• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Did you bring any bad habits/attitudes from the Reserves to the Regs!

NCRCrow

Inactive
Reaction score
The question/discussion is prior service in the Reserves give you some bad habits or attitudes to the Reg Force?

Is the reserves a good OJT for a career in the regs?

Crow

OK, I'll bite.

I transferred from the Reserves to the Regular Force after seven years Reserve service.  I had always intended to go Regular Force, but the early and mid-nineties were odd times from a recruiting perspective.

I went from Capt to 2Lt in an instant (cool parade) and after some OJT at the Regt was off to the School to take Ph III (Leopard).  I then went to the Regt as a Tp Ldr.  I think that this was a good thing as it let me come in at the ground floor.  Transfering in directly (bypassing all training) can be difficult for the individual and I don't think that it does them any favours.  I'd have done more training if the choice had been up to me, but I think that in the end a good balance was struck.

You can bring bad habits but it is up to the individual to recognize these and correct them (perhaps with some guidance).  If you are adaptable then you'll adapt.  I believe that going into the training system before reaching the unit helps with this process.

My advice for a Reservist with any Reg F aspirations is to make sure that you don't burn any bridges ahead of you (as well as behind you).  In addition, I figure that the earlier you do the process the better.

Cheers,

2B

I think any extra knowledge you can bring into the reg force is a good thing. Not all that is learned in the reserves is bad stuff that has to be 'unlearned.' I've seen reg force units that have the philosophy that they have to reteach newbies who come off reg force basic and trades trg and break them from the habits learned there.

The biggest thing will be the attitude of the individual transferring. Never offer your learned reserve opinion to the reg force ds who is teaching your class  ;D During my botc in Chilliwack we had a reg force sgt tell us that a km was close to but not exactly 1000m and you read a map 'up the stairs and in the door' instead of the other way. After a couple of former reservists looked at each other and went  ???, she quickly realized her mistake and corrected herself. No harm, no foul, no one pissed off.

On the other hand, if you know something, don't hesitate to help fellow course mates who may be fresh off the street. Don't come across as a wise ass know it all but as someone who really wants to help them pick things up faster and make life easier for them.

you'll find that most soldiers going thru component transfers are good troops that will be well versed in the basic soldier skills without necessarily having real in depth practical experience with all the advanced kit that regs use each day & reservists only see once in a blue moon.

The learning curve to bring these troops up to speed is mastered a lot faster than the newbie coming off the street

BUT - it's a matter of attitude. Know it alls have a tendencyu of getting on everyone's nerves real quick.......... IMHO

The reason I started the thread was because I found that I was the biggest bag of sh_t in the reserves.

I thought I had done and seen it all as a class B warrior.(eh Former Horse Guard)

I was offered a direct entry transfer based on Rank only (R031 to 031). My father who was a wise CSM at the time, made me go to Cornwallis. It was the best thing I had ever done.

I was overweight and had adopted some real bad habits. I needed a real good shake up.

Cornwallis!

Do I blame the Reserves, nah. It was a good go, sometimes too good. I just got caught in the class B time warp. Which it seems impossible to get out of.

And I ended in the Navy, no regrets. But the reserves can be a real easy trap.

ahhhhh..... the Callout bum thing.
depends - lots of oportunities for deployment nowdays.... but you have to be fit to fight.

Back