• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND/VAC (Re)Introduces "Memorial Ribbon"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This just out from the CF Info-machine - release also attached or downloadable (PDF) here if link doesn't work for you:
As part of Veterans Week 2011, the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces (CF), are pleased to announce the official launch of the Memorial Ribbon. Starting today, the Memorial Ribbon will be offered to close family and friends of fallen CF members as a memento of personal loss and sacrifice.

“The introduction of the Memorial Ribbon reflects a Department of National Defence and Canadian Forces desire to provide a small token of remembrance to those closest to our fallen,” said the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence. “For example, the children of fallen Canadian Forces members, who are not usually designated as potential recipients of the Memorial Cross, will now be able to honour their mothers or fathers by wearing this Ribbon with pride.”

Up to five Memorial Ribbons may be issued in commemoration of every CF member whose death is attributed to injury or disease related to military service, and occurred on or after October 7, 2001.

“We grieve whenever we lose a member of our Canadian Forces family, be it to illness, accident or combat; it is a painful and sad event. We have a duty to recognize and honour our fallen comrades, while also being sensitive to a grieving family's loss,” said General Walt Natynczyk, Chief of the Defence Staff. “The Memorial Ribbon is a symbol of remembrance that complements the Memorial Cross. The Ribbon will assist us in better honouring close family members and the children of our fallen while also recognizing the family's sacrifice. We will remember them.”

The Memorial Ribbon will now be part of the Memorial Package, which includes the Memorial Cross, the Memorial Scroll, the Memorial Bar, the Sacrifice Medal, and inscription in the Seventh Book of Remembrance. For those eligible recipients whose beneficiaries have previously received the Memorial Package without the Memorial Ribbon, the ribbons will be sent separately to the executor of the estate upon written request.

The Department of National Defence’s Directorate of Honours and Recognition (DH&R) is the office responsible for administration of the Memorial Ribbon.

(....)

For more information on the design, the eligibility criteria, and to view an image of the new Memorial Ribbon, please consult DH&R’s website at: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/index-eng.asp .

Up to five Memorial Ribbons may be issued in commemoration of every CF member whose death is attributed to injury or disease related to military service, and occurred on or after October 7, 2001.

Does this include suicide?
If so is it only if the member was serving overseas at the time or does it cover after they have been home a while?

I'd like to look in to it for my friends son.

Following on from the painfully expanded PEN form -- because some self-proclaimed "close friends/family" felt slighted by the service member's choice of who to notify -- we now have another potential can of worms as people argue that they are more deserving than 'friend/family #5'  ::)

/cynicism [born of experience]

The  executor of the estate must ask for these in writing. The NOK should decide who gets a ribbon.

Jim Seggie said:
The NOK should decide who gets a ribbon.
Really? I would have thought the member should have some say in who's designated.

After all, there may be situations where the soldier isn't particularly close to the family and perhaps has more insight into who the close friends may be.

Journeyman said:
Really? I would have thought the member should have some say in who's designated.

After all, there may be situations where the soldier isn't particularly close to the family and perhaps has more insight into who the close friends may be.

Sorry, to clarify the press release states it will be offered to the close family and friends of the fallen. No matter how many ribbons are issued, there will always be those who feel slighted.

Hmmmm.....

As of this post, the link to the news release:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?id=3990
no longer seems to work.

???

Well, somebody has to have a job rewriting stuff, no?  ;)

Journeyman said:
we now have another potential can of worms as people argue that they are more deserving than 'friend/family #5'  ::)

As far as I'm concerned (borne through observation as well), the military can keep out of these bunfights by including the ribbons on the DND 2105.  I've seen fights over Memorial Crosses, but the form is the legal document that gives us the ability to stay out of such affairs.

The real challenge is making sure Pers Admin is on top of things to routinely update this document; the mess starts when ex-girlfriends/wives are on these lists (over parents, siblings) because they were out-dated.

PMedMoe said:
Well, somebody has to have a job rewriting stuff, no?  ;)
Or sitting on it a bit longer - say, another 5-6 days or so?  ;)

Thank you for sharing that. I've downloaded the letter and will wait to see who to contact for this. I've also sent it on to other widows/families.

Belinda
:remembrance:

A family submitted a letter, here is part of the response they were given.

"Unfortunately, the release of the Memorial Ribbon memento is currently under review by a higher authority.  The determination of this review will dictate how DH&R will proceed with the Memorial Ribbon."

Thought I'd share...

belinda said:

"Unfortunately, the release of the Memorial Ribbon memento is currently under review by a higher authority.  The determination of this review will dictate how DH&R will proceed with the Memorial Ribbon."

Thought I'd share...

Thank you.

belinda said:

Thought I'd share...
Thanks for the update - much appreciated.

An announcement coming tomorrow (6 Nov 12) morning:
The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, and the Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs Canada, will make a joint announcement on November 6, 2012, regarding an initiative to recognize the families and friends of deceased Canadian Forces members and to commemorate their lost loved-ones ....
Wonder if it's something like this - again?

Quick. Capture the memo before the link is disabled.  :sarcasm:

Lets see if its meaningful or just a plan to deflect criticism of VAC.

newwifey said:
Yes, according to information I've received today, it is a similar announcement.  The date has changed tho "on or after October 1, 1947"
Thanks for sharing - take care.

Probably the new $20 bill
canada-20-bill.jpg

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/11/05/bank-of-canada-set-to-release-new-polymer-20-bill-wednesday/

WrenchBender

Back