• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don Cherry to receive honorary doctorate from RMC

FlyingDutchman said:
I was going to say you could just @ him on twitter, but I'll be damned if I could find an actual twitter account of his and not an imposter.
This may be the real one ....
http://twitter.com/#!/Real_DonCherry
.... based on the previous statement fracas last month, but since it's not verified, caveat poster.

Another option on the CBC.ca address - try don_cherry@cbc.ca . Many CBC addresses have names divided by underscores, so it MAY work.

Finally, if you believe the interwebs, there's a donniegrapes@rogers.ca e-mail address floating out there without verification.

Good luck, folks.

Don Cherry turns down honorary degree from military college after prof objects
By: The Canadian Press 11/5/2011
Article Link

OTTAWA - Hockey commentator Don Cherry has turned down an honorary degree from the Royal Military College of Canada after at least one faculty member objected.

Cherry's decision was made public by the college on Saturday, less than two weeks before the colourful CBC host was to receive the award.

A spokeswoman for the college said Cherry didn't elaborate on the motive for his refusal, simply citing "personal reasons."

"We are disappointed that he feels he can't attend ... but we also understand his position," the college's principal, Joel Sokolsky, said Saturday.

Recent media reports suggested at least one of the college's professors opposed the school's plan to openly support Cherry.

The professor sent an open letter to a Kingston, Ont., newspaper.

It blasted the former hockey player and coach for his controversial views on French-speaking Canadians, immigrants and the gay community.

The letter said giving Cherry the award sends the wrong message to students.

The letter is "the expression of an opinion," Sokolsky said, adding the school regrets losing a chance to recognize Cherry's outspoken support for Canadian Forces personnel.

"From my standpoint, he was being honoured for his work on behalf of the Forces, his charity work, his standing in promoting athletics in Canada."

Cherry would have received the degree during the college's fall convocation on Nov. 17.
end

Perhaps there should be some new doctorates.

Free speech, telling it like you see it, morale, team building and general coolness.

If we can get those in there, then Don is gtg.

Occam said:
I wish the press would stop referring to Catherine Lord as "Professor".  She is a language teacher, period.

So, in other words, she's nothing but a cunning linguist?
(with a penchant for writing to newspapers?)
STOP THE PRESS!
What are the odds of two people with the last surname working in the same department at RMC?
(i.e. what are the odds of them NOT being related? ... yup - no possible perception of conflict of interest here ... after all, what Language Centre Director would hire a relative ...???)

LCol(Ret'd) JEJ Lord Language Center Director lord-j@rmc.ca

Mrs. C Lord Teacher, Second Language Catherine.Lord@rmc.ca

P.S. (BZ to Don Cherry for showing infintely more class than Mrs. C Lord.  I look forward to Mrs Lord's resignation or dismissal, whichever comes first ... the latter being my personal preference ...)

..and he was classy on Coachs Corner tonight about it.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
..and he was classy on Coachs Corner tonight about it.

Thanks for reminding me, Bruce - right now I'm "seeing red" ...

I met Don Cherry at Maple Leaf Gardens on the evening when the Leafs paid tribute to the CF after the First Gulf War.  We blustered our way past security into the HNIC studio where Don and Ron McLean were getting ready for that evening's telecast ... and Don's first words when he saw our C7's were "Whoa!  For a minute I was worried it was Harry Sinden!"  Don and Ron were magnificent and magnanious hosts to us, we had a wonderful visit and treasure the photo.

Then, when the CBC National News ran late and the ceremony at Maple Leaf Gardens wasn't broadcast ... Don went over to the players' benches, grabbed some sticks and got them autographed, then brought it around to where the CF members were sitting and presented the sticks to them.  Don thought the troops had been "slighted", and did something about it!

A little while later, I was asked by Public Affairs if I could find a "personality" to be the Honorary Chair of a "Unity Hockey Tournament" - I phoned Don and left a message asking him if he'd be interested - Rose Cherry phoned back almost immediately and said "Yes, of course!"

We all know Don has supported the troops with his heartfelt tributes on HNIC whenever we've lost one of our own overseas ... and some of us are aware of his charity work.

Why, then, did Mrs. Catherine Lord decide her opinion mattered more than the committee who decided to grant Don an honorary doctorate from RMC?

Personally, I feel very strongly that Mrs. C. Lord has acted improperly - she is only a language teacher, and I don't remember seeing her in Afghanistan when Don Cherry was visiting the Van Doos ... and I am unfamiliar with Mrs. D. Lord's televised tributes on national television when we have suffered casualties overseas ...

So a non-alumnus, non-tenured, non-professor doesn't like it and the Senate caves?

ModlrMike said:
So a non-alumnus, non-tenured, non-professor doesn't like it and the Senate caves?

The only link that Catherine Lord has with RMC is that she is the daughter of the Director of the Language Centre that she teaches in. (Ref:)

ModlrMike said:
It sounds like he declined with thanks.

MJP said:
I guess considering that the RMC faculty list is open source here on the internet, Catherine Lord might be finding herself deluged with emails. 

Edited for horrible spelling error.  Deluged with emails not deluded .  :facepalm:

Thanks / polite email sent.

Take a look at the comments on the Globe and Mail website; sort them by highest score. Here's an example from someone named rdurandy (posted at 7:13 PM on November 5, 2011): "Cherry bringing all the military BS into hockey in Canada is offensive to me."

Although others might have been reluctant to say it, or couldn't be bothered because their hatred for Cherry's overblown rhetoric is greater than their distaste for the military, or, perhaps, even support the troops while they detest Cherry, I suspect that rdurandy is an exemplar of our fellow Canadians: their support for the troops may be a mile wide (lots of red T-shirts) but it's only an inch deep.

I think what is lost in a lot of this is the fact that a lot of the nominees that receive honorary degrees given out at RMC are nominated by THE STUDENTS.  That was the case when I was there, and I would imagine this was probably originally proposed by the student body.

E.R. Campbell said:
Take a look at the comments on the Globe and Mail website; sort them by highest score. Here's an example from someone named rdurandy (posted at 7:13 PM on November 5, 2011): "Cherry bringing all the military BS into hockey in Canada is offensive to me."

Although others might have been reluctant to say it, or couldn't be bothered because their hatred for Cherry's overblown rhetoric is greater than their distaste for the military, or, perhaps, even support the troops while they detest Cherry, I suspect that rdurandy is an exemplar of our fellow Canadians: their support for the troops may be a mile wide (lots of red T-shirts) but it's only an inch deep.

If you wanna read Globe and Mail comments, select "highest score" and then go to the bottom of the first page and click "LAST".  That's usually where you find the sane stuff.

Stymiest said:
I think what is lost in a lot of this is the fact that a lot of the nominees that receive honorary degrees given out at RMC are nominated by THE STUDENTS.  That was the case when I was there, and I would imagine this was probably originally proposed by the student body.

It wasn't. The students get to vote for the honourary graduates but not for the degrees.

Message from the RMC Club on the matter.

06 November 2011

Dear General Council Members of the Royal Military Colleges Club of Canada (RMCCC). There has been numerous communications on the subject of the offer of an Honorary Degree to Mr. Don Cherry in the last few days, both in the media and within the Club via emails. An Official release from the College announced yesterday 05 November 2011 that Mr. Cherry has declined the honour.

I appreciate and support everyone’s freedom to express their opinions and views as it is a core value / characteristic which is at the heart of our democratic way of life. However, freedom of expression should apply to all involved in a debate and not deprive anyone from listening to all sides or arguments.

The process of granting Honorary Degrees by the Royal Military Colleges is a very comprehensive process. The nominations can be initiated by different organizations or individuals, including the Royal Military Colleges Club of Canada through any member of the Senate.

As with most of Canadian universities, the Senate which in the case of RMC is composed of the Chancellor (Minister of National Defence), the Vice Chancellor (The RMCC Commandant), Principal, Deans, DCadet, Registrar and the Directeur des Etudes du RMC SJ, makes the final decision.

As can be seen, the RMCCC has no responsibility or authority in this process, and fully trust and support, that the institution, for where these matters fall directly within their authority and responsibility will make the best decision.

In the case which is of interest here, we must consider that this individual generates different emotions in everyone. From a process point of view, it is not the position of the Club to make a stand on a subject where we do not have the authority or responsibility for the decision. It is the Club’s position however, to promote the freedom of expression and facilitate discussions.

The Club has and does advocate in support of the Military Colleges. However the engagement of advocacy must be in a positive, proactive and responsible manner.

I have been in contact with many Club members, the Colleges Authorities, the Foundation authorities, and members of the General Council and can assure you that opinions do differ, but the “Esprit de Camaraderie” is strong and the respect of each other and for their individual opinions remains a great quality among the Club members.

I would ask Branch Presidents to disseminate this information to our membership at large, so that this message can be included with the discussion that is underway, which will hopefully conclude soon.

I trust that we will continue to share points of view, and I also trust that our debate will be based on more in depth arguments than that which can be found in the media.

Marc Drolet
President Royal Military Colleges Club of Canada
LCol (Ret’d)
http://everitas.rmcclub.ca/

yoman said:
Message from the RMC Club on the matter.
http://everitas.rmcclub.ca/
.... As with most of Canadian universities, the Senate which in the case of RMC is composed of the Chancellor (Minister of National Defence), the Vice Chancellor (The RMCC Commandant), Principal, Deans, DCadet, Registrar and the Directeur des Etudes du RMC SJ, makes the final decision ....
I thought most university senates had teaching staff as members.  If there are no such teaching staff on the RMC Senate, I can understand why it's certain staff opposing the move (ideological... "uniqueness" notwithstanding).

The Deans of the academic divisions sit on the Senate.

Good2Golf said:
The Deans of the academic divisions sit on the Senate.
I should have been more specific.  Most senates I've heard of have more than just deans sitting representing the teaching staff, specifically, profs elected or selected by other profs to sit in senate.

Back