• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND IT takes a great leap forward

I think you're several months early on that post.  Today isn't April 1st.

We can only hope that with SSC taking over DWAN that a government wide search algorithm is in the works.

Then we have to hope it isn't worse than the current one, but that would be quite a feat!

I think you underestimate SSC's ability to take a barely-functioning resource and turn it into a smoking heap of silicon.

Occam said:
I think you underestimate SSC's ability to take a barely-functioning resource and turn it into a smoking heap of silicon.

I'm a techno optimist. And I actually think the lofty ambitions behind SSC make sense if they do what they say they will.

There's 3000 separate network enclaves in GOC. I think the Byzantines had a better planned communication network.

Aw sweet! We got the Windows-7 computers!

never mind, they just put a sticker on it, they still run XP and the old version of explorer...

Shrek1985 said:
Aw sweet! We got the Windows-7 computers!

never mind, they just put a sticker on it, they still run XP and the old version of explorer...

Hey! IE 8 was just rolled out! Yes, the rest of the world is now on IE 10, but at least my bank's website won't keep suggesting I get with the times and upgrade to a newer browser.

The word I got on Windows 7 (from a reliable source) is fully rolled out by March 31, though I also recently heard from a less reliable source that the support contract was extended to July.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
Hey! IE 8 was just rolled out! Yes, the rest of the world is now on IE 10, but at least my bank's website won't keep suggesting I get with the times and upgrade to a newer browser.

The word I got on Windows 7 (from a reliable source) is fully rolled out by March 31, though I also recently heard from a less reliable source that the support contract was extended to July.

Hopefully DRMIS will be able to work on it soon or else the CFSS side of the house is in for a rough time.

Just wait until everyone finds out that they won't be able to put their Outlook personal folders (the ones that are in use, anyways) on their network drive anymore, and that the personal folders will have to be stored locally.  I hope they'll have an automated backup solution in place that will at least allow the backups to the network.

Occam said:
Just wait until everyone finds out that they won't be able to put their Outlook personal folders (the ones that are in use, anyways) on their network drive anymore, and that the personal folders will have to be stored locally.  I hope they'll have an automated backup solution in place that will at least allow the backups to the network.

The funny part is I have heard more about that, then the pending inability to use DRMIS.

Occam said:
Why's that?

Oh, don't get me wrong - I work with DRMIS on a daily basis, and it still boggles me.  The simple tools I used to use (CFSS, DRP, CFSS WQT, Visual R&O Query Tool, etc.) have all been replaced by a behemoth that makes me drink from a fire hose every time I need a simple little piece of information.  Eventually it'll get fixed up as we move along and discover that DRMIS doesn't do something we need it to do, and pay a SAP programmer $$$ to rewrite something.

But I also have a need to access over 10 years of my predecessor's personal folders, as well as my own personal folders - all stored on the network (right now).  It's easy enough to move it all to my local drive, but there had better be a way to ensure that when I move it there, it can be backed up to somewhere on the network so it doesn't go *poof* if my laptop blows up.

Rheostatic said:
Why's that?

Windows 7 and/or Outlook 2010 won't allow you to access personal folders on a network share.

Rheostatic said:
Why's that?

That is the way that system is designed, combined with the fact that someone in some high tower somewhere probably thought that everyone in the CF only used one workstation, or had a workstation that was highly portable.  :-\

Occam said:
But I also have a need to access over 10 years of my predecessor's personal folders, as well as my own personal folders - all stored on the network (right now).  It's easy enough to move it all to my local drive, but there had better be a way to ensure that when I move it there, it can be backed up to somewhere on the network so it doesn't go *poof* if my laptop blows up.

Windows 7 and/or Outlook 2010 won't allow you to access personal folders on a network share.

I know that the IT folk are upset with the amount of stuff we have saved on their Server Drives.  Simple solution would have been to increase the size of those Drives.  Now you need to increase the size of the Drives on all our DWAN computers or issue external Hard Drives that one can transport from location to location.........................Or everyone works on secure laptops (with large hard drives that can handle the storage necessary for one's work.)  TB is going the route of using laptops and doing away with all desktops.  I imagine they are taking the lead in encouraging other Depts to do likewise.

And if you log into a WINDOWS 7 workstation and then move back to one with WINDOWS XP, your mail profile gets screwed up.....  :facepalm:

Windows 8 has been released so in two years when Windows 9 is out, we'll upgrade to 8.

:facepalm:

It'll be a moot point soon since the storage of Outlook will increase from 90 MB to 1GB per user. 

We upgraded to Windows 7 couple weeks ago.  Way better than XP.

Windows 8 sucks.  By the trend, we will buy Windows 9 next.  It seems every second Windows sucks.

At least we moved up the almost latest version of Microsoft office....

"The CAF...use *yesterdays technology...today!"

*not limited to Baseline computers.  8)

Back