• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DPICM for 105 mm Howitzer

korgano

Inactive
Reaction score
hello,

I was just wondering if the DPICM rounds were avilable for a 105mm howitzer. I‘ve been hearing stories on both sides of this fence.

thanks.

I believe the LG1 can fire the DPICM but I‘lll get back to you I‘ll ask my TSM this week.

"THANK GOD 4 THE GUNS!!"

There are at least four DPICM type rounds available for the LG1 Mk I or Mk II.

Greece makes the 24G HE/ICE.  This round contains 24 grenades with a fragmentation sleeve and shaped charge.

The US makes three "cluster" type rounds for the 105 (actually two as the M444 is out of production).
M444, contains 18 M39 grenades.  These are stablized to fall nose first, upon contact with the ground a small spherical grenade is ejected upwards to detonate 1.6 to 1.8 meters above the ground.  Minimal anti-armour effect.
M915 and M916 are very similar rounds.  Both contain 42 M80 grenades which are electronically fuzed shaped charge grenades with a self destruct feature.

So yes, there are DPICM type rounds available.  But due to to volume you need at least two rounds to come close to equalling what one 155mm DPICM round can deliver.  And of course SADARM/RAAMS isn't available in 105mm.

Thanks for the comments ammotech90.  Your knowledge is very much welcomed in this forum.

Cheers

AmmoTech90 said:
There are at least four DPICM type rounds available for the LG1 Mk I or Mk II.

Greece makes the 24G HE/ICE.   This round contains 24 grenades with a fragmentation sleeve and shaped charge.

The US makes three "cluster" type rounds for the 105 (actually two as the M444 is out of production).
M444, contains 18 M39 grenades.   These are stablized to fall nose first, upon contact with the ground a small spherical grenade is ejected upwards to detonate 1.6 to 1.8 meters above the ground.   Minimal anti-armour effect.
M915 and M916 are very similar rounds.   Both contain 42 M80 grenades which are electronically fuzed shaped charge grenades with a self destruct feature.

So yes, there are DPICM type rounds available.   But due to to volume you need at least two rounds to come close to equalling what one 155mm DPICM round can deliver.   And of course SADARM/RAAMS isn't available in 105mm.

Heres a link in regards to the U.S. stock of DPICM from MLRS to 5' Naval.
A good read.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/dpicm.htm

Back