• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dress Regulations - The Minimum Standard?

jpjohnsn said:
So, first thing Monday morning a Cree soldier transferring into this hypothetical unit shows up with braids.  The RSM's response, in light of the global enforcement is...?

Now this is looking like someone asking questions after NOT HAVING READ the CAF Regulations.

1.  The poster's inclusion of the terms "OCdt" and "Squadron" suggests an RMC discussion, where military fashion (and circumventing tip-toeing around regulations) may be a topic of high interest.

2.  For enforcing tattoo policies, one need only look south of the border to the new US Army policy, which includes:

- no ink on neck, head, below the wrist.
- no visible band tattoos more than 2" wide, and only one; No sleeves or legs.
- Each visible tattoo below the elbow or knee must be smaller than the size of the wearer's extended hand; no more than four allowed.
Soldiers who currently violate these revisions can be grandfathered in as long as commanders validate their current tattoos. Also, each year, commanders much check each Soldier for new tattoos that might be prohibited. The checks will be done when Soldiers are in their physical fitness uniform and do not include tattoos that might be hidden by the shorts or T-shirts.

As near as I can tell, the immediate response is for the troops to rush out and get more ink before the Regs go into effect so that they're "grandfathered"  (no one group of people, military or civilian, has a cornered market on trying to "beat the system"  ;)  )

jpjohnsn said:
So, first thing Monday morning a Cree soldier transferring into this hypothetical unit......
  :not-again:

Journeyman said:
1.  The poster's inclusion of the terms "OCdt" and "Squadron" suggests an RMC discussion, where military fashion (and circumventing tip-toeing around regulations) may be a topic of high interest.

2.  For enforcing tattoo policies, one need only look south of the border to the new US Army policy, which includes:

- no ink on neck, head, below the wrist.
- no visible band tattoos more than 2" wide, and only one; No sleeves or legs.
- Each visible tattoo below the elbow or knee must be smaller than the size of the wearer's extended hand; no more than four allowed.
Soldiers who currently violate these revisions can be grandfathered in as long as commanders validate their current tattoos. Also, each year, commanders much check each Soldier for new tattoos that might be prohibited. The checks will be done when Soldiers are in their physical fitness uniform and do not include tattoos that might be hidden by the shorts or T-shirts.

As near as I can tell, the immediate response is for the troops to rush out and get more ink before the Regs go into effect so that they're "grandfathered"  (no one group of people, military or civilian, has a cornered market on trying to "beat the system"  ;)  )

:not-again:

Under that situation though, it is the ENTIRE US Army that is being affected.  In the OP's (hypothetical?) scenario, how would a unit be able to mandate and enforce a no tattoo policy, when they are perfectly acceptable in the rest of the CAF?

On the subject of tattoos:
If you enroll with tattoos already outside the CFDIs...(it does happen), no problem.
If you get a tattoo that goes against the current CFDI, you can be disciplined.

Bioroots said:
Don't forget a lot of the dress manual say.  At the rsm discretion

:facepalm:  Seriously?  Have you even read the CAF Dress Instruction?  Nowhere does that phrase appear therein.

Bioroots said:
Don't forget a lot of the dress manual say.  At the rsm discretion

I'm an RSM. I have no discretion when it comes to the Dress Manual. It's gospel.

Now go on listening silence for a while......you're out of your arcs on this one.

Jammer said:
Seriously?

Go away...now.
So your telling me that when we where told to have tapered hair in the back because the Rsm did not want square there lying to us, and none of the SNCO never said one thing about it. Never look it up my self just went on what i was told by the COC. 

Bioroots said:
So your telling me that when we where told to have tapered hair in the back because the Rsm did not want square there lying to us, and none of the SNCO never said one thing about it. Never look it up my self just went on what i was told by the COC.

I take your comment above as your having failed to adhere to QR&O 5.01.

I understand your leadership has failed you, but this is not "their fault."

You are right and i have learn my lesson and will provided ref to and further post I make ref regulation.

Bioroots said:

'Hair shall be taper trimmed at the back, sides, and above the ears to blend with the hair-style; be no more than 15 cm (6 in.) in length and sufficiently short that, when the hair is groomed and headdress is removed, no hair shall touch the ears or fall below the top of the eyebrows; be no more than 4 cm(1-1/2 in.) in bulk at the top of the head, gradually decreasing to blend with the taper-trimmed sides and back; and be kept free from the neck to a distance of 2.5 cm (1 in.) above the shirt collar. Taper trimmed square back styles and shaving of all the hair on the head are permitted.'

So, saying that the hair had to be taper trimmed wasn't wrong after all. Your S\NCO's weren't shirking their duty and the RSM wasn't making things up as he went along.

You have to read the WHOLE reg(s) not just the part you think applies to you. Not knowing the full conversation, or seeing, hearing, reading what your RSM said only gives us half the story. Your side.

And just from the above your track record, of being in error, is already established.

recceguy said:
'Hair shall be taper trimmed at the back, sides, and above the ears to blend with the hair-style; be no more than 15 cm (6 in.) in length and sufficiently short that, when the hair is groomed and headdress is removed, no hair shall touch the ears or fall below the top of the eyebrows; be no more than 4 cm(1-1/2 in.) in bulk at the top of the head, gradually decreasing to blend with the taper-trimmed sides and back; and be kept free from the neck to a distance of 2.5 cm (1 in.) above the shirt collar. Taper trimmed square back styles and shaving of all the hair on the head are permitted.'

So, saying that the hair had to be taper trimmed wasn't wrong after all. Your S\NCO's weren't shirking their duty and the RSM wasn't making things up as he went along.

You have to read the WHOLE reg(s) not just the part you think applies to you. Not knowing the full conversation, or seeing, hearing, reading what your RSM said only gives us half the story. Your side.

And just from the above your track record, of being in error, is already established.
At the risk of putting words in their mouth, I suspect that the poster was talking about the part I highlight in your quote of the dress regs and not a true square cut style.  Both rounded and square back taper styles are authorized but. like braids on females, not everyone is on board with that. 

jpjohnsn said:
At the risk of putting words in their mouth, I suspect that the poster was talking about the part I highlight in your quote of the dress regs and not a true square cut style.  Both rounded and square back taper styles are authorized but. like braids on females, not everyone is on board with that.

As I said, we really don't have any way of knowing what was truly said.

jpjohnsn said:

That what I was talking about. 

Back