• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Discrimination

That is not all.

You are on a private forum, which has members who monitor it for the owner.  If you want to have an attitude, and not play nice, you will not remain on this site.  Simple.

KISS

I'd like to see when I haven't played nice.  Up until now, I think I've been pretty straight forward about things.  I came, I asked and I got an outlook that made sense.  The fact that I wasn't into getting smart ass remarks is no reason for you to flaunt your "power" as an admin.  Then to goad me with a kiss?  Sure, you're going to say you meant Keep It Simple Stupid, but we all know better. 

If a soldier had a long list of medical chits I'd personally take it into a big consideration whether I supported a request depending on the nature of the request.

For example if someone spent most of a 4 year period in an infantry battalion bouncing from one medical chit to the other I wouldn't support them applying to be a firefighter, do selection or something else physically demanding.

See, ObedientiaZelum makes sense.  The only thing is I haven't ridden any chits, and never used one to get out of any duties or field ex's which is what I see a LOT of troops do.  If in a 2 year span a troop has been on chit 8 times (no less than a week each) and is deemed to be a chit commando then I guess it is what it is.  My intent was to go to less physically demanding section to potentially use my experience to help them in their infancy. 

You said he's sending you into a section that is going to be dissolved and put into the other sections so isn't there a chance you go there?  Be hopeful, be the best soldier you can be for yourself and someday you'll get the kickass jammy taskings that you wanted.

That thought crossed my mind, but it seems like an extra amount of effort and paperwork to accomplish the same thing.  I guess if it made sense, it wouldn't be the army right? 

golgo1313 said:
I'd like to see when I haven't played nice.  Up until now, I think I've been pretty straight forward about things.  I came, I asked and I got an outlook that made sense.  The fact that I wasn't into getting smart ass remarks is no reason for you to flaunt your "power" as an admin.  Then to goad me with a kiss?  Sure, you're going to say you meant Keep It Simple Stupid, but we all know better. 

See, ObedientiaZelum makes sense.  The only thing is I haven't ridden any chits, and never used one to get out of any duties or field ex's which is what I see a LOT of troops do.  If in a 2 year span a troop has been on chit 8 times (no less than a week each) and is deemed to be a chit commando then I guess it is what it is.  My intent was to go to less physically demanding section to potentially use my experience to help them in their infancy. 

That thought crossed my mind, but it seems like an extra amount of effort and paperwork to accomplish the same thing.  I guess if it made sense, it wouldn't be the army right?

I'm going to suggest that if you want to get candid points of view, you'll just have to take the good with the bad.

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion. You are far from the first that has come here with this type of problem and you are being treated the same as the rest were.

You're asking people for a judgment or recommendation based solely on your say so. Most everyone here has been around the block more than a few times and knows not to accept the one single side of any story as any sort of proof. They are jaded and rightfully so.

If you want input, good or bad, stop poking people with a stick and arguing your topic off on a tangent with bitching and moaning about being corrected. Simply ignore the bad advice, about your problem, and discuss what you think is valid.

Stick to your complaint and stop the  :argument:

Calling it Discrimination is not appropriate I am certain.  The Sergeant Major has his priorities.  Just because you didn't get the choice you wanted doesn't mean he's not taken your choice into consideration.  It just means he said no.

golgo1313 said:
I wasnt looking for the answer I wanted.  I was looking for an answer.  I understand the other perspective.  Just asking about whether or not a chit history can be used against a healthy troop by an SSM. 

You are asking the question wrong, which makes me think you don't really understand the nature of the job and the responsibilities your CofC have to their HHQ.

Let me change it a little for it to make sense:

golgo1313 said:
I wasnt looking for the answer I wanted.  I was looking for an answer.  I understand the other perspective.  Just asking about whether or not a chit history can be used against a healthy troop considered by an SSM when he has to decide what recommendations to make to the CofC about the most suitable place to put a soldier, and taking into consideration the input of others such as Troop/Platoon Leaders and WOs, etc in order to ensure his/her Sqn/Coy/etc  is ready to do the job it is expected to do.

The answer, of course, is yes a SSM should consider these things.  It is not punishment. 

You can always ask your Union Rep if that is okay and in line with our Collective Bargaining Agreement.  Oh wait; we don't have those in the CAF.

When this week started, I was on Crew X.  At the end of this week, I am on Crew Y.  The Sqn MWO for my trade didn't call me to ask my opinion, I just spoke quickly to my new Lead about a few little things and carried on after finding out.  Nature of the beast.

:2c:

I can almost guarantee that every single person that has posted on this thread has been disappointed at one time or another by not getting a sweet gig in their unit or a posting they desperately wanted.  It's always a bummer, it's (almost) never personal, just the nature of the big green man eating machine.

Have to agree with the others.  People in bigger shoes look at bigger pictures.  I went through BMQ and DP1 to be an infanteer.  Myself  and many others eventually got moved over to transport for our deployment to Afghanistan.  None of us were very happy about it, if we wanted to drive a truck we would have enlisted as an MSE OP.  There were different reasons for different people.  Essentially it came down to (as was explained to us), they wanted people they could rely on to do their jobs with minimal supervision, and if something happened like an IED strike, or a TIC, as infantry, we would know how to react. 

Looking back at it now, I couldn't have asked for a better place to be.  Everyone got along.  We were left alone to do our own thing.  Our chain of command was virtually invisible, as they were in KAF while we were out supporting others in PB's and FOB's.  I only saw our platoon commander three times during the 7 months.  Platoon WO, once.

stealthylizard said:
Myself  and many others eventually got moved over to transport for our deployment to Afghanistan.  None of us were very happy about it,

Try going from being told your're slated for a spot as a door gunner to doing convoy security ;)

Has it occurred to you (the OP) there may be a better, more qualified candidate for the job? For example, lets say there is someone who has the exact same history as you, PER rankings, TI, courses, tours, etc... but they haven't been on a chit 8 times in two years? (Which, in my opinion only, seems like a lot).

If you were your SSM, and with true objectiveness looked at the above scenario, wouldn't you pick the guy without +/- 8 weeks out of the preceding 2 years on medical restrictions?

I would apologize for your feeling you have been hard done by, but I don't actually feel you deserve one. Sometimes you are simply the victim of circumstance outside of anyone's control.

Like if someone got hit by an asteroid. No one blames the person, or, for that matter, the asteroid.

You are pretty scant with the details ( and depending on the chits, and your unit, perhaps rightfully so) but unless new information arises, I have a hard time seeing how anyone  here will agree with you, especially after the attitude you have chosen to display towards other posters. Most of whom have a metric ton(ne?) of experience in the CF, and some of whom who have been Sergeant Majors and RSMs and the like. 

My 2 cents.

golgo,  I think your points are very legit.
Maybe, just maybe, you are too good at what you do. "They" do not want you to move from that position to something new.
If that is the case you will never get career opportunities like other do. Forget about being offered any courses, second language training, postings, etc. etc.  You will see others going through the system enjoying all that there is to be 'recognized' and you will be doing the job that you are very good at.  :salute:
Cheers and Pro Deo et Patria.

golgo1313 said:
It is not. I read your entire post.  Its the only thing I felt warranted a comment.

...as opposed to saying, "I can see you point on several things you mentioned, but I don't think picking apart my spelling was warranted."  Otherwise, you come across as ignoring all the valid points Journeyman had, and just whining about having improper spelling being pointed out.

Perhaps you should have been clearer in your opening query, and said, "I only want to hear answers that support/reinforce my position that I was being discriminated against."

Regards
G2G

Back