• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND Mail being destroyed (APRIL FOOLS')

mover1

Inactive
Reaction score
Did anyone see this in yesterdays paper? This crap made me so mad.... :threat:

Undelivered Mail Piles up in Belleville
CP- Robert Leblanc  2007-03-31
http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGcanforce-e.asp#1378601

Solders in Afghanistan may not receive all of their letters, a Canada Post spokesman said today.  Some of our 2500 fighting men and women, may or may not receive their mail due to an age old custom of having their loved ones spray their letters with perfume or cologne.

The Canada post sorting outlet in Belleville is like most government buildings, considered a scent free zone. Mr Ahmad, the regional spokesman has backed up this decision by stating a Canada Post rule that states parcels and letters may be turned away if it contains any item that “may soil, taint or damage mail or mail equipment, expose a person to danger or emit offensive odours”.
Mr. Ahmad was quoted as saying "So far we haven't received any complaints from our workers but the risk is still there. So to be on the safe side we are returning any mail that meets this definition." Since this decision has been made the unacceptable items have piling up in the Belleville warehouse, most of which are letters which smell of perfume.  Some of the items will be returned to sender while those that have the most risk to offend may be destroyed.

DND could not be reached to comment on this issue.

(Mod edit to clarify title.)

I guess it's hard to appreciate what those letters and 'offensive oders' (of home & loved ones) mean unless you're the one recieving them, and/or missing them.

:(

I'm thinking, if this is an "age old custom" why all of a sudden does it make a difference? I'm sure that there is other mail besides DND mail, that is scented in some way, shape or form and they are focusing on mail to the Troops from thier families for some reason? It says that the workers are not complaining so I'm wondering what the big deal with this is.

~Rebecca

mover1 said:
Mr. Ahmad was quoted as saying "So far we haven't received any complaints from our workers but the risk is still there. So to be on the safe side we are returning any mail that meets this definition." Since this decision has been made the unacceptable items have piling up in the Belleville warehouse, most of which are letters which smell of perfume.  Some of the items will be returned to sender while those that have the most risk to offend may be destroyed.

DND could not be reached to comment on this issue.

Unbelievable. Another damn case of bureaucrats fixing problems that do not exist...sadly at the expense of the morale of the CFs deployed personnel. They are acting on nonexistent complaints. Could it be that the average postal workers who do handle the damn mail have, obviously,  more common courtesy for our deployed personnel than the those at the top who implement this "fix" to the problem that hasn't been complained about yet.

I also find it quite friggin appalling that these items are piling up at the Belleville warehouse. Belleville? That's 13km and two military plane flights away from those who for the mail is intended. So instead of doing the proper thing, and releasing it from the warehouse for furtherance on those mil flights to our deployed personnel whose moral it involves; the bureaucrats at Canada Post have decided to return it to sender via, ironically, the Canada Post system. Unfreakinbelievable.

Yep. Idiots. Plain and simple.

Maybe someone from CFB Trenton should get a truck, go pick up themail and have it sent on mil flights.  This is BS...  This country never ceases to amaze me..... ::)

Well all my letters made it through last Roto. So is someone new working that wants to be a pain?  ::)

Pea said:
So is someone new working that wants to be a pain?  ::)

No Pea, no one's made a complaint yet as the article states.

He's simply trying to be proactive in avoiding a possible complaint by a Canada Post employee. He doesn't seem to care though about the troops having any complaints...judging by his proactiveness at their expense. It's disgusting.

I realize no one has made a complaint yet. What I meant is that is this guy all a sudden being "proactive"? Either way, I think it's retarded. There are actual important things to worry about these days.

Another bungling by the idiots at Canada post. What; their saying that, all their employees are alergic to perfume?

What a bunch of overpayed monkeys!!!!!!!!

My experiance of Canada Post is that they are a bunch of clowns. I had an AFL footy that was sent to me, from Australia to Canada...then sent back because the person sending it had only written "Petawawa" not "CFB Petawawa". Took 10 weeks before i did eventually get it.
They seem incapable of thinking outside the box or even vaguely abstractly. Everything has to be black and white for them. Purfume is obviously not offensive, no harm is going to be done and yet, they dont deliver it because someone is worried someone could possible complain. Bloody disgraceful.

Smells like bull x#@*  to me!

Mental note...
"In case of invasion forget to defend all Can Post locations."  ;)

I could go off on a pretty bad rant here, but I'll contain myself as best as possible. Just know that there are SOME good people (myself, not to be TOO modest) that work at Canada Post, however, I'm not one of the higher ups, just a grunt delivering mail, and doing a damned good job of it. But I could tell you stories upon stories about how f*cktarded it can get at that place. The place is littered with people who will stab you in the back, just to see you fall. A large number (I won't say majority, yet) of them will not do one ounce more of work than they have to to get their bloody paycheque, I'm sorry, but in representing a government organization, we should put a LOT better effort into what we do. It's no small reason that I refer to Canada Post as, not a Crown corporation, but a Clown corporation, and I've only been there, on term, for about 5 months now. Myself soon aspiring to become a member of the CF (yes, I'm hoping, already, to make Canada Post a distant memory), I think it is disgraceful that any disrespect should be shown towards our CF members (please, omitting the CFB in front of Petawawa isn't that big a deal, deliver the damned mail). I delivered a few large parcels from 1 RCR to a local reservist who came home last month who wasn't home, and instead of carding them and sending them to the closest Shopper's (they were pretty large), I left a card in his mailbox, firstly thanking him for his service and congratulating him on his safe return, and secondly, notifying him that he had several parcels around at his back door for him. It's those little things that we should pride ourselves in. But Canada Post makes people bitter. I only hope that I can come out of it better than most. (I apologize for the rant that I tried to say that I would avoid, by the way).

-Paul

We had a Col. asking us if there was anything that could be done to aleviate the stress on the home front. I think I might just submit a memo up the chain about my mail not being delivered and the stress and anger that it is causing.

"Scent Free Zone"?  Balls.  You think for one minite that if a Canada Post employee went to work covered in so much perfume that she/he was a fire hazard, that she/he would be scent (heh-heh-heh) home because Canada Post was a "Scent Free Zone"?  Union be all over Canada Post like dust on a TV. 

We have no 'right' to a scent free area.  As obnoxious and offensive as we may find it, the coutrs dictate otherwise.

How did this mail get to Belleville in the first place? Obviously other Canada Post employees did not find its smell offensive. And how is the mail going to get back to the sender. Again by Canada Post, smelly or not. Any posties out there?-I suspect they pickup the mail  in Belleville for the various CFPOs and deliver it themselves to Trenton for onwards distribution.

What is offensive is the attitude of the  manager mentioned; he needs to be sacked.

Well, that article is pretty bad PR. 

I'm willing to bet they'll realize how bad it looks and internally sort it out.  Historically, CP has been the brunt of many jabs, they would be better spent re-working their image instead of damaging it further....

This scent free thing is taking off all over the place. Case in point a young woman on a bus was ejected in Alberta and this little offering in the Halifax paper this morning.

Re: "Perfume takes command of bus drivers senses (March 25). I sympathize with the Calgary bus driver. I am a chronic asthmatic. In the past year, I have spoken to three men about their cologne, only to find out they had none on at the time.
    I asked them what they had used and they said it was deodorant. The "High Endurance" Old Spice to be specific. I find the super-spiced-up deodorants terrible and I move away from men or women who use these products. buses, plane, taxis and all passenger-carrying vehicles should be scent-free.
    Musk in products are a killer for me. I literally lose my breath. The perfume-wearing passenger, Nathalie Kuhn was not a caring person. Someday she may be on a mask for survival.
Barbara Laird, Porters Lake

Once again individual rights are trumping collective rights....it's not going to get any better me thinks.  ::)

Back