• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does element matter in a purple trade?

TorontoRaps

Inactive
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I’m interested in applying for the HRA trade but I am unsure of which element to choose (land, air or sea). Since HRA is a “purple trade” does element matter? And does the element dictate your postings?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

If I choose air, would I most likely be posted to an Air Force base or will I be posted to wherever HRA’s are needed.

If I choose air, would I most likely be posted to an Air Force base or will I be posted to wherever HRA’s are needed.
In purple trades, your uniform doesn't dictate where you'll be posted.

Sometimes Career Managers will balance postings by uniform. They're not supposed to, but sometimes it happens.

Good morning everyone,

I’m interested in applying for the HRA trade but I am unsure of which element to choose (land, air or sea). Since HRA is a “purple trade” does element matter? And does the element dictate your postings?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

It's really not a straight forward answer.

Do you live near a base ?
- Yes, Chances are you will be posted there, no cost.

Are you half of a service couple ?
- Yes, You will be posted geographically with your spouse. It's as close as one can get to 100% on an initial posting. After that and as you progress its a crap shoot.

Those two points are step one.

After that it will be decision by your CM on where you are most needed.

As you progress through the ranks your uniform 100% matters and you're assignment history. This all has to do with succession management.

It's really not a straight forward answer.

Do you live near a base ?
- Yes, Chances are you will be posted there, no cost.

Are you half of a service couple ?
- Yes, You will be posted geographically with your spouse. It's as close as one can get to 100% on an initial posting. After that and as you progress its a crap shoot.

Those two points are step one.

After that it will be decision by your CM on where you are most needed.

As you progress through the ranks your uniform 100% matters and you're assignment history. This all has to do with succession management.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I live in Toronto and I would love to get posted at one of the army reserve armouries in the GTA or even CFRC Toronto as an HRA. Since the armouries in the GTA are Army, do you think I will have a higher chance of getting posted in the GTA, if I chose the Army uniform instead of Air Force or Navy?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I live in Toronto and I would love to get posted at one of the army reserve armouries in the GTA or even CFRC Toronto as an HRA. Since the armouries in the GTA are Army, do you think I will have a higher chance of getting posted in the GTA, if I chose the Army uniform instead of Air Force or Navy?

Thanks in advance.

Upon entering it doesn't matter for your uniform. It plays a big role at WO and up.

There are definitely places you could get posted in Toronto though I think you'd have a better chance at getting Borden, Trenton or Kingston.

Again express your wishes on your initial trades training and see what happens. Don't be scared to venture away from home. That's part of the fun.

Thanks in advance.
Don't take this as a shot to you. But what is it with folks from the GTA that they seem to fight tooth and nail against being exposed to life outside of their bubble? That's the beauty of the CAF, you get tossed out of your comfort zone really quick and get to be exposed to people and lifestyles that you would never get to experience otherwise. I'm a farm-boy from the prairies and joining the Navy was the best thing for me. I've lived in places and met people I never ever would have if I'd stay in my bubble. If its family (re mom and dad and extended relatives) keeping you in the GTA tell them that if you get posted to Greenwood NS, they can have a fantastic visit in the Annapolis Valley and they'll love you for it.
Embrace change, that's the only way forward in the world.
Good luck for what ever you choose!

Don't take this as a shot to you. But what is it with folks from the GTA that they seem to fight tooth and nail against being exposed to life outside of their bubble? That's the beauty of the CAF, you get tossed out of your comfort zone really quick and get to be exposed to people and lifestyles that you would never get to experience otherwise. I'm a farm-boy from the prairies and joining the Navy was the best thing for me. I've lived in places and met people I never ever would have if I'd stay in my bubble. If its family (re mom and dad and extended relatives) keeping you in the GTA tell them that if you get posted to Greenwood NS, they can have a fantastic visit in the Annapolis Valley and they'll love you for it.
Embrace change, that's the only way forward in the world.
Good luck for what ever you choose!
I do have a cousin posted to Goose Bay, so...... your milage may vary. That said, if you like outdoors and winter activities, it's supposed to be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

The full-time junior clerks HRAs at reserve units will be predominantly reservists and even then they will probably have some experience in trade before getting a Class B at their unit. The more senior positions (e.g., Chief Clerk) are more likely to be designated for Reg F but even then it is possible that it may be filled by a reservist. There isn't a lot of depth at reserve units and small units, reg or reserve, (small in terms of full-time personnel) so the ideal is to post newly trained personnel to units that can provide them with a wider range of experience necessary for occupational development.

Don't take this as a shot to you. But what is it with folks from the GTA that they seem to fight tooth and nail against being exposed to life outside of their bubble?

There was a 2Lt from Toronto on my Log O training, RMC type, that put her posting preferences down as Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver as an Army Log O. She told me after she found out her first posting was to Wainwright, she looked it up on Google Maps and immediately started crying. :ROFLMAO:

There was a 2Lt from Toronto on my Log O training, RMC type, that put her posting preferences down as Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver as an Army Log O. She told me after she found out her first posting was to Wainwright, she looked it up on Google Maps and immediately started crying. :ROFLMAO:
She may have consulted this map.

[URL u
0ZeGArdyOolpptgS9C9hkGxobTwzdVB54E9C8KRxJf0.jpg

Thread drift alert.

I joined the Navy mostly so I could travel. In my short career, I crossed the Atlantic, the Pacific and the Med covering about 40,000 sea miles. I travelled up and down the east and west coasts of Canada and the US. Port visits included California, Hawaii, Samoa, Fiji, Australia, New Zealand, Bermuda, US Virgin Islands, Aruba, Puerto Rico, Newfoundland, Boston, Gibraltar, Sicily, transiting the Suez Canal, Djibouti, UAE and Dubai (and probably a bunch more places that don't just spring to mind). I lived in Halifax, Ottawa, Kingston, Victoria and England.

I found all that travel to be enriching.

Back