include Trip Tickets
Driver Information Test (DIT) & Supp Test
Service the LSVW
Start Up, Warm Up, Move off, Steer, Stop, Reverse, Shut Down & Slave Start the LSVW
Safe Backing Course
Ground Guide the LSVW
Couple And Uncouple A Trailer
Action On Occupying Harbours & Hides (Lecture)
Recover & Tow
Action On Occupying Harbours & Hides
Drive Tracks & Trails
Drive At Night
MSE ROAD TEST (1066)
MLVW
State the Basic Characteristics And Locate & Identify the Main Exterior Components of the MLVW W/Trailer
Operate the Cargo Area Components
Service the Cooling System
Service the Lubricating System
Service the Fuel, Air Intake & Exhaust System
Service the Brake System
Service the Power Steering & Suspension
Service the Power Train
Perform the Daily Inspection (First, Halt & Last Parades) To Include Trip Tickets
Couple And Uncouple A Trailer
Start Up, Warm Up, Move off, Steer, Stop, Reverse, Shut Down & Slave Start the MLVW
Ground Guide the MLVW
Drive On Highways & Through Built Up Areas
Drive On Highways & In Built Up Areas (Night)
Recover & Tow
Drive Tracks & Trails
Drive At Night
MSE ROAD TEST (1066)
Clean & Turn In Equipment
MILCOT
MILCOT Conversion Course

Thanks, that's a more complete answer than I expected.

So just the 3 vehicles? HL is it's own seperate course?

Dog,
Yes HLVW is a separate course.

I aim to please when answering a question - G-Wagon is also separate.

Sorry guys, I was a bit late on that question.

Thanks for covering me.  ;)

Too bad about the HL.... I was hoping..... *sigh*

So I get Dangerous Goods as well? Excellent.
What is DDC?

DDC = Defensive Driving Course

You should also get a Safe Backing Course as well.

PMedMoe said:
DDC = Defensive Driving Course

You should also get a Safe Backing Course as well.

SBC is on the list I provided below.

Frostnipped Elf said:
SBC is on the list I provided below.

Seen.  I wasn't looking for it under the individual vehicle but as a general course.
conf45.gif

The fun course is the WDC (Winter driving course)

When I took mine, they would ice up an auxiliary runway @St Hubert airport.
(Unfortunately for Base transport, the Fire department also hosed down the snowbanks)
Dual pedaled staff cars didn't have a chance!  >:D

Dog said:
I've been slotted to go on a Driver Wheeled course in Meaford for 2 months.... What takes two months to learn? Is this typical of DW courses?

There is also the actual DRIVING component.  You have to drive a specified number minimum # of km (Don't recall off the top of my head, I think its over 100km per vehicle, I am sure an MSE Op will fill me in), on highway, through built up areas, during the day and at night, multiply that by the number of candidates and built-in extra time for those who need a little more practice (because there will be handful that need it), and now you can start to see why this can take 2 months.  If they still taught the Iltis it be  longer, cause you would need to teach half the class to drive standard. 8)

I did my Driver Wheeled course less then a year ago, covering only the G-Wagon and the MLVW. We also did the DDC, safe backing, and dangerous goods. All said and done, the course took just under a month to complete.

2 Months seems a bit long to me...

Might be. But according to the TP's for the ML and LS both are supposed to be 10 days long each.

Wonderbread said:
I did my Driver Wheeled course less then a year ago, covering only the G-Wagon and the MLVW. We also did the DDC, safe backing, and dangerous goods. All said and done, the course took just under a month to complete.

2 Months seems a bit long to me...

Well he is also doing LS as well, maybe they are a large group?

NFLD Sapper said:
Maybe it's a weekend course?

I did my drivers course on the weekends, we went from Oct 01 - May 02, every other weekend (save for xmas, and march break), we also had 2 platoons of candidates.

Back