• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

disgruntled police officers have led me to re-think my view of the police..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future Prodigy

Inactive
Reaction score
I used to want to become a police officer but after discussion with several officers i have become disillusioned. They pointed out that when they joined, they had lofty ideals of bettering society/the community through protecting its people and values. However, everyone of them claimed this later faded away and they only stayed due to such factors as pay, benefits, etc.

Some of their reasoning for changing their mindset came down to seeing police work in the light of being a band aid solution - a couple of the officers had even quit and become social workers because of this. They said that they never really resolved anything through policing and that other means were needed in order to resolve the underlying problems. On top of this, the mundane activities of busting civilians for speeding, petty theft, and school kids for marijuana possession, seemed trivial and to accomplish nothing.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on this matter?

I've got a few friends in various forces who've given a wide variety of views on that topic.  Awhile ago I met a woman from the RNfld Constabulary.  Here's her view...

Article

I think I could understand the frustration of a LEO in Canada, but it is really just a guess.  I cannot fathom why anyone would want to subject themselves to the scrutiny of the merciless media, any wonk with a cell phone camera or other idiot with an agenda against the police.  To do the kind of work they do is a calling, to see the darker side of humanity day in and day out, well, I have the utmost respect for them. 

Until revolving door justice is terminated, their job will remain tough. 

Until the media puts the blame on police chases where it belongs..... on the idiot moron jerk-butt (I strain to be polite here) who caused the chase, things won't improve.

My heroes are not hockey players or other celebrities, they are the Police, Firefighters, Paramedics and the like, yet I wonder how much more they (collectively) can take from an often ungrateful society. 

My 2% of a Loonie.

Your questions seem to have the same flavour - questioning motivation and then seeking factual logical input... in another situation you would be regarded as a 'agent provocateur'...

Greymatters said:
Your questions seem to have the same flavour - questioning motivation and then seeking factual logical input... in another situation you would be regarded as a 'agent provocateur'...

Agreed. Shades of deja vu to his other thread.

Yes, cause they have a similar logic to them! For example, one author i have been reading is Kabat-Zinn, the founder of the MBSR clinic, and he talks about having left the forces due to these above issues. You seem to claim it a coincidence that i raise these topics!? It is nothing beyond a coincidence, like i said i am graduating this year... and anyone who went to university will know/can attest to this... that when you graduate you are in a state of, "what now?" and these sorts of career questions are on my mind. So, like i said in the other thread if you have nothing to input, don't hit the post button!

Do a search with his name, he used the same methdology on a religious website end of last year...  

Future Prodigy said:
They said that they never really resolved anything through policing and that other means were needed in order to resolve the underlying problems. On top of this, the mundane activities of busting civilians for speeding, petty theft, and school kids for marijuana possession, seemed trivial and to accomplish nothing.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on this matter?

You mean kind of like how Supply Techs and the CF can not solve the Boot problem?? That the government actualy needs to do it's bit?

Like enact laws that actually serve as deterrants? That actually hold those perps going through the revolving doors of our Justice system ACCOUNTABLE for their actions (even ~gasp~ youth who DO damn well know better, but don't care because they CAN get away with it & see it "disappear" when they become of age??)? Make laws with teeth?? Yikes --- actually make a person responsible for their actions instead of making excuses for them?? And, that society in general needs to stop making excuses for them too?

I guess I can see why LEOs would become disheartened --- actually, it seems quite obvious to me.

Greymatters said:
Do a search with his name, he used the same methdology on a religious website end of last year... 

Catholic Answers (roman catholic) or Liongate (buddhism)!? As a religion and culture major i frequent many religious forums and engage in a number of debates. What methodology are you implying!? I think you are extremely out of line bringing in posts i have made at another forum considering you know nothing of the atmosphere! Catholic answers is renowned for being ultra conservative... why dont you go over there and read a little, i bit you will be highly offended by a lot of views taken there. So, please do not bring up outside sources that have no relevance to the issue at hand.

You have done nothing but hijack my thread, which i have attempted to ask a serious question. So, please out of respect for the integrity of this online discussion board leave this thread alone! I have already been warned for verbally retaliating to such responses as ones like these... so, i will try to be civil.

I would like this issue (police_ to be further discussed. I have stated one source and can give many more. I am interested in this issue, as i have stated in both of my recent threads that i am interested in alleviating suffering, and bettering the world (whatever form that may take)... and some of the outlets for this i have considered are the 9-1-1 fields and teaching (i can give you links to teaching forums where i am asking the same questions there, these being the validity of teaching in view of my beliefs). I think it rather redundant to simply dismiss my questions as having an agenda, when i honestly am asking for answers!

it seems you keep getting offended at the slightest criticism when I am simply looking for discussion. I am in a existential crisis of sorts, whereby i am tryin to find my calling in life... and i have many questions before embarking on that adventure!

why has this thread been moved from the 'police' section to a forum for idle chatter?! This makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!

Future Prodigy said:
why has this thread been moved from the 'police' section to a forum for idle chatter?! This makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!

What difference does it make where the thread resides?

Yes you had a spat with the mods but I think you are looking for a fight.
You might want to log off for the evening before you find that fight.

Future Prodigy said:
it seems you keep getting offended at the slightest criticism when I am simply looking for discussion. I am in a existential crisis of sorts, whereby i am tryin to find my calling in life... and i have many questions before embarking on that adventure!

You and every other university student. So why do you think we can offer you any more then anyone else? We may offer you our insights and positions, but you are the one that must act on what you believe is right or wrong. Debating it with us means nothing.

While you've heard the opinions of allot of the disgruntled ones, have you gone out and attempt to speak to members who are NOT disgruntled? What happened to learning to accept and form an informed opinion from BOTH sides of the fence? I've heard from members who hate the job and are doing it just because they don't know what else to do, guess what they make the worse members. I've heard from members who are passionate about the job, and although is frustrated at the system, still believes in what they do. What they are doing is helping people. One person at a time.

Having worked with both, I will chose to work with the ones who are passionate but frustrated over those who don't want to be there. Those who seek an alternate method of helping people in the system, it's their choice and whether it is because they've been disgruntled by the system or not, they would've eventually found their way to the place they are at the moment anyways.

You seem to want to do allot of things. Why don't you STOP thinking about all those and focus on ONE? A jack of all trades, and a master of none.

Future Prodigy said:
Yes, cause they have a similar logic to them! For example, one author i have been reading is Kabat-Zinn, the founder of the MBSR clinic, and he talks about having left the forces due to these above issues. You seem to claim it a coincidence that i raise these topics!? It is nothing beyond a coincidence, like i said i am graduating this year... and anyone who went to university will know/can attest to this... that when you graduate you are in a state of, "what now?" and these sorts of career questions are on my mind. So, like i said in the other thread if you have nothing to input, don't hit the post button!

I believe that someone else in another of "your" threads has already made some suggestions as to possible careers for you.

If you are seeking input into all of these different threads in an attempt to figure out "what now??" --- perhaps I will merge them all into one topic and change the topic title as applicable??

Others have already provided input in this thread as well as to why some LEOs would possibly feel the way they do. Same as in other threads in which you are involved --- logic is different to all people. As are the basic underlyings of morality and one's ethics.

Perhaps, what you should really be doing in an attempt to figure out where/what/how your own ethics and morality fall in the grand scheme of things and in the cause of determining an occupation which will result in "the greatest good for the greatest numbers", you should be visiting sites dealing with teleology (where I suspect you fall), deontology, etc. Emannual Kant may even have a bit of insight for you. Perhaps a good read of Social Contract may be in order.

You seem to be seeking answers about 'humanity', morals, ethics et al.

We're all different. You are not going to get a straight answer here that will serve your purpose. YOU need to figure out what YOU want to do in life and how YOUR skills can best satisfy your desire to improve society. Only you can do that. None of us can ... no matter how many threads you start up seeking those answers (especially so if you are indeed a teleologist <--- you could debate this with even yourself forever).

Future Prodigy said:

I know you already state that you don't want me to post when I have noting to say  :), but I'm answering your question :

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/72341/post-692296.html#msg692296
MOVED: disgruntled police officers have led me to re-think my view of the police..
« le: Hier à 23:07:37 »

This topic has been moved to Radio Chatter where it is better suited.

http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/72332.0

Future Prodigy said:

I can answer that.

Some of the LEO members of this site made a Report to Moderator after seeing how your other topic went, and did not feel that type of behavior belonged in their Forum.  

George Wallace said:
I can answer that.

Some of the LEO members of this site made a Report to Moderator after seeing how your other topic went, and did not feel that type of behavior belonged in their Forum. 

That is rather pathetic on their part then. A person comes seeking answers, having only been told info by disgruntles LEO's and they will not tell me otherwise?

I get this strange attitude from this forum. Anyone who does not conform but asks questions and insights discussion... they are a heretic and must be silenced. I do not understand this logic. Let me give an example of my motives (so i am not misunderstood). I have, as stated, been very active on teaching forums as well... because i believe through education attitudes will change, by bringing issues to light, etc... however i have become disgruntled over the fact that teachers must rigidly stick to the curriculum and have very little room to engage these issues... so my questions have been geared towards that area. I am stirring the water only because i seek answers, not to offend. I do not understand why these posts are taken any other way. Are we that comfortable in our existence that we can not engage such questions legitmately!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back