• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dress During Final Release Appt

Our former CDS (the former green guy, not the recently former RCN one) got angry at the aircrew at 437 Sqn (Polaris unit) when they didn’t serve him a snack quick enough or recognize that he was the CDS (as the story goes). His punishment was they had to wear they DEU everywhere except over the skies of Iraq while conducting AAR ops. Dudes were flying into Kuwait for a transport mission, wearing their shiney blues. This is why we see DEUs as punshiment, because our senior leaders set the example and use them as such...

My dress of the day is salt an peppers and I hate the uniform. It's poorly made and very uncomfortable. My only saving grace is Logistick Unicorps is completely out of stock and my pants have all fallen apart.

In my opinion we need 2 orders of dress; a Work/Combat uniform and a Parade/Formal uniform. The former should be for every day use whether operational or in an office and the latter should be for formal occasions or parades. But its the CAF we complicate everything.

I purchased 4 pairs of black non wrinkle pants with the "action waist" :) and I'm always comfortable wearing them. I put in a request through the clothing and dress committee to get these type through Logistik Corp. Talking with Logistik corp I found out that they already have those type of pants in stock but the military has yet to request the change.
I have yet to see if my request has made it to the Naval Cothing and Dress Committee.

I purchased 4 pairs of black non wrinkle pants with the "action waist" :) and I'm always comfortable wearing them. I put in a request through the clothing and dress committee to get these type through Logistik Corp. Talking with Logistik corp I found out that they already have those type of pants in stock but the military has yet to request the change.
I have yet to see if my request has made it to the Naval Cothing and Dress Committee.

Is that some sort of PO joke ;) lol In all seriousness, what is an action waist ?

It moves when you move so the pants don't bind or bunch up. I've got a pair of flex fabric slacks that look completely normal but are so much more comfortable that wearing dress pants.

Our former CDS (the former green guy, not the recently former RCN one) got angry at the aircrew at 437 Sqn (Polaris unit) when they didn’t serve him a snack quick enough or recognize that he was the CDS (as the story goes). His punishment was they had to wear they DEU everywhere except over the skies of Iraq while conducting AAR ops. Dudes were flying into Kuwait for a transport mission, wearing their shiney blues. This is why we see DEUs as punshiment, because our senior leaders set the example and use them as such...
I was in Trenton when that was going on, and from the Wing Commander at the time, the reason for DEUs was to try to instill a professional image of the crew, both to the crew and to the passengers. If the crew were easy to distinguish in DEU, while passengers were in operational dress the thought was that there would be more clear lines of authority.

Also, based on what was said at the Wing Commanders briefing, it was done in because of the "party flight", and the notion that the flight crew wasn't sure they had the authority to do anything about the passengers behaviour.

Unless you're referring to a different time, in which case maybe there is truth to the rumor.

Edit: I also believe the decision on the dress for 437 passenger flights came from the Wing Commander, and not the CDS.

This is the context I was missing on your statements, SSM. Makes much more sense to me why you'd feel that way about the DEU. I'd also propose to you the problem isn't with the DEU, it's how it's being utilized and the solution isn't less DEU but more of it when appropriate.
That seems like a very “army” solution, don’t you think? “The pilots don’t like DEU? They prefer their Nomex PJs? Well, we have just the solution. More DEU!”

While we're throwing environmental daggers, why are folks putting wear and tear into national shortage items like flight suits when not actively flying? If the environment is appropriate, folks should be wearing DEU. That statement shouldnt be taboo, and maybe if it was more actively worn we'd have a bigger push to get higher quality items.

And the Army would have people in FFO on parades, not more DEU. Makes us look ready to fight with upside down bayonets and empty mag pouches.

That seems like a very “army” solution, don’t you think? “The pilots don’t like DEU? They prefer their Nomex PJs? Well, we have just the solution. More DEU!”
I think most people's issues with DEU would go away if they wore it more often, and I've been blue my whole career.

DEU needs improvement in the quality control, materials, and cut. That said, it's still more appropriate for sitting at a desk sending emails and filling spreadsheets, than CADPAT, flight suits, or NCDs. I myself dreaded wearing DEU before coming to Ottawa, but quickly realized it was more comfortable than CADPAT when working in an office.

Also, based on what was said at the Wing Commanders briefing, it was done in because of the "party flight", and the notion that the flight crew wasn't sure they had the authority to do anything about the passengers behaviour.

If that was the ‘notion’ then there are issues with the Aircraft Captain’s understanding of their authorities.
If that was the ‘notion’ then there are issues with the Aircraft Captain’s understanding of their authorities.

I think most people's issues with DEU would go away if they wore it more often, and I've been blue my whole career.

DEU needs improvement in the quality control, materials, and cut. That said, it's still more appropriate for sitting at a desk sending emails and filling spreadsheets, than CADPAT, flight suits, or NCDs. I myself dreaded wearing DEU before coming to Ottawa, but quickly realized it was more comfortable than CADPAT when working in an office.
Especially given that the Air Force allows short sleeves throughout the year indoors.

Because...room temperature.

Especially given that the Air Force allows short sleeves throughout the year indoors.

Clearly you've never worked for a fighter pilot at NDHQ insisting on long sleeves, tie and sweater once winter dress kicks in.

My three years in Ottawa I wore a sweater year round.

Because ... room temperature.

🥶

My three years in Ottawa I wore a sweater year round.

Because ... room temperature.

🥶
Maybe it was my Scottish genes...NDQH was always pretty warm for me...especially so inside the wonderfully stuffy Conf Rm B. 😉

As an retired Army CWO and RSM I really do have to shake my head at how something so simple could be made so complicated.

As an retired Army CWO and RSM I really do have to shake my head at how something so simple could be made so complicated.
Agreed. I don’t understand how the CAF can spend time and money in useless dress initiatives, such as making a leather jacket for aircrew or introducing pips and crowns in record time, but yet, can’t seem to figure out how to produce non-operational clothing that is functional and comfortable.

BTW, the leather jackets were for anyone in the RCAF, not just aircrew. 😉

You’re kidding, right? A CWO was responsible for us having to walk around Wainwright with three different hats in our pockets during pre deployment training with 2VP in 96. You guys aren’t immune lol.

Again we couple simplify this with one uniform for work and one for formal and parade occasions.

Not sure why we need a bazillion different versions things.

Back