• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dog Owners

stryte said:
I have two female Siberian Huskies. Older one is 17 weeks now and is named Akeela, younger one is 11 weeks and named Ember. It's great having two since they play non-stop.

I Love Siberian Huskies!! Growing up we had one, and he was so beautiful and such a great family pet. I hope to have another one day, when I have the space for them.

I'm planning to get a pug once I am posted.  ;D They're so ugly, they're cute!

Pte Pea said:
I Love Siberian Huskies!! Growing up we had one, and he was so beautiful and such a great family pet. I hope to have another one day, when I have the space for them.

We had our Samoyed for 13 years, still miss him, wife still not ready to replace him, always had a Cat and Dog around the house. A Husky might be just the thing, how are they with Cats.

Cheers.

Wow I am amazed!!!!  :D

You all have dogs!!!
I thought it was very hard for people in the forces to have pets.
For a long time I have been thinking about adopting a big dog at the spca...
but since I am concidering joining the reserves and my boyfriend the Reg Force I thought I would never be able to commit to a dog.

Please let me know how you manage your life/career so you can have dogs.
Do you all have a significant other that can take care of the dog when you are deployed or training for longer periods?

Please let me know maybe I can adopt one after all  :D
thank you

We have a one year old female Whippet, Jessie. She runs like the wind, we will be getting a whippet puppy (male newborn, no name yet) who gets to come home in another month.

Cheers,

Rob G

Siberians are great with cats, they think they're delicious, and great fun to chase.  Just bought a 7 week old Siberian female, after a year it was time to move on.  She'll never replace my buddy, but will fill an empty space.

the_girlfirend said:
Please let me know how you manage your life/career so you can have dogs.
Do you all have a significant other that can take care of the dog when you are deployed or training for longer periods?

I am looking after my fiance's dog while he is away on a conference this week. He is a reg force Log officer. Last year when he went on tour, a friend of his (and former military member) took the dog for six months (minus HLTA time). I think it helps to have more than one back-up...I know he does. There is, of course, the kennel option, but no one really likes doing that to their dog. It's an option if you need it, though. One thing that I've noticed that is great about the military (from a civvy perspective) is the whole extended family aspect. My fiance never seems to run short of people who are either in the military or retired from it (or married to a member) that are willing to help out in various situations. I think it's a great community to be a part of and it's one of the main reasons I am attempting to join the reg force myself. :)

We have 3 dogs
Male chocolate lab named chimo just over a year old, walking hormone.
Female chocolate lab named bailey just over a year old.
Newest member Bassett Hound Puppy Named Sgt Abram Tank

To the_girlfriend

Everywhere we've lived, in the past 10 yrs, has been in the Q's and being 'the wife' I was always home. I have looked after many friends dogs over the years.  Our neighbor (for 4-5 yrs) in Oromocto, a single, arty guy was gone on a very regular basis.  We and all the other neighbors shared looking after his dog whenever he was away, sometimes weeks at a time. It was too the point when if we hadn't seen the dog that day we'd go let him out, cuz ya know those Army guys can sometimes get drunk, sleep in and forget to let the dog out ;D  When he was gone on tour he sent his dog to live with his dad. 
I myself have a large dog and have NEVER had a problem finding someone to look after him, sometimes it was hard to get them to return him to us, cuz he's a great dog. But as long as he's friendly, nice and you have neighbors close by and like Celtic girl said have a few back up plans all will be well in owning a dog.  I have only said no to looking after one particular dog as he was a pain in the a$$, not very well behaved and the few times I did look after him he would destroy something in their house, like eat the whole couch, get into the garbage, dig a hole that your could stand in, eat a tub of Vaseline and then shit all over the place.  He was a 100lb husky/lab it was not fun :p

Thank you celticgirl, thank you engineers wife!!!

For now it is hard to imagine my life away from my friends and family, but reading you helps a lot,
Everyone seems to be so nice and ready to help... I can't wait to join the military family now...  :D

thank you so much

(yes that is true I could always send the dog to my mom... if no other choice... good idea!!! don't tell her though  ;) )

FastEddy said:

We had our Samoyed for 13 years, still miss him, wife still not ready to replace him, always had a Cat and Dog around the house. A Husky might be just the thing, how are they with Cats.

Cheers.

We got our Siberian as a puppy and introduced her into a house with 3 cats who, shall we say, had been around the block once or twice and had higher status.  So she learned not to go after the cats in our house, BUT she would go after other cats if she could get out of the yard.  They are hardwired to hunt cats as prey, so I guess it depends on how brave or timid your cats are.  Also if you had the Siberian first and introduced a kitten/cat, I don't think that would be such a hot idea.

Here's a picture of our girl:

the_girlfirend said:
Wow I am amazed!!!!  :D

You all have dogs!!!

Its much to your credit that you have considered the responsibilities of Pet ownership, especially the problems of Deployment.

There's a multitude of circumstances that would permit one to own and care for a pet.

Even to the extrem of reassigning ownership, as long as the animal finds a good home and is not abandoned or dropped off at a Shelter, as too many of those poor animals end up being put down.

But I have a feeling, you folks can and will figure out what's best for all concerned.

Cheers.

To  the girl friend,

My hubby is in the forces, so I stay here and look after all the critters. I have a funny feeling with this upcoming tour- I will be looking after a few more.
I  hate to see what happens if we ever get posted. We will need to rent a huge cattle hauler to transport our critters... ;D

FastEddy said:

Cheers.

We have two cats, in order for them to feel safe we put up baby gates which they often run through when the huskies decide to chase them (to play) one of the two cats we have thinks its great and is around them constantly, the other cat for awhile just hung out in the basement but its now coming out. We monitor the dog/cat playing closely and if the dog traps, pins, etc the cats we correct them and it's been helpful.

I have one small dog, a shitzu-pom cross. She's very much a psycho mutt. And my army son has a Golden that has a visitors visa for my back yard while he's away.

stryte said:
We have two cats, in order for them to feel safe we put up baby gates which they often run through when the huskies decide to chase them (to play) one of the two cats we have thinks its great and is around them constantly, the other cat for awhile just hung out in the basement but its now coming out. We monitor the dog/cat playing closely and if the dog traps, pins, etc the cats we correct them and it's been helpful.

Thanks to all the Husky owners, I never knew that about them and Cats, Dobermans yes, I think I'll put a hold on the Husky.

Our Samoyed was a big pussy to our Cats. i.e: He'd be eating and Ginger would saunter by, decide to investigate, he'd stop eating look pathetically at us and sit there while Ginger sniffed his food  (if was to her liking she'd start eating) of course we'd pick her up and take her to another room. They never rough housed it during their lives. Our next Cat (adopted from the Local Vet) very soon discovered that this great white mass of fur was certainally no threat, it was hard to tell who was following who around.

Cheers.

My dog(mini America Eskimo[really, my wifes]), Joe thinks hes a cat, and our cat thinks hes a dog. Its strange when your dog is smaller than your cat.
I need a real Dog.
Sigh

We have 4 - a four pound chihuahua named "Tank", a 30 lb cocker-terrier mix named "Kisses" (number than a hammered thumb), a 60-ish pound Australian Shepherd named "Cholla", and a 70+ pound German Shorthaired Pointer named "Trooper"

Trooper is a happy guy
465200aa.jpg

Back