• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do Field Artillery Gunners Get Deployed for peacekeeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agenteagle

Inactive
Reaction score
I just submitted my application to CF and am hoping to become a Field Gunner but am worried that by the time I'm trained enough to be deployed Canada with not be in Afghanistan.  I'm looking into joining to make a difference in the world and would like to be deployed. What are the chances of a field gunner being deployed in a Bosnia or Kosovo like peacekeeping situation?

Oh and I can't join the infantry. It took me 5 years to convince my wife to let me join the Army and move to Canada so I can't push her to let me join infantry. Actually it took 4.5 years to convince her to let join the Canadian Air Force, I then asked if I could join the Army instead because that's what I really wanted to do. I'm thankful she is willing to support me and move our family knowing I will be deployed at some point and she will not be in the US and away from her family.

Please any Field Gunners that could answer if they are deployed on peacekeeping missions or is it only straight combat missions like Afghanistan?

Do Field Artillery Gunners Get Deployed for peacekeeping?
Yes.  Gunners deployed into the Former Yugoslavia at times doing the infantry thing, and others to actually do the field artillery thing.

:google:
http://www.army.dnd.ca/1RCHA/history_e.htm
http://www.artillery.net/new/5ralc.html

I just finished a GMT-IT course in St-Jean. A MBDR on my course was in Afghanistan last year.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it doesn't take forever to get in. Believe it or not my cousin just got in and it only took him 3 weeks. If I am only that lucky.

Once you get there(the artillery) if you end up with the FOO parties you'll spend alot of your time working with the infantry guys and in theatre you'll probably be with them (the infantry guys)more than anyone else. There used to be perhaps a little animosity when you would go there but the recent conflict and with what the FOO parties bring to the fight, that peacetime mentality seems to have dissolved.

Hope your wife doesnt read these responses agenteagle.  She might consider revoking your authorization.

Don't worry my wife know everything I said in my post. She knows that because of my faith (Christian) that I am going to serve others and risk everything in the process. I also told her that in Artillery I will be trained for infantry and could find myself doing that role. I guess she feels it's less risk then straight infantry. I have told her the only reason she changed her mind is because I work for Citi Bank and in the financial industry so my job here in Kentucky is not secure. She knows I'm using this as my excuse but she also knows that I wanted to do this before we got married and now she is letting me persue my dreams.

I have heard about the FOO but the FOO team is that all officers?

Thanks again for the responses

agenteagle,

Please visit, and read, the posts in the Artillery forum. They will answer most, if not all, of your questions.

Thanks & Ubique

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back