• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drill and Ceremonial

D&C was interesting to watch this year. They didn't get blakies (poor blokes), and the flag drill was really different from when I was the commander in 2005. I have to admit though that the new way they did the feu-de-joie was a lot more professional looking.

Buschgirl427 said:
D&C was interesting to watch this year. They didn't get blakies (poor blokes), and the flag drill was really different from when I was the commander in 2005. I have to admit though that the new way they did the feu-de-joie was a lot more professional looking.

Just curious how it has changed. (I did D&C in 2002)

Buschgirl427 said:

What was different with the flag drill, I wasn't really watching.

They didn't do a right dress for the Feu-De-Joie; rather they turned and marched into centre and it did look a lot better - it's wrong, though. However, that said I hope they keep doing it the wrong way.

Cadets, (and CF members) as of Sep 06 can no longer modify the soles of their boots, so clickers are gone.

D. Nicholson said:
What Pl were you? I was 3Pl 3Sec

I was 2 platoon, and can't remember which section. (Was Platoon WO for our company grade parade, if that helps identify me at all..)

Good luck Buschgirl.  I'm sure you'd be a great CSM.

Why would I want a CL coy when I could do drill all the time? Theres nothing better.

Buschgirl427 said:
Why would I want a CL coy when I could do drill all the time? Theres nothing better.

First, you will do more drill in CL than you will in CLI D&C because there are more parades and formal organized events... you will teach more drill in CLI D&C though.

Here are several reasons why I would rather be the CSM of a CL Coy, rather G Coy
1. CLI D&C doesn't have diverse training, you will do the same thing all summer and wow it gets boring fast;
2. The SCdts in GCoy are ussually not particuarly pleasant to deal with, they feel that somehow being assigned to GCoy has made them "special" Warrant Officers;
3. There are a lot of Junior Officers, double that of a CL Coy;
4. CLI D&C, next to Band, had the most disciplinary and medical related issues in the two summers I was there - 2004 & 2005;
5. As part of the above, there are a lot of Cadets that aren't motivated to succeed -> Cadets in CL are generally more positive albeit a little bit roudy;
6. The walk from GCoy lines to PD is very long, and I am very lazy;
7. There are so many special events going on. When I was in ECoy I had about 2 days a week off (1 day, 2 1/2 days) and in GCoy I had 1 day off in 22 days, and that was Mess;
8. You don't get breakfast, you're scehdule doesn't allow it. Omlettes are deliscious and I wanted more of them;
9. A large part of being a CSM is PD of SCdts, and I found in GCoy I was filling mainly an instructional/administration role that deviates strongly from the CSM TORs;
10. You get a bigger desk with the CL Coys, and everyone loves desks!;
11. And to be blunt, you get sick of loosing everything. When I was a DS WO in 2004 my Pl rocked the Bn but that's generally not true of GCoy.

I'm already used to not having days off. As 1 of 2 female Sgts in Delta in 2006, and Echo coy seemingly NEVER putting their staff on barracks duty when they were supposed to(we shared a barrack block), I ended taking so many extra shifts that my plt Comdr pulled me into the office one day about 4th week and said "If I catch you taking any more extra shifts, you're done". But I loved staff. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Delta was on one side of the barracks and echo and charlie were on the other. It seemed to me like charlie sgts were always on barracks duty.

Cdt/Cpl Muir said:
It seemed to me like charlie sgts were always on barracks duty.

Yes the Charlie Sergeants both male and female  worked very very very very very verrrryyyyy hard this summer.  But it was one of the best summers I've ever had.  We had some great cadets and great staff, we broke the Charlie curse!

Buschgirl427 said:
I'm already used to not having days off.

Thats what staffing is all about.  I highly recommend staffing, its such a great learning experience and so much fun.  Hope to see you all in Vernon this summer!

Charlie won the penant in 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005, but not 2006. So didn't you really just start the "curse" again?  ;D

Really? I heard charlie won the penant for the first time in 13 years in 2005. Oh well, all I know is we didn't win it in 2006.

And I agree that there was definitely a curse on charlie, or at least still on us females. There didn't seem to be a week where there wasn't    some girls freaking out at night because of something! It's understandable to be concerned or worried if your friend has to go to the MIR because the collapsed or if they got heat stroke (one girl ended up going to the MIR like 4 times for heat stroke! god damn it why can't people just learn to drink water!). But when girls are freaking out, sobbing and crowding around the sick person and screaming it doesn't help! I don't get it! It's basic knowledge that if other people are sick or something freaking out doesn't help! It doesn't help when people work themselves up to the point of throwing up!

I'm guessing the males didn't have the same problem. It sucked!

D. Nicholson said:
What was different with the flag drill, I wasn't really watching.

They didn't do a right dress for the Feu-De-Joie; rather they turned and marched into centre and it did look a lot better - it's wrong, though. However, that said I hope they keep doing it the wrong way.

Cadets, (and CF members) as of Sep 06 can no longer modify the soles of their boots, so clickers are gone.

Is there a CANFORGEN to state that you cannot use clickers? I know of many people that still use them

the 13 years thing was a morale booster, and a joke.

we came up with it once we realized CCoy was going to win...  ;)

JR84 said:
Is there a CANFORGEN to state that you cannot use clickers? I know of many people that still use them
I guess someone forgot to tell my Sgt, DSM and our entire flag party. lol.

It's been a while since I was in Vernon. I was in Charlie in 2001, and I don't remember winning the penant that year. But, my memory could just be sucking these days. I do remember hearing about the "charlie curse" though, although I am not sure what the "conditions" were.

Back