• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

Eaglelord17 said:
To be fair having spent time in the Reserves and Regs, I have found much more deadweight in the Regs than the Reserves, main difference is one is always paid, the other isn't (and even then it is at 15% less with less benefits).

I feel the best way to fix the Reserves is to take it out of Reg Force control (at least budget wise). Give them a stable budget which shall increase by x amount each year, and if there are cuts do it equally between the Regs and Reserves (I know heresy). Also give them permission to recruit 180 troops per unit minimum with most the recruiting being done by the unit recruiter (as the current system bleeds the unit before they have a chance, how is it when you have 15 potential recruits in the fall only one gets in by the summer? Most recruits you get are either High School students or in University so it might be best to make it so you can hire them in a timely fashion before they get a job at X fastfood place or are no longer interested). This would bring the Reserve army up to approximately 25,000-30,000 troops which is something that can be used effectively (either in augmentation or in the event of a real war you actually have a decent force to call to arms).

This.  The PRES needs its own budget independent of the reg force and may even need its own CoC.  Like the National Guard or something similar.

dapaterson said:
Realistically, that needs to be done for both Reg and Res F at the same time - what do we want the CAF writ large to be able to do; how should we structure it to do that, with a mix of high readiness (Reg F) and reduced readiness (Res F).

With 25% of the Reg F now officers, I'd argue that there's ample room for an examination of command structures there as well... and likely some savings that could be reinvested from staff processes into readiness.

Agree wholeheartedly.  We are not lean enough in either component and IMO, much useable $$ is being pissed away on thing that should not be a priority.  A housecleaning is in order.

Eaglelord17 said:
To be fair having spent time in the Reserves and Regs, I have found much more deadweight in the Regs than the Reserves, main difference is one is always paid, the other isn't (and even then it is at 15% less with less benefits).

The problem exists in both, so it is not generic to one more than the other, although Reg Force deadwood being posted to a RSS position can be devastating. 

Eaglelord17 said:
I feel the best way to fix the Reserves is to take it out of Reg Force control (at least budget wise).

This has been done in the past and still in certain units where there is a shortage of Reg Force to post in as RSS.  The problems with the Reserves is maintaining a cadre if pers who have the knowledge base to continue to operate effectively.

Eaglelord17 said:
Give them a stable budget which shall increase by x amount each year, and if there are cuts do it equally between the Regs and Reserves (I know heresy). Also give them permission to recruit 180 troops per unit minimum with most the recruiting being done by the unit recruiter (as the current system bleeds the unit before they have a chance, how is it when you have 15 potential recruits in the fall only one gets in by the summer? Most recruits you get are either High School students or in University so it might be best to make it so you can hire them in a timely fashion before they get a job at X fastfood place or are no longer interested). This would bring the Reserve army up to approximately 25,000-30,000 troops which is something that can be used effectively (either in augmentation or in the event of a real war you actually have a decent force to call to arms).

Finances and recruiting numbers are dictated by Treasury Board decisions, as discussed in other threads.  Recruiting timelines have also been discussed in other threads, and due to the fact that we are much more security conscious today than a couple of decades ago, the timelines for clearing new recruits will vary.  Could you imagine having an intake of new recruits to a Reserve unit who all had sympathies for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant just because you wanted to forgo any form of checks in a hurry to bring up your numbers? 

Crantor said:
This.  The PRES needs its own budget independent of the reg force and may even need its own CoC.  Like the National Guard or something similar.

But if you look at the sheer numbers of the entire US ORBAT, Active Service/Reserve/Guard units, they have enough numbers to make their system make (some) sense, militarily and politically (ie Guard units *belong* to the State).  Imagine a province like PEI under this org format, with a 'Guard force' of 100 crewmen and signallers about 50 or so Naval Reserves on the waterfront. 

Eye In The Sky said:
But if you look at the sheer numbers of the entire US ORBAT, Active Service/Reserve/Guard units, they have enough numbers to make their system make (some) sense, militarily and politically (ie Guard units *belong* to the State).  Imagine a province like PEI under this org format, with a 'Guard force' of 100 crewmen and signallers about 50 or so Naval Reserves on the waterfront.

For the army reserves we need to get out of provincial boundaries.

Put a Reg force BGen and CWO in charge of the Army Reserve Division and give them their own budget.

Three areas. 

Everything from Quebec city to the Atlantic would be the Eastern Reserve Brigade

Toronto to Mtl, central

West of Toronto would be western.

Each lead by a Colonel with several company commanders commanding elements of units that could be force generated to whatever.

Or something similar to that.

Eye In The Sky said:
............  The main purpose of the PRES is to augment the Regs.

(1) Define the need, role, whatever of the PRES.  (2) Define the realistic command and supply structures needed to support that role (3) fund that organization.

Its great to toss numbers around for troop strength.  Pease don't throw the token "domestic ops" lifeline out for what the PRES will do.

Crantor said:

[Drastic COA and be afraid of The Good Idea Faeries:]

One solution may be to change the Recruiting System.  As a large number of Reservist do CT to the Regular Force, sometimes as high as 50% of a Reserve unit's recruit intake, take the training of all recruits out of the hands of the Regular Force and have the Reserves run ALL Recruit Training.  Leave the CFRG to do all the documentation and checks of recruits, but the BMQ and BMOQ to the Reserve Force; running all CAF members, Reserve and Regular, through identical Basic Training and initial Trades training (Exception would be all Trades not found in the Reserves, of which there are many.) before being sent off to their units.  This would create a larger responsibility on the Reserves towards building that old idea of "Total Force". 

Crantor said:

Put a Reg force BGen and CWO in charge of the Army Reserve Division and give them their own budget.

Three areas. 

Everything from Quebec city to the Atlantic would be the Eastern Reserve Brigade

Toronto to Mtl, central

Each lead by a Colonel with several company commanders commanding elements of units that could be force generated to whatever.

Now that right there would be a step towards reducing the fat that could allow for more 'teeth'.

Crantor said:

Three areas. 

Toronto to Mtl, central

Your geopolitical and ethnic/cultural boundaries may be problematic.

George Wallace said:
[Drastic COA and be afraid of The Good Idea Faeries:]

One solution may be to change the Recruiting System.  As a large number of Reservist do CT to the Regular Force, sometimes as high as 50% of a Reserve unit's recruit intake, take the training of all recruits out of the hands of the Regular Force and have the Reserves run ALL Recruit Training.  Leave the CFRG to do all the documentation and checks of recruits, but the BMQ and BMOQ to the Reserve Force; running all CAF members, Reserve and Regular through identical Basic Training and initial Trades training (Exception would be all Trades not found in the Reserves, of which there are many.) before being sent off to their units.  This would create a larger responsibility on the Reserves towards building that old idea of "Total Force".

What about this, but with Reg force pers injected into the system sort of like RSS is part of the PRES units now?  Would CFLRS then fall under one of the newly formed Reserve Bde's and be home to a large number of Cl B folks?

Eye In The Sky said:
What about this, but with Reg force pers injected into the system sort of like RSS is part of the PRES units now?  Would CFLRS then fall under one of the newly formed Reserve Bde's and be home to a large number of Cl B folks?

CFLRS would remain under the Training System, separate from any Bde's quiffs. 

There already are Reservists on staff at CFLRS, so not much of a change there.  The largest change would likely be the increase in candidates passing through the doors of CFLRS, with a large number of Reservists now filling the June to August positions.  Other Reservists who can manage timings during other portions of the year would be included with Regular Force candidates, much the same way that both Reg and Reserve attend the same officer training at CTC.

George Wallace said:
Your geopolitical and ethnic/cultural boundaries may be problematic.

Maybe but who cares.  Why does 33CBG have an armoured recce unit in Oshawa when there is one right across the river literally 5 mins from CSDH.  Makes no sense.

Either way, you reduce the overhead to make the army reserve a more coherent functional entity rather than the mini empires scattered across the land.

And the Ottawa unified regiment, Toronto Regiment and Montreal regiment would still be culturally/ethnically the same they'd just answer to on central command who takes direction from the BGen who controls the reserve budget.

Crantor said:
Maybe but who cares.  Why does 33CBG have an armoured recce unit in Oshawa when there is one right across the river literally 5 mins from CSDH.  Makes no sense.

One fatal flaw with that plan IMO and that is French Voice Procedure. Le Regiment de Hull is identified as a Franco unit. Is it fair to expect them to operate in English? Is it fair to expect the rest of the brigade to operate in French?

Though I have never understood why the Ontario Regiment isn't a part of 32 Brigade.

runormal said:
One fatal flaw with that plan IMO and that is French Voice Procedure. Le Regiment de Hull is identified as a Franco unit. Is it fair to expect them to operate in English? Is it fair to expect the rest of the brigade to operate in French?

Though I have never understood why the Ontario Regiment isn't a part of 32 Brigade.

34 CBG has Franco and Anglo units and seem to work just fine.  Most R de Hull guys I've worked with work fine in both French and English.  It's matter of adapting.  It's not a really a fatal flaw by any stretch.

George Wallace said:
There already are Reservists on staff at CFLRS, so not much of a change there.  The largest change would likely be the increase in candidates passing through the doors of CFLRS, with a large number of Reservists now filling the June to August positions.

I left CFLRS about a decade ago, so my info is dated, but there is a problem with this proposal. The June to Aug period is already problematic as that is the time the RMC/CMR candidates have to be trained. This already represents a large increase in the number of candidates and is challenging resources every year. I don't know how many PRes pers are trained on BMQ/BMOQ per year, but I can't imagine an influx of hundreds more on top of the RMC/CMR candidates.

recceguy said:
A big part of the problem you are stuck on is that you have 3 x CO, 3 x RSM, 3 x Ops cells vying for control and coordination. An amalgamated outfit would have only one of each driving a single organization. Training can be conducted the way it always has, but at the Sqn level vice Regimental, with a Major and SSM at the hilt operating under direction of the central Command Cell.

My example was from multiple Saturday training days, post-amalgamation. One CO, one RSM.

Jungle said:
I left CFLRS about a decade ago, so my info is dated, but there is a problem with this proposal. The June to Aug period is already problematic as that is the time the RMC/CMR candidates have to be trained. This already represents a large increase in the number of candidates and is challenging resources every year. I don't know how many PRes pers are trained on BMQ/BMOQ per year, but I can't imagine an influx of hundreds more on top of the RMC/CMR candidates.

Good point.  If the facilities can handle the influx of more candidates, a probable solution would be an influx of instructional Staff as well for the peak periods.

George Wallace said:
Good point.  If the facilities can handle the influx of more candidates, a probable solution would be an influx of instructional Staff as well for the peak periods.

WRT the RMC cadets: They are on the payroll.  The Reservists aren't.  Readjust RMC's schedule to spread the load.  Perhaps the semester on - semester off system popular with University Co-Op systems.  Or perhaps more tactical training during longer semesters.

runormal said:

Look at how many Armour Regiments are with each Bde.

Kirkhill said:
WRT the RMC cadets: They are on the payroll.  The Reservists aren't.  Readjust RMC's schedule to spread the load.  Perhaps the semester on - semester off system popular with University Co-Op systems.  Or perhaps more tactical training during longer semesters.

The influx of ROTP into CFLRS is due to the timings between when they are enrolled and then must start classes.  Being on the payroll is not really a factor.  At the same time, there are some Reservists who have the time to attend full-time training other than just in the summer months. 

There are many NCO's and officers in the Reserves who could use a Class B Call Out to be instructors and staff for the summer months and you have the problem solved.....as long as facilities can carry that load.  Then again, must they all go to St Jean to remain under the CFLRS umbrella?

George Wallace said:
as long as facilities can carry that load.  Then again, must they all go to St Jean to remain under the CFLRS umbrella?

And what is wrong with a summer under canvas in beautiful Shilo, Dundurn and Suffield?  There doesn't seem to be a shortage of Blue Rockets based on the pictures I have seen of 1 CanDiv's HQs.

1st-can-div-m.jpg

Back