• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Driver Wheeled

Not a weekend course, it's going to be running full-time... I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks 2 months is a tad lengthy.

Driver Wheeled Courses in Meaford are being run by a civilian contractor company for DND, like Gagetown and 1 Fd Amb. I don't know if contractor are being used in other bases. All vehicles have their own TP/QS's. If there is a large number (max 24 students per course) of students the contractor might concentrate a couple of courses on a specific veh, then go onto another vehs for a couple of courses or there is a shortage of the specific vehicles or instructors causing this to turn into 2 months. I have taught 6 weeks on Driver Wheeled courses that included 3 SMP vehs (not the HLVW) while in Petawawa.

I'm nominated for a weekend course covering only the MLs, running from ~3 Feb to ~30 May; it appears to be 5 weekends, so 10 days.  Not sure if they're doing it with Friday nights or even if they're overnighting.  As far as I can tell, it is being run by a service battalion.

CanadianTire said:
I'm nominated for a weekend course covering only the MLs, running from ~3 Feb to ~30 May; it appears to be 5 weekends, so 10 days.  Not sure if they're doing it with Friday nights or even if they're overnighting.  As far as I can tell, it is being run by a service battalion.

3 Feb - 30 May is only 5 weekends?  I gotta get me a new calendar......

CanadianTire said:

You will be driving on some nights to get your night driving experiance an if it's run like my ML course you will have 1 over nighter out in Chilliwack(you'll stay on the base) during the field driving portion.

PMedMoe said:
3 Feb - 30 May is only 5 weekends?  I gotta get me a new calendar......

Did I type May?  I might have meant to type March.  But maybe it is May...taking into account the junior ranks ball, a week long range ex in March for all the infantry regiments, and so on and so forth.

hmm yea 2 months seems a bit long im slotted for dvr wheeled in meaford, jan 28-feb 22nd???......for ls ml and milcot.....i guess ill see u there just look for Leroux,bomber type :)

Yeah, it was March 30.  Don't know why I was thinking May.

And supposedly the course starts on a Sunday.  Odd for a weelend course.  Unless they made a mistake on the dates.

geo said:
The fun course is the WDC (Winter driving course)

When I took mine, they would ice up an auxiliary runway @St Hubert airport.
(Unfortunately for Base transport, the Fire department also hosed down the snowbanks)
Dual pedaled staff cars didn't have a chance!  >:D

My brand new E-Cab didn't have a chance! I love that course! I would re-do it in a heart beat.  >:D

WDC is a lot of fun.
Hair raising for the instructor but fun for the candidate.

The snowbanks is supposed to make the course relatively harmless...  Hosing down the snowbanks wasn't part of the program though.
Crash & bang - plenty of opportunities to practice filling out the driver's report of an accident.

2 Months for only LS, ML, and MILCOT sounds really lengthy to me as well.

I'm on my driver Wheel here at 2RCR and its supposed to be just over 2 months long and we are doing ML, LS, Airbrakes and LAV III. I wonder where all the extra time is coming from.

Let’s not forget the other important parts of a long course

1 Entry Paperwork (possibly completed by course finish)
2  Coffee, making, drinking & cleaning up
3 Stand around and wait while they reorg the course due to (insert technical term for screwup here)
4 Inspection parades, base parade, squadron parade, parade for unknown reasons, etc
5 Repeat steps 2&3 as required
6 Early Friday departures for happy hour
7 Possible charge parade on Monday (see 6)
8 Diversity and harassment refresher due to above
9 Repeat steps 2&3 as required
10 Volunteered to assist in BCWO rock painting parade
11 Wait turn for vehicle as only half of the vehicles requested arrived
12 Wait while vehicle is getting fixed (parts to arrive day after course is finished)
13 Exit paperwork

Colin... you forgot the mandatory Sports / PT periods...

Well, I ended up not on my MLVW course because I was told -in typical reserve fashion- three days before it was set to start that I needed the LSVW course.  Something to do with the cooling system not being taught on the MLVW course, but it is taught on the LSVW course even though the LS has a different system than the ML.

Oh well.  I shall remain DDC qualified yet unable to drive any military vehicles until the fall.  :p

Canadiantire...
Under normal conditions, you aren't supposed to be loaded onto a DND sponsored DDC course before having your DND404s.  At one time, you even had to wait 12 months from receiving 404s before being judged "ready".

At least, with the DDC, you might be able to parlay yourself with a better civy insurance rate.... not wasted time at all.

geo said:
Canadiantire...
Under normal conditions, you aren't supposed to be loaded onto a DND sponsored DDC course before having your DND404s.  At one time, you even had to wait 12 months from receiving 404s before being judged "ready".

At least, with the DDC, you might be able to parlay yourself with a better civy insurance rate.... not wasted time at all.

really? during our DP1, before any driving we did a 2 day session on DDC. 

Intresting...I've been DDC for a year now.  I got it before I even got my SQ.  Except mine was only one day.  I wonder if there are differrent DDCs out there - the one I did was basically an Ontario provincial DDC.  But that's interesting about the insurance.  I'll have to try that, except my actual DDC certificate supposedly resides in the QM and not with me.

I would gather that it's a question of Philosophy...
Will the driving techniques discussed on the DDC mean anything to someone who has not driven before?
After having driven for a little while, the material covered on the DDC begin to mean something.

DDC on 1 day VS 2.... Two day course is split DDC both mornings and Safe Backing Course done in the Afternoon...

Canadiantire... ask your QM for a copy (if not original) of your DDC certificate.  Your insurance company will by force of habbit, penalise now/young drivers with a high insurance rate / high deductible.... some insurers will take DDC & SBC training into account & give you credit for "advanced training" that most newby drivers don't have.

Back