• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Director of photography killed, movie director injured after Alec Baldwin discharged prop firearm

I thought it was a weak case to start with brought on by a sense of, we can't let the big guy get away with it.

Sometimes the fact of the matter is that it is just the little guy's fault.

🍻
At the end of the day he was holding the gun.
The gun went off, and was determined that it would not go off by itself…

I really don’t see how that’s a weak case.

Plenty other folks have been convicted on less.

At the end of the day he was holding the gun.
The gun went off, and was determined that it would not go off by itself…

I really don’t see how that’s a weak case.

Plenty other folks have been convicted on less.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Sometimes an accident is just an accident.

🍻

Deleted - strangely a duplicate post :unsure:

Last edited:
Well, I suppose at least "they" might add an occupational standard (crews, actors, and whatnot) requiring anyone handling a firearm to clear it first, such that failure to meet the standard would constitute criminal negligence.
Like anyone else is held to…

Looks like there may be more to the story and that things may not be done yet:

🍻
Hmmm not yet off the hook. Plus there may be civil lawsuits in the wings and the bar of proof is much lower then.

After the news of the charges being dismissed broke, a statement from the New Mexico special prosecutors overseeing the case in the “Rust” shooting cited “new facts,” and that they could not “proceed under the current time constraints and on the facts and evidence turned over by law enforcement in its existing form.”

“We therefore will be dismissing the involuntary manslaughter charges against Mr. Baldwin to conduct further investigation,” the prosecutors said in their statement, adding, “This decision does not absolve Mr. Baldwin of criminal culpability and charges may be refiled.”

Looks like there may be more to the story and that things may not be done yet:

🍻
Having been to the Ballistics Reaearch Lab lab the FBI DS has, and knowing some the agents that work in it, I’m very curious to the statement.
The guy running it is as straight and arrow as they come, and if his team reviewed it, and said it wasn’t possible to fire without the trigger being pressed, after the accident, I’d take that to the bank.

Of course the question is did the FBI sent it to Defensive Systems to be tested, or did the local Field Office look at it and say ‘that isn’t supposed to happen’ (it’s not supposed to be done that way- but has on occasion).

I’m curious as to what the new ‘facts’ are.

Double action revolver pulls on a classic western revolver might have been to heavy for most actors and the trigger pull weight may have been reduced or the action polished, perhaps to much that would allow the hammer to release in single action?

Double action revolver pulls on a classic western revolver might have been to heavy for most actors and the trigger pull weight may have been reduced or the action polished, perhaps to much that would allow the hammer to release in single action?
It would be a single action, as they require being cocked before fired. But most of the older guns could be dropped with being fired due to the amount of sear engagement between the trigger and hammer.

DA revolvers generally came about after the cowboy days, with Colt in 1877, and Smith and Wesson in 1880.
Not to say there where using one there, but based on some of the earlier comments about needing to cock the hammer, I had figured it was a single action.

It would be a single action, as they require being cocked before fired. But most of the older guns could be dropped with being fired due to the amount of sear engagement between the trigger and hammer.

DA revolvers generally came about after the cowboy days, with Colt in 1877, and Smith and Wesson in 1880.
Not to say there where using one there, but based on some of the earlier comments about needing to cock the hammer, I had figured it was a single action.
Pretty much as long as there have been revolvers There been some form of double action mechanism. Although they seem to have been mostly European in origin. And pretty delicate as well.
But by and large the Americans seemed to have stuck with the single action system until the late 1870's -1880's .
Many years ago I saw a 20th century Colt SAA in .22 LR accidentally discharge after falling on the ground. Scared the hell out of me as something went passed by my left ear at a high rate of knots with a crack .
If you modified your trigger pull you really had to known what you were doing . Remember a gunsmith who said he hated two things in life, modified Colt SAA trigger groups and the people who modified Colt SAA trigger groups.

If you modified your trigger pull you really had to known what you were doing . Remember a gunsmith who said he hated two things in life, modified Colt SAA trigger groups and the people who modified Colt SAA trigger groups.
The problem far too often is that ‘gunsmiths’ don’t understand what they are doing and instead of just polishing the mating surfaces, they file them down removing material, so instead of a smoother and fairly insignificantly lighter pull (but it feels lighter), you get a dramatically lighter and potentially dangerous trigger pull.

Anyone trying to lighten a SAA type pistol’s trigger pull is IMHO a fool.

Update

22 June, 2023

'Rust' weapons supervisor charged with dumping drugs on day of Alec Baldwin shooting​

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed “did transfer narcotics to another person with the intent to prevent the apprehension, prosecution or conviction of herself.” the special prosecutors appointed in the case said in a Santa Fe County court filing.

Back