• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

does anyone beside me shoot bow?

i have a bow but never get a chance to use it, plus my arrows are kinda blunted so i cant really use it

Martin Hunter #55
Bear Minuteman takedown #45

Haven't shot in a few years though due to shoulder problems.

patty,
are the arrows you have broken,or do you have blunt tips?There is a style of points that are blunt on purpose.These are used on small game.If you were really interested,field points(target)points are only 3 or 4 bucks a point.
There is a shop down the road that is by the train tracks as you head to Barrie that can set you up.The name is the Wolf's Den.

gun plumber said:
patty,
are the arrows you have broken,or do you have blunt tips?There is a style of points that are blunt on purpose.These are used on small game.If you were really interested,field points(target)points are only 3 or 4 bucks a point.
There is a shop down the road that is by the train tracks as you head to Barrie that can set you up.The name is the Wolf's Den.
hold on let me look, they look like they hit alot of hard targets the tip seems to be blunting down more ill try to get a pic of it up. Yea iver herd of the wolfs den i might go and check it out this summer i wanna get into shooting my bow for once

Ya post those pics.It could be a simple misunderstanding of the equipment.Some of my field points are dammaged as well,and still fly true for the most part.
Before you go shooting for the first time in a while you should go to the Wolf's Den and get them to inspect your bow for dammage and get a tune up.If your firing a dual-cam bow,you should make sure that your cams are in sync,as this can affect accuracy big time.Also get them to check you rest for alingment,string for dammage and limbs for cracks(very DANGEROUS!).Your arrows should be inspected as well for truness,length,cracked shafts,loose nocks and points and dammage to your fletches.
I myself just started shooting bow(july of 04)but have jumped in with both feet and since than,and can't get enough.I shoot 2 times a week at my local club and shoot in my basement(15m)to practice release and follow through.I subscribe to magazines and am always watching video's and Dvd's on the subject.A wealth of knowledge can be found on the internet through different chat forum's like Bowzone or your manufacture's chat forums(mine is PSE).
Also,what you plan to do with your bow is a big question which determines your set-up.If you plan to target shoot,your set-up will be different than if you plan to hunt(no PAL req'd,but a shorter season).It all costs money,bow more so than rifle.Your gear will never be good enough,you'll always find faults with the stuff you just bought and then there's all those shiney new products that came out this year that'll suck the change out of ya like a old couch, but it's a hobby and a sport that will reward you for years to come.Not only that,but you can sneer at those rifle hunters because you have to get close enough to smell your quarry,not just see it.
Well hope this helps
May your arrows fly true and your quarry drop fast.

gun plumber said:
Ya post those pics.It could be a simple misunderstanding of the equipment.Some of my field points are dammaged as well,and still fly true for the most part.
Before you go shooting for the first time in a while you should go to the Wolf's Den and get them to inspect your bow for dammage and get a tune up.If your firing a dual-cam bow,you should make sure that your cams are in sync,as this can affect accuracy big time.Also get them to check you rest for alingment,string for dammage and limbs for cracks(very DANGEROUS!).Your arrows should be inspected as well for truness,length,cracked shafts,loose nocks and points and dammage to your fletches.
I myself just started shooting bow(july of 04)but have jumped in with both feet and since than,and can't get enough.I shoot 2 times a week at my local club and shoot in my basement(15m)to practice release and follow through.I subscribe to magazines and am always watching video's and Dvd's on the subject.A wealth of knowledge can be found on the internet through different chat forum's like Bowzone or your manufacture's chat forums(mine is PSE).
Also,what you plan to do with your bow is a big question which determines your set-up.If you plan to target shoot,your set-up will be different than if you plan to hunt(no PAL req'd,but a shorter season).It all costs money,bow more so than rifle.Your gear will never be good enough,you'll always find faults with the stuff you just bought and then there's all those shiney new products that came out this year that'll suck the change out of ya like a old couch, but it's a hobby and a sport that will reward you for years to come.Not only that,but you can sneer at those rifle hunters because you have to get close enough to smell your quarry,not just see it.
Well hope this helps
May your arrows fly true and your quarry drop fast.

alright i should do that i never used my bow but i got it off one of my dads friends and he used it a quite of few times, ive checked the bow and the arrows they seem pretty ok for now, ive also herd that they might be opening up a turkey hunt here in borden because there are soo many around here they are destroying the farmers crops so i might go and do that

The old toms in Borden are pretty wily old birds.To bad you can't hunt where they all hang out at all the time(right on the base!)but I've seen a few big uns out in the trg area as well.The best thing about bird hunting is you don't have to worry to much about scent control but your camo has to be top notch.Also,as in any game,scouting your area and knowing the habits of (hopefully)dinner,play a big part.
Remember-you usually don't get a second chance with a bow,make the first one count.
If your really serious,start now and get your set up ready.Also,a little target shooting at 20,30,and 40m will help greatly.This will also help in getting your muscles used to the draw.Make sure your bow is the proper draw length and poundage for you,keeping in mind the min requirements in your area(In Ab its 40 pounds,min)But definatly get your bow checked at the shop.If anything,it'll give you a heads up what to look for.One other thing,If the guy who gave you the bow has a different draw length than you,you'll need new arrows.If he's draw is longer,your allright,you can cut the arrows to length.If he's shorter,your fooked.

i've taken an interest in archery but have only got into longbow target shooting through school. i'd like to try big game hunting with compound bows someday though as it presents a real challenge rather than just pointing a rifle and giving the animal no chance.

justyn

I'm a pretty serious bow hunter, but don't shoot 3-D yet.

I have a Ben Pearson Diamonback VX  set at 65lbs  and 75% letoff
Spot Hogg Sight
Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter Dropaway rest
Winners Choice Strings
Beman ICS Hunter carbon arrows (Actually am switching over to Carbon Express Hunters)
Rocky Mountain Broadheads (I'm on Rocky Mountain's Hunting Staff)

PSE Tritron-60lbs,85% let-off
whisker biscuit rest
cobra sidewinder sight
little itty bitty goose release
easton excel arrows
sonic 125 grain broadheads(very soon)
What do you hunt down there in Az?Or should I say what don't you hunt?
Small world.I was in 1 fd in halifax for a number of years.(94-02)probably saw you in Gagetown or exchanged blows during ARCON smokers.

Bowtech Extreme Solo here set at 60lbs and 80% let off.

Wisker biscuit
Fletcher 3D release
Easton Super lites
Thunder heads  125gr
Sight bought used

Here is one of the boys we got this year.
buck.jpg

You might be surprised what we hunt here in AZ.. Coues (whitetail subspecies) and mule deer, javelina, bear, mountain lion, desert bighorn sheep, antelope, elk, turkey, buffalo, small game, several species of quail, ducks and geese, sandhill cranes, predators. Currently (until Jan 31st) I am hunting deer and javelina. Most of the big game species are by drawing only, and draw odds aren't great. There's a multitude of fish species also, including arctic grayling  :eek:  and northern pike.

See www.azgfd.com

Back