• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dogs

Xylric

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm very curious, since it seems the majority of military families I know of have at least one dog in the house. Given that I have little reason to presume that to be different for the people here, what breeds to people enjoy the companionship of?

I do not currently have a dog (or a cat, for that matter) due to space issues, but the moment I move to another apartment, I'll be adopting an elk-hound/Shepard mix, very much like the dog my father grew up with.

Xylric said:
Given that I have little reason to presume that to be different for the people here, what breeds to people enjoy the companionship of?

Might find some here,

Pets
https://army.ca/forums/threads/28045.50
3 pages.

Dog Help 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/68713.0
3 pages.

etc...

Are you a pet owner?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/69320.75.html
4 pages.

Xylric said:
I'm very curious, since it seems the majority of military families I know of have at least one dog in the house. Given that I have little reason to presume that to be different for the people here, what breeds to people enjoy the companionship of?

I do not currently have a dog (or a cat, for that matter) due to space issues, but the moment I move to another apartment, I'll be adopting an elk-hound/Shepard mix, very much like the dog my father grew up with.

As a long time owner of Shepherds, you need to do your research.  This is not a training wheels kind of bred.

Xylric said:

Seems like you already have a dog in mind, but I and my s/o have a Keeshond and in general they are calm, good with people (and other animals) and don't require much exercise or space.  They also look like smaller Norwegian Elkhounds too.

That being said, if you're joining the military it's not really a good idea to get a pet unless you have a good network of people willing and ready to take care of it while you're away.

PPCLI Guy said:
As a long time owner of Shepherds, you need to do your research.  This is not a training wheels kind of bred.

I've worked with many of the more "Northern" breeds, which are probably even less of a training wheel breed, so I completely agree with the sentiment.

Dimsum said:
Seems like you already have a dog in mind, but I and my s/o have a Keeshond and in general they are calm, good with people (and other animals) and don't require much exercise or space.  They also look like smaller Norwegian Elkhounds too.

That being said, if you're joining the military it's not really a good idea to get a pet unless you have a good network of people willing and ready to take care of it while you're away.

Absolutely true. Thankfully, my aunt has a good amount of acreage, and has an incredible love of animals (raising kids on an active dairy farm kind of ensures that), so any dog I may get will be well cared for - the hard part would be getting said canine *back.*

If you are in a unit then consider you might be gone for awhile and would need to find a kennel or a dog sitter.

Back