• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don't let this happen[must read]

Jungle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Don't Let This Be Your Mom

There was little Johnny, the apple of his mother's eye, deeply involved in his Recruit Training Course at St-Jean. It was not at all what he expected. He wrote to his mother:

â Å“Dear Mum,
I am having a bit of trouble here. There is a lot of shouting and yelling. I made a mistake on the Drill Square today and the Sergeant was really mean to me. I try very hard and I don't think he should yell like that. It scares me when people yell at me!â ?

Johnny's mom was outraged! She wrote to the Prime Minister, the Defence Minister, her local MP, the Chief of the Defence Staff, The Chief of Land Staff and everyone else she could think of. Her little boy had bravely volunteered to serve his country and now was being subjected to unspeakable acts of brutality.

Some time later, Mcpl Smith was again sweating his goonta out trying to turn this horrible bunch of civilians into a well-disciplined section. He gave his commands clearly, succinctly and loudly. Every now and then he was required to highlight the failings of a particular recruit in the approved Army manner. His Platoon WO approached him:
â Å“Mcpl Smith, it's out!â ?
â Å“What is Warrant?â ? Mcpl Smith asked.
â Å“The whole loud voice and criticism thing. It's just come down from the Minister!â ? Mcpl Smith continued his lesson in a quiet voice and despite the constant errors on the part of the recruits, refused to criticise them. He finished the lesson and marched his section off for a lecture on the rights and privileges from the social workers team.

Little Johnny again wrote to his mother:

â Å“Dear Mom,
Nobody is yelling at us any more and that's good, but today we were taught bayonet fighting by the platoon WO. This was terribly frightening! Just the thought of attacking someone with a bayonet makes me feel quite ill!â ?

Johnny's mom was outraged! She wrote to the Prime Minister, the Defence Minister, her local MP, the Chief of the Defence Staff, The Chief of Land Staff and everyone else she could think of. Her little boy had bravely volunteered to serve his country and now was being subjected to unspeakable acts of brutality. What kind of modern country would resort to fighting in this manner? Why on earth do my taxes get spent on smart weapons and still my baby boy has to learn to be a savage?

Some time later, the platoon WO was attempting to instil the requisite amount of fighting spirit in his recruits. The bayonet drill was going as well as could be expected, particularly as all the commands were given in a very quiet voice. The platoon commander hurried over to him.
â Å“Warrant, it's out!â ?
â Å“What's out Sir?â ?
â Å“Bayonet fighting. It just came down from the Minister!â ?
The platoon WO dutifully finished the lesson then and there and sent the recruits off for character guidance and equity training with the Padre.

Two years later, in a country that sponsored terrorism, little Johnny was in a fighting pit. The enemy had managed to surround little Johnny's platoon and they were cut off, outnumbered and outgunned and out of ammunition. Things looked grim. Little Johnny's sect commander saw the next wave of attackers gathering to charge the platoon position. He yelled a warning to Johnny. Johnny wasn't used to be yelled at and became scared and confused. He couldn't understand what the Sgt wanted him to do. The Sgt jumped out of his pit and dashed across the open ground to Johnny's position. As he ran, a bullet struck him in the chest. He landed in a crumpled heap at the bottom of Johnny's pit, mortally wounded.
â Å“I said fix bayonets John. These mongrels are gonna over run us!â ?
Johnny grabbed his bayonet. He tried every which way to fix it to his rifle but he just couldn't remember how. His Sgt managed to fix the bayonet for him, despite loss of blood and sliding into shock.
â Å“There ya go John. Give 'em heck when they come for us!â ?
Johnny did his best. The enemy charged into his pit but the screaming and yelling scared and confused him. He waved the rifle and bayonet around but wasn't sure exactly what he was doing. Little Johnny and his platoon didn't make it.

Some time later a Board of Inquiry determined that poor training had led directly to poor performance on the battlefield.

Johnny's mom was outraged!   She wrote to the Prime Minister, the Defence Minister, her local MP, the Chief of the Defence Staff, The Chief of Land Staff and everyone else she could think of. Her little boy had bravely volunteered to serve his country and now was being subjected to unspeakable acts of brutality. One would expect that if he was to be placed in harm's way, the least the Army could do was train him properly...

...Don't Let This Be Your Mom...

...like the old saying "Look, everybodys out of step except my son Johnny"

Hah, if I ever wrote a letter like that to my mom, she'd end up yelling at me, not the PMO.  My sister would call home crying everyday for the first month of BOTC, and all my mom could say was "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going."  And the usual, "I've done basic training, you're dad's done basic training, don't cry, it'll get better."  It did...She cried when she left, and she cried when she got home:p

There was little Johnny, the apple of his mother's eye, deeply involved in his Recruit Training Course at St-Jean. It was not at all what he expected.

Great story Jungle!

The sad part is that the majority of people (apart from the older members) won't have a clue what its about! Or see the relevance!

When I went through Cornwallis we started with a platoon of 163. There were many people who were cut. By the end we were down to about 40. The graduates, who had successfully completed the  course, really felt like they'd earned something.

That was in '89. I bet it wouldn't happenn today...

Slim

Lots of people on my sister's BOTC course were cut.  She was the only one in her unit to finish.  And I remember her saying that they sent a lot of people home.

It is incredibly hard now to kick a bag 'o hammers off a course  - especially a BRT.. or BMQ... whatever it's called nowadays. Without a mile high pile of paperwork that is written, read, then proofread and edited a dozen times, it's virtually impossible... and the guy (or girl) gets through the course and is left with their units to deal with them. So much for the weeding out process...

My father was an instructor in Cornwallis in the late 70's (77-79) and he loooooooooooves to rant about how the way people are trained has changed. He said that, fundamentally, the "things" a person is taught have grown, the manner it is done has changed.

All because of Johnny's Mom.

Just thoughts

Jungle, I take your story as a comment on how things are done today. I agree.

CF104Starfighter said:
Lots of people on my sister's BOTC course were cut.   She was the only one in her unit to finish.   And I remember her saying that they sent a lot of people home.

How many people were removed from your course?

Slim said:
How many people were removed from your course?
*Sister's BOTC course. 

That's why I don't know the exact number.  I know that of three people in her unit that went, she was the only one to finish.

Sister's BOTC course

I see. So you were never in Basic training, or the modern equivilant?

Times have changed when I joined the RCEME Corps in 1965 we were sent to one of the
infantry regts for basic. In my case it was 2 PPCLI we started with 30 and ended up with 28.
I believe the low attrition rate was due to the regtimental structuring of the training.

We were taught very early you left no one behind if some of the lads had problems you
helped them as a platoon be it spitshone boots or section in attack. It was training that helped
me for over 30 years.

Good story Jungle.

Ah for the old days and the old ways. Sometimes I regret packing it in when I did. Then I stop and think would I really want to go and play on the two way range now with a platoon full of "little Johnnies?"

Good Story Jungle

If I had been little Johnnys mother I'd have told him to either tough it out or get out.
Recently My son and I were sitting down and Chatting about our experiences as Cadets. He has now aged out, I told him what I went through when training for Cadets, Reserves and Reg Forces. I ended up shaking my head in bewilderment Cadet training is now more like what my brother did as a Boy Scout. Every yr that my son spent in Cadets at the start of a new training yr, each Cadet had to participate in C.H.A.P.S (cadet harrassment abuse prevention s???)
In the Reserves while taking my training if any body messed up X# of times in one day. they'd be the plug of the day and have to wear a bathroom sink plug around thier neck. Yes I humblely admit one morning I had been plug of the day until someone else royaly screwed up. Now days that prob wouldnt be allowed.

I don't know how many members of this site were in the Military either Regs or Reserves prior to the Changes.

Slim said:
Sister's BOTC course

I see. So you were never in Basic training, or the modern equivilant?
Mmm, no, and I hope that doesn't have to do with anything.

I find I get more and more phone calls from young soldiers parents, (and sometimes they even show up at the armoury angry about something young Johnny has told them) than I have ever had.  It's very frustrating to deal with these people.  :mad: They don't seem to realize that their son or daughter is the one who needs to do the talking, and not them.  As a parent I understand how protective you can feel.....but come on!  These are not 5 year olds having a bad play date (though some of them act like it!!!! ::)) but members of the military.  My parents would never have made calls like that (they would've told me to deal with it) and I would never have asked them to do so.  I would've been mortified to have my parents jump into my life that way! :-[

CF104Starfighter said:
Mmm, no, and I hope that doesn't have to do with anything.

What it has to do with it is that your information is second hand and unverifiable. "lots of people" doesn't mean anything beyond you wishing to argue with someone on a topic you have no firsthand information or personal perspective about.

How can you compare recruit retention rates and quality control today if you have never experienced either the current or the former system at work?

What do you really know about the recruit training system right now verses 10 years ago? Do you have anything relevant to contribute to this discussion?

Please consider your topics carefully before you jump in.

Slim

By the way Jungle...I'd like to E-mail your story to every PC pacifist left-wing newspaper and political body I can think of!...Of course it wouldn't actually DO any good, but I'd feel better! :skull:

commando_wolf63 said:
Every yr that my son spent in Cadets at the start of a new training yr, each Cadet had to participate in C.H.A.P.S (cadet harrassment abuse prevention s???)

And that's a bad thing ?

Not for cadets it isn't.

For regular soldiers, its castrating them! The current climate does not allow soldiers to soldier...This kinder, gentler army is detrimental to a fighting force. SHARP contributes negatively to that. This whole notion that we are a nation of peacekeepers is a load of hogwash. If a soldier can't fight then he/she certainly can't peacekeep.

The other side of the coin, of course, is that the govt. has to grow a pair of balls and stop this political correctness crap that is slowly strangling the CF.

Back