• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Did anyone say bacon? :D

Just sayin... at McDonald's for 79 cents.. you can add bacon to anything. McFlurry.... and bacon. Oh yes.... oh yes.

You are welcome.

Macey said:
Just sayin... at McDonald's for 79 cents.. you can add bacon to anything. McFlurry.... and bacon. Oh yes.... oh yes.

You are welcome.

What's wrong with you...ask for chicken, everyone knows they use to put chicken feathers in the milkshakes...

What's wrong with me.... well it all started when I was born...

I was born with a baconator in my mouth, and they wern't invented yet. LOL Scoty B
now how bout some tall tale's Re: Bacon.

Globe and Mail.ca Link [Video]

With the summer BBQ opportunities around us, I am not surprised to find this option sprouting up:

Attached is a screen capture of the video:
bacon.jpg

ModlrMike said:
These are described as Newfoundland Turtle Burgers:

Ground beef patty covered with a bacon weave and hot dogs for limbs.

I don't care what they're called, I want one!

That looks awesome - has anyone here ever actually tried one?

Greymatters said:
That looks awesome - has anyone here ever actually tried one?
Yes!  I have had them a time or two on ship.  They were as good as they sound.  :nod:

Rifleman62 said:
Bacon....

That's probably enough bacon to feed a crew of 50...maybe a lot less if it's more than 3 slices per person. I did try to be generous on the steam line to those who were nice to me and were not lazy when it was their turn in the scullery. That is if I didn't get jacked by the Buffer or PO for over serving.

Might want to get your fill of ham this year, because "a world shortage of pork and bacon next year is now unavoidable," according to a (British) industry trade group.

Blame the drought conditions that blazed through the corn and soybean crop this year. Less feed led to herds declining across the European Union “at a significant rate,” according to the National Pig Assn. in Britain.

And the trend “is being mirrored around the world,” according to a release (hat tip to the Financial Times).

In the second half of next year, the number of slaughtered pigs could fall 10%, doubling the price of European pork, according to the release.

The trade group urged supermarkets to pay pig farmers a fair price for the meat to help cover the drought-related losses.

In U.S. warehouses, pork supply soared to a record last month, rising 31% to 580.8 million pounds at the end of August from a year earlier, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The surge came as farmers scaled down their herds as feeding the animals became increasingly expensive ....
Chicago Tribune, 24 Sept 12

From a 7 Sept 12 news release from the U.K's National Pig Association:
The world’s pig farmers are warning of a shortage of bacon and pork next year because pig-feed has become unaffordable following disastrous growing and harvesting weather. Governments are becoming increasingly concerned.

British shoppers are being urged to make a special effort to safeguard supplies of British bacon and pork by only buying packs carrying British farming's own Red Tractor logo.

Around the world, pig farmers are selling their herds because they can no longer afford to feed their pigs. In the United States the government has introduced a pork-buying programme in a bid to keep its pig farmers in business. And the Chinese government is putting pork into cold storage, as a buffer against shortages and high prices next year.

Pig industry leaders from across the European Union met in London on Friday to explore ways to ensure pork remains the world’s most affordable red meat. They reported that pig herds are being sold because prices are not rising fast enough in supermarkets to cover the cost of record-high pig-feed costs.

'It usually takes at least six months for higher production costs to filter through to shop prices — but pig farmers simply haven't got that long,' said National Pig Association chairman Richard Longthorp, who farms outdoor pigs in Yorkshire. 'Some have got only a few weeks left before they run out of credit at the bank and have to sell up, and this is happening all over Europe.'

Britain's pig farmers are asking shoppers to help save British pork and bacon, which is widely acclaimed for its taste and quality, by always looking for the British Red Tractor logo ....
This, and a more recent Brit "save our bacon" news release attached.

Here in Canada, no such dire warnings (at this point), but concern nonetheless - this from the Canadian Pork Council....
Canadian pork producers are worried that ethanol policies and low crop yields in the United States due to drought conditions are causing grain prices to soar to a point where it is not economical to raise pigs in Canada. The current feed situation and lack of carry over stock from last year’s crop supports the argument that it is necessary to reduce grain usage for ethanol and to consider the amounts of grain essential for feeding livestock that is used to feed people.

“Grain is by far the largest cost component of raising pigs” stated Candian Pork Council’s Chair Jean Guy Vincent, “and marketplace realities are such that pork producers cannot simply pass along added costs to buyers.  Margins become squeezed and producers need to either absorb heavy losses or, unfortunately, get out of business.” ....

I've always said if you add cheese and/or bacon to anything it improves it by a factor of 10.

Case in point, my wife likes to experiment with her cooking, so one day she fried up some bacon.  She then put the cooked bacon all chopped up in waffle batter and cooked it up.  The taste was superb!

If pork prices are going up I will have to save the pennies as bacon is a staple in my household.

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2012/09/25/bacon-shortage-unavoidable-pork-group-cautions
Bacon shortage 'unavoidable,' pork group cautions
QMI Agency

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:14:40 EDT PM

Bacon lovers, beware. A worldwide shortage of pork and bacon could happen next year, a British trade group warns.

Using language sure to spark hysteria among fans of the other white meat, Britain's National Pig Association said a world shortage of pork and bacon "is now unavoidable."

"New data shows the European Union pig herd is declining at a significant rate, and this is a trend that is being mirrored around the world," the release says. "Pig farmers have been plunged into loss by high pig-feed costs, caused by the global failure of maize and soya harvests."

The association believes that the number of pigs slaughtered in the second half of next year could fall by as much as 10%.

It's asking British grocers to pay pig farmers "a fair price" and encouraging British consumers to choose British pork and bacon in an attempt to stave off the shortage.

A severe drought in the U.S. has ravaged crops, sending the price of grain soaring and edging hog farmers in North America into losses.

Big Sky Farms, Canada's second-biggest hog farm operation based in Saskatchewan, went into receivership earlier this month, and Puratone, a Manitoba-based major hog farmer, received protection from creditors two weeks ago.

But there is a glimmer of hope for bacon lovers -- not all pork producers are forecasting doom and gloom. Maple Leaf Foods, the second-largest processor of pork in Canada, says that although it, too, expects hog supplies to shrink in 2013, the decrease in numbers should be modest.

"Obviously, the challenge that we currently face is producers are exiting the business," Jason Manness, director of procurement at Maple Leaf Foods, told Reuters this month. "We expect less hogs in 2013, but only marginally lower at this point in time."

-- with files from Reuters

Ah! Economics in action:

As producers of pork vacate the field because they are not making money, price of bacon will rise as a result of the shortage in supply, leading to a price increase that will raise the profit margins of remaining producers, until those profit margins are just too tempting, causing more new producers to enter the market and raising production, flooding the supermarkets and creating pressure to lower the price, resulting in lower margins and even some producers not making any money and electing to leave the market, raising prices ....

-Skeletor- said:
http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2012/09/25/bacon-shortage-unavoidable-pork-group-cautions

It's a radical Islamic plot to destroy morale amongst their greatest foes: western white guys!

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Ah! Economics in action:

As producers of pork vacate the field because they are not making money, price of bacon will rise as a result of the shortage in supply, leading to a price increase that will raise the profit margins of remaining producers, until those profit margins are just too tempting, causing more new producers to enter the market and raising production, flooding the supermarkets and creating pressure to lower the price, resulting in lower margins and even some producers not making any money and electing to leave the market, raising prices ....
Got it in one!
.... A British trade organization called the National Pig Association of the United Kingdom, predicted a bacon shortage and the following day, every U.S. News organization reported the shortage with words like “unavoidable” and “bacon-worship challenged”. The truth is that the drought in the U.S. has reduced the corn per acre, thereby making corn more expensive. When the price of corn rises, the cost to feed animals rises.

This affects the price of meat in different ways in the short, medium and long terms. Most cows and pigs are “finished” in feedlots where operators buy yearlings to fatten them up and bring to market. As the cost of feedstock rises, the value of yearlings falls, since it costs more to raise the animal to slaughter. Less profit in the future reduces the price feedlot operators will pay for the yearlings. So in the short-term, an above average number of animals are prematurely slaughtered which creates an over-supply of cheap meat.

In the medium-term, however, this process leaves the market with fewer animals in the future, hence a “bacon shortage”. This shortage drives up the price, reducing demand. In the long-term, 12-18 months, increased price signals farmers to produce more yearlings as the higher price will justify higher feed costs. Higher feed cost, creates more corn planting, bringing more corn to market to satisfy demand and two years from now, all is “normal” again. This is market capitalism at work ....
cincinnati.com, 2 Oct 12

Whew!

Shades of Dr. Strangelove:

"Mr. President, we must not allow a bacon gap!"

What did we take away from this boys and girls?

"an above average number of animals are prematurely slaughtered which creates an over-supply of cheap meat."

Load your freezers on the cheap while you can!!! 

Back