• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don't know what to do

H

HelloMilitary

I didn't even start BMQ yet and I want to VR. I don't like my trade or my unit, I don't know who I should ask to start the VR process?

I am guessing you did not really give it a chance by the sounds of things. If you have not even started BMQ, you have no real knowledge of your trade yet. As for the Unit, takes some time to fit in and find your place and as a Recruit it is even harder to fit because you know nothing and know hardly anyone in most cases.

But if you insist on VR, write a memo requesting your release, and give it to your Section Commander and he or she will forward it up the chain for action. Takes time to get in and takes time to get out.

I know that I will be working mostly in the command post, I need something that's more active and in the field. My unit is fairly disorganized as well. Its maybe just me but I thought it would have been more organized.

I know that I will be working mostly in the command post, I need something that's more active and in the field. My unit is fairly disorganized as well. Its maybe just me but I thought it would have been more organized.
What trade are you going to? Some trades do both.

Simpliest way. Don't wait for a parade night and seeing a Sect Comd, then a Pl WO and then a Pl Comd, CSM, etc, etc. If you are available during the day to go into the unit's orderly room, do so. Explain to the full time staff that you want to release. If they tell you that a memo and going through chain of comd is required, explain to them that you won't be available to come in on parade nights and that you want to initiate the process then and there. Memos, actually there are forms that you have to fill out, ask them for a copy and if they don't provide directions in how to complete it, ask them to explain the process. Ask them if you will be considered excused duty and training (ED&T) while the release process is ongoing or do you have to request that separately (being designated Non Effective Strength (NES) because you didn't show up can result in a less that ideal release item). If you haven't yet been issued uniforms and kit, good, don't sign for anything. If you have, gather it all together; make sure you have everything you've been issued and make arrangements for a time to return it, until then safekeep it.

Even if you follow the above it will take time for the process. You will most assuredly be interviewed as to your reasons and most likely counseled to give it a bit more of a try. The green machine is like an insecure girl/boy* friend, they don't like been dumped (unless they do the dumping) or being told that they aren't pretty. (* I added the "boy" to be gender inclusive)

Sorry the CF did meet your expectations, but I not sure what judgement you can make of an organization that you have no knowledge of or experience with.

Simpliest way. Don't wait for a parade night and seeing a Sect Comd, then a Pl WO and then a Pl Comd, CSM, etc, etc. If you are available during the day to go into the unit's orderly room, do so. Explain to the full time staff that you want to release. If they tell you that a memo and going through chain of comd is required, explain to them that you won't be available to come in on parade nights and that you want to initiate the process then and there. Memos, actually there are forms that you have to fill out, ask them for a copy and if they don't provide directions in how to complete it, ask them to explain the process. Ask them if you will be considered excused duty and training (ED&T) while the release process is ongoing or do you have to request that separately (being designated Non Effective Strength (NES) because you didn't show up can result in a less that ideal release item). If you haven't yet been issued uniforms and kit, good, don't sign for anything. If you have, gather it all together; make sure you have everything you've been issued and make arrangements for a time to return it, until then safekeep it.

Even if you follow the above it will take time for the process. You will most assuredly be interviewed as to your reasons and most likely counseled to give it a bit more of a try. The green machine is like an insecure girl/boy* friend, they don't like been dumped (unless they do the dumping) or being told that they aren't pretty. (* I added the "boy" to be gender inclusive)

Sorry the CF did meet your expectations, but I not sure what judgement you can make of an organization that you have no knowledge of or experience with.
It's more so the bigots that are in my unit that don't care to read regs

It's more so the bigots that are in my unit that don't care to read regs
Sounds like you are adamant that you and your new unit don't fit. My advice.....release now, and spare yourself the pain of internal turmoil.

Humour us. What regs do the « bigots » in your unit don’t follow?

Paragraph?
They were just surprised that they have to accommodate. I decided to stick with the unit and see how it goes. It's not their fault that they didn't know. I hope after BMQ and Trade Qual it gets better in terms of a clear role I play in the unit until then I will try my best to adjust

What kind of accommodations were they surprised they had to respect?

They were just surprised that they have to accommodate. I decided to stick with the unit and see how it goes. It's not their fault that they didn't know. I hope after BMQ and Trade Qual it gets better in terms of a clear role I play in the unit until then I will try my best to adjust
Wait, so you want a more active role in the field, your unit is disorganized, and there are bigots.

Why are you sticking with that unit rather than asking to change units (if there are others in your area)?

Ok, so if you haven’t completed BMQ or your trade course, then dealing with untrained troops in a reseve unit is always challenging as there are rules they have to follow about what you can and can’t do. If they are putting you in a CP it’s likely to give you exposure to the types of things you will need to know. CPs being one of the more important ones.

As for the Turban issue it may be that they might not know. That’s fair, I would expect they get informed and apply the appropriate rules and accomodations.

I once corrected a troop that had to wear special under garments. He had a white t shirt under his green one. I found out that it was a religious thing. We actually did some research and found out we could purchase special green ones from the US and got them for him so win win. But I would never have guessed that was a thing.

Give it time.

Thanks. Were they trying to prevent you from wearing it in lieu of wearing a beret or is it something to do with helmets/gas masks?
Yea it's wearing a beret, just a much older Sgt Major in the unit which I have a lot of respect for because of his experience and his deployments. I don't blame him at all because the policy for permitting to wear a turban came later on in his career and maybe not be accustomed to changes or may have a different view of it. It seems that I'm the only Sikh in the unit that wears a turban and doesn't know how to handle it. Hopefully, over time it gets better.

Back