• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND Video Game Order

Morale areas overseas have games for the troops to play and movies for them to watch.

Thanks Infanteer. The morale boost makes sense, and plenty of it.

What of this, though:

The Canadian military, on the other hand, has officially sanctioned another game, "Virtual Battle Space 2," as a key training tool.

Two dozen soldiers who deployed to Afghanistan last year were required to play the game in six exercises, some of which involved locating improvised explosive devices or IEDs.

I'm not really up to date on tech related things, like gaming, so this is kind of surprising to see. I tried searching here to see what the deal is, but didn't fetch any results. Anyone here have experience with it? I can understand flight simulators as training tools, but video games, not so much. Seems so bizzare ???

VBS is used at the Armour School as simulation for patrol commanders, troop warrants, and troop leaders.  When possible, it may also be used for crew commanding.

A quick youtube search turns up this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJRpegpzO9o

Sapplicant said:
That, and 'Gears of War' is the most popular amongst the troops. Anyone else have any info on this?
List of the games headed downrange here.

I see that CoD is on the list. I noticed at my last visit to the PX in Schinnen that all AFESS outlets would not be selling the newest game out of respect for those currently serving. Apparently we don't have the same qualms.

Can't say for other area but in Valcartier we use VBS 2 to train lot's of people, at the simulation center we had MP practicing vehicule control, supply doing there convoy procedure (reacting to IED and such...) as well as armoured and infantry practicing some of their drills(not sure which ones).

In the Edmonton and Valcartier simulation center the air force come and do their Wing Warrior exercices to train there pilotes. The two I did see in Valcartier, were to prepare them to be deployed in Afghanistan and were very big in term of what's involve simulation wise.

Sapplicant said:
Thanks Infanteer. The morale boost makes sense, and plenty of it.

What of this, though:

I'm not really up to date on tech related things, like gaming, so this is kind of surprising to see. I tried searching here to see what the deal is, but didn't fetch any results. Anyone here have experience with it? I can understand flight simulators as training tools, but video games, not so much. Seems so bizzare ???

I was tasked with taking a platoon through VBS IOT compare the LAV III versus the LAV RWS. We were placed in a series of tactical vignettes of attack and defence with both a platoon of all LAV III's, all LAV RWS's, and a mixed platoon.  I wouldn't say the VBS was terribly effective at comparing the two systems and actual field trials would be needed to decide between the two platforms. I'm not sold on its effectiveness for practicing drills either except for perhaps at the most rudimentary level (ie. this is what a VPS looks like, this is what Iranian lamp cord might look like running into a culvert). However, what it was great for was conducting hasty combat estimates  and devising quick plans.  We only had a few mins for each vignette and little information on the enemy and we had to quickly come up with our plan and enact it. Great tool for leadership, not totally sold on how effective it is at a soldier level.

captloadie said:
I see that CoD is on the list. I noticed at my last visit to the PX in Schinnen that all AFESS outlets would not be selling the newest game out of respect for those currently serving. Apparently we don't have the same qualms.

I know there was an issue with the game (though if memory serves I thought it was the Medal of honour game could be wrong though) and that Mackay had spoken out against it.  In the end though the company pulled the part where player get to play as Taliban and so the topic kind of fell off the radar.  I hear it's a good game, but now it seems like the controversy has pretty much cleared up.

Anyone else have more info on this.  I loved reading about this in the news feeds and am curious about of the final results.

captloadie said:

Actually your talking about the new Medal of Honor game set in Afghanistan depicting actual events that occurred during the opening days of the war.  The Call of Duty games have nothing to do with actual current events, except for maybe some common locales.

The MoH game was banned from being sold on US military bases, but I guarantee you a large number of US servicemen still play the game.

The controversy was lessend by re-naming the Taliban faction in the multi-player portion of the game to "OPFOR."  You still play as a bad guy, just the name has changed, and that apparently has appeased the incensed masses who thought it distasteful.

I sit corrected  ;D It is a sad day when I realize I'm no longer up to speed on the newest games.

captloadie said:
I'm no longer up to speed on the newest games.

Something my kids remind me of everytime they kick my ass at CoD !!

Back