• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

Totally agree.  In my Unit, nearly all of my leadership staff work Class B in Aldershot and volunteer with the Unit.  For example, OC A, CSM A, all 3 Pl WO's, and all my Sect Comd less two, and up until last year myself were filling at least two roles.  The Unit has had only 3 officers make it to Maj and still be with the Unit.  One is now the Brigade Comd, Myself as the CO and OC A.  The person slated to take of the Unit after me is still in the Reg force.

Harris said:
Totally agree.  In my Unit, nearly all of my leadership staff work Class B in Aldershot and volunteer with the Unit.  For example, OC A, CSM A, all 3 Pl WO's, and all my Sect Comd less two, and up until last year myself were filling at least two roles.  The Unit has had only 3 officers make it to Maj and still be with the Unit.  One is now the Brigade Comd, Myself as the CO and OC A.  The person slated to take of the Unit after me is still in the Reg force.

And all for 15% off the regular price... >:D

Building sand castles, this is what the reserve is about, IMHO, sadly.

Those of us who stick around will see an endless parade of troops and officers. The majority will serve and leave. Some will achieve greatness, leaving us to mourn their departure. Some will stick around, for better or worse.

What is the purpose of the reserve?:
-Serve as a conduit to augment the regular force in time of need?
-Aid to civil power under dire circumstances?
-Maintain a CF footprint in the community?
-???

NinerSix said:
What is the purpose of the reserve?:
-Serve as a conduit to augment the regular force in time of need?
-Aid to civil power under dire circumstances?
-Maintain a CF footprint in the community?
-???

Also:

- Create an ability for units to end-run around the Regular Force ECP and Career Managers to create Class B billets for assorted jobs that aren't actually part of the Reg Force establishment
- Maintain a truly impressive array of cap-badges and regiments (Scotland has 3.5 Scottish regiments, Canada has 16 Scottish regiments, which seems a little excessive)
- Conduct initial attraction and initial entry training for civilians that eventually end up as Regulars. Many Regulars started in the Reserves -- our Reserve Units might be doing a better job than anything that Recruiting Group is doing.

- But the big one is the individual augmentation piece. Our Army units, as established, are way too understrength to do anything beyond Roto 0 without either 1: cannibalizing other units for guys, 2: reserve augmentation, or 3: both at the same time. Reservists were critical in Yugoslavia, in Afghanistan, and are going to be a big part of our current quagmire in Iraq/Syria.

Ostrozac said:
Also:

- Create an ability for units to end-run around the Regular Force ECP and Career Managers to create Class B billets for assorted jobs that aren't actually part of the Reg Force establishment
- Maintain a truly impressive array of cap-badges and regiments (Scotland has 3.5 Scottish regiments, Canada has 16 Scottish regiments, which seems a little excessive)
- Conduct initial attraction and initial entry training for civilians that eventually end up as Regulars. Many Regulars started in the Reserves -- our Reserve Units might be doing a better job than anything that Recruiting Group is doing.

- But the big one is the individual augmentation piece. Our Army units, as established, are way too understrength to do anything beyond Roto 0 without either 1: cannibalizing other units for guys, 2: reserve augmentation, or 3: both at the same time. Reservists were critical in Yugoslavia, in Afghanistan, and are going to be a big part of our current quagmire in Iraq/Syria.

And, most importantly, to lend style and character to what would otherwise be yet another unfortunate organization robbed of its passion by the Federal fun police. ;D

Perhaps the time has come to start to amalgamate regiments. Why does Winnipeg have two Infantry regiments? Why are there 16 Scottish Regiments?

Hamish Seggie said:
Perhaps the time has come to start to amalgamate regiments. Why does Winnipeg have two Infantry regiments? Why are there 16 Scottish Regiments?

Newton's third law, of course

In the absence of a compelling reason to change, and the right leadership and resources, inertia will always win.

Always funny how we can apply physics to anthropology, psychology and sociology.

MM

daftandbarmy said:
Newton's third law, of course

In the absence of a compelling reason to change, and the right leadership and resources, inertia will always win.

So, does anybody have any idea how to get in touch with this chap:

hughes_sam.jpg

Sam may have been a poor judge of rifles, entrenching tools and leather boots* but he did manage to get a division out the door in double quick time.

*And judging from the current state of affairs we may have been too hard on the old bugger.

Hamish Seggie said:

Why not do what the brits have been doing? for example lets take 41 CBG just because that is were I am. We amalgamate the KOCR, and the SALH under one brand lets call it 41 Armoured Regiment. Each unit will retain its identity as a sub unit, but with one CO, one HQ, less fat, easier to coordinate training and exercises.

That seems to be the answer this thread keeps circling back to.  Regiment-neutral battalions with regimentally aligned sub-units.

MilEME09 said:
Why not do what the brits have been doing? for example lets take 41 CBG just because that is were I am. We amalgamate the KOCR, and the SALH under one brand lets call it 41 Armoured Regiment. Each unit will retain its identity as a sub unit, but with one CO, one HQ, less fat, easier to coordinate training and exercises.

Problem is: You are using logic.  You know darn well what that means.

George Wallace said:
Problem is: You are using logic.  You know darn well what that means.

This is what proponents of Reserve reform have been saying for ages!  Which as you say George, is exactly why it won't happen.

Hamish Seggie said:

Why indeed....there used to be four Infantry Regiments in Winnipeg  ;D

Can the "Regiment" be civilianized?  Instead of the Regiment being a military construct can the emphasis be shifted to the Regimental Association?

The role of the Regimental Association would be that of a Social Club attracting members of the local community. Their military purpose would be to maintain the local profile of the Canadian Army in general and to ensure/promote a steady stream of volunteers to man one of the subunits of the Territorial Battalion Groups.  Serving members would be members of the Regimental Association but would not be actively involved, at least not on the Government's time, with Association duties. 

Jus' thinkin' (again)  ???

Kirkhill said:
Can the "Regiment" be civilianized?  Instead of the Regiment being a military construct can the emphasis be shifted to the Regimental Association?

The role of the Regimental Association would be that of a Social Club attracting members of the local community. Their military purpose would be to maintain the local profile of the Canadian Army in general and to ensure/promote a steady stream of volunteers to man one of the subunits of the Territorial Battalion Groups.  Serving members would be members of the Regimental Association but would not be actively involved, at least not on the Government's time, with Association duties. 

Jus' thinkin' (again)  ???

I have my doubts that any Regimental Association would dream of ever becoming like the Legion and allowing for their organization to be overly populated by civilians with no Regimental ties.

MCG said:
That seems to be the answer this thread keeps circling back to.  Regiment-neutral battalions with regimentally aligned sub-units.

The alternative being give us a budget, and reform the recruiting group to get more butts in the door to bring us to the size to require a "regiment" let alone a division

MilEME09 said:
The alternative being give us a budget, and reform the recruiting group to get more butts in the door to bring us to the size to require a "regiment" let alone a division

Not going to happen as that would come at the expense of the Regular Force. 

Back