• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do reservists qualify for CERB?

Mattsmithaciss

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm a reservist who didn't complete BMQ. I did earn more than 5000 last year in total and I do a part time job where I earn less than 1000. Do I qualify for CERB? I don't have a civi job.i was expecting to earn money through FTSE and getting a civi full time job after that while also doing reserves.

Mattsmithaciss said:
I'm a reservist who didn't complete BMQ. I did earn more than 5000 last year in total and I do a part time job where I earn less than 1000. Do I qualify for CERB? I don't have a civi job.i was expecting to earn money through FTSE and getting a civi full time job after that while also doing reserves.

I haven't heard of FTSE being cancelled, was it?  If it's cancelled I would say yes, claim in for sure.  I'm debating this with my son.  He has BMQ and made more than $5000 last year as well.  He's still getting paid for the half day a week but an argument might be able to be made that he is missing out on weekends that were cancelled.  Someone I know told me his son in the same situation asked a CRA agent that question and posed it the way I mentioned about weekends and she told him to claim it.  I would say answer the questions they ask honestly and if you can, maybe try not to spend the money just in case you need to pay it back.  There are still way too many questions with who qualifies and all the different scenarios.

stellarpanther said:
I haven't heard of FTSE being cancelled, was it?  If it's cancelled I would say yes, claim in for sure.  I'm debating this with my son.  He has BMQ and made more than $5000 last year as well.  He's still getting paid for the half day a week but an argument might be able to be made that he is missing out on weekends that were cancelled.  Someone I know told me his son in the same situation asked a CRA agent that question and posed it the way I mentioned about weekends and she told him to claim it.  I would say answer the questions they ask honestly and if you can, maybe try not to spend the money just in case you need to pay it back.  There are still way too many questions with who qualifies and all the different scenarios.

I am not so sure that it's cancelled but from the looks of it FTSE might not happen if we're under lockdown in June. Does your son get paid for parade nights? If so then I guess he qualifies under the new requirement which states you can apply if you make 1000 or less a month.

Mattsmithaciss said:

You need to have a discussion with your unit CoC and read CANFORGEN 059/20 CMP 029/20 241238Z APR 20 regarding reservist compensation.

Receiving payment for parade nights not attended is optional and you may elect not to receive it if it will interfere with your eligibility for CERB.

At my unit, FTSE/GEO contracts are being honoured with our home as place of employment. We'll be working on DLN courses and fitness until such time as distancing requirements are eased and regular training and opportunities resume.

Were you not offered a Cl C contract in support of Op LASER/LENTUS? You should have been. That's your FTSE, and it even pays better.

PuckChaser said:
Were you not offered a Cl C contract in support of Op LASER/LENTUS? You should have been. That's your FTSE, and it even pays better.

There's a lot of people that only ask for 1or 2 months of FTSE, I thought the Class C contacts were to start a few weeks ago with specific dates, not just what the mbr wants? My son was asked a week or so ago to confirm the dates he wants this summer.

PuckChaser said:

Didn't complete BMQ. That suggests he's not operationally employable in any capacity.

Brihard said:
Didn't complete BMQ. That suggests he's not operationally employable in any capacity.

Are reservists required to be trade qualified before being operationally employable?

PuckChaser said:

Just messaged one of the HRA's I know at a Reserve unit in Ottawa and Class C could have been used as FTSE but the mbr, if within their first 4 years of guaranteed FTSE can still choose Class B as per normal.

PuckChaser said:

Didn't complete BMQ. I was in middle of it when this whole thing happened

Mattsmithaciss said:

Missed that part, thanks Bri.

I would ask through your course staff if there will be FTSE or compensation for missed training. Don't apply for CERB until you hear back from an official source that you're not being paid. Everyone else on your course and probably hundreds of other folks in your Bde are in the same boat so there's likely adults looking into this.

I'm the CSM for my unit's training Company. 

My responsibilities include troops who have not yet attained OFP (Occupational Function Point for those who don't know the acronym.)  This means DP1 qualified. 

The Class B and Class C positions as a part of OP LASER required at a minimum, BMQ completion. 

Some of my troops who are BMQ qualified have been offered (and accepted) Class C positions under OP LASER.

I have a number of my soldiers who are in the same position that the original poster is - we had troops on 2x BMQ's that were running within the Brigade when things 'went down' and one of those BMQ's literally was hours from boarding the bus to head out for their final exercise/weekend when we got word to shut it down.

Those troops have been in the forefront of my mind - we have raised to Brigade how to get them done - we're putting plans in place along with the necessary paperwork so that if we're given the 'go' we can assemble what we need to so that they can do their final training PC's (Performance Checks.)

I was in a teleconference last evening and the summer individual training programs were discussed - to say there is still a state of flux in those is an understatement.  However.  All levels of the Chains of Command are aware of the need to get troops trained.

I will suggest that the OP ask his or her Section Commander if there is any news yet.  We pass on what we can during our weekly fanout to our troops.

NS

Mattsmithaciss said:

Your circumstances may be different from mine, so you're still best to consult your CoC.

I was in week 3 of BMOQ at CFLRS on a TD contract when training was suspended. I was returned to unit, but am still being compensated for the duration of the TD contract. My home unit has provided a list of DLN courses to be completed in lieu of other duties to ensure I'm still earning my compensation.

My GEO contract commences at the end of my TD. DLN learning will continue until training resumes or restrictions are lifted.

I'm not currently eligible for Class C because I haven't completed BMOQ, but my name is on the availability list should the requirements change.

These are unusual times. FORCE test and medical renewals are being temporarily waived. Plans are still being made for re-starting training. Reserve units are operating with minimal staffing. Your CoC will be your most reliable source of information for your specific circumstances.

So everything I was told and repeated here, disregard.  My son hasn't received anything but his friend in a unit in a different city received an email today questioning FSTE this summer. 

So WRT my earlier comments about Reserve Mbr's collecting CERB I decided to call myself to enquire.  After calling the number listed on the CRA site you are eventually given a different number to call which they answer surprisingly fast.  I waited less than a minute.  I explained my son's situation and told them that while he does get paid approx. $60 a week now, he did have some of the weekends cancelled which would have gotten him more money.  This agent said as long as he makes less than $1000 a month then he should apply.  To be honest and clear, I told her that even if this virus didn't happen, he would still make less than $1000 a month.  That doesn't seem to matter.  If it's less than $1000 a month he should apply. 
I'm curious if there are others here with a similar situation.  It seems strange that a person would profit from this.

Funny you say that. There's been some concerns raised by small businesses that once the lockdowns are loosened, folks still won't return to work because they're making more on benefits.

Back