• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Did anyone say bacon? :D

.... as a gift idea?
So good, you’ll want to gift one and keep two for yourself! Top-quality bacon is rendered down, mixed with onion and spices, and simmered for about six hours to bring out the wonderful flavors. It’s then pureed, blast chilled and ready to spread.

We like to put it on our burgers, serve it on crostini, spread on grilled cheese, add as a substitute for bacon on a BLT, and mix with cream cheese for bagels. For an extra treat, mix in with your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. The possibilities are endless.
More here.

milnews.ca said:
.... as a gift idea?

Why not?  PC recently introduced it's new Black Label line including Bacon Marmalade Spread
3.gif

Hoo ray!

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1668916/pasta-not-bacon-makes-you-fat-but-how

Maybe bacon can help....
A new medical study recommends a method called "nasal packing with strips of cured pork" as an effective way to treat uncontrollable nosebleeds.

Ian Humphreys, Sonal Saraiya, Walter Belenky and James Dworkin, at Detroit Medical Centre in Michigan, treated a girl who had a rare hereditary disorder that brings prolongued bleeding. Publishing in the Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, they pack the essential details into two sentences:

"Cured salted pork crafted as a nasal tampon and packed within the nasal vaults successfully stopped nasal hemorrhage promptly, effectively, and without sequelae … To our knowledge, this represents the first description of nasal packing with strips of cured pork for treatment of life-threatening hemorrhage in a patient with Glanzmann thrombasthenia."

They acknowledge a long tradition of using pork to treat general epistaxis, ie nosebleed. The technique fell into disuse, they speculate, because "packing with salt pork was fraught with bacterial and parasitic complications. As newer synthetic hemostatic agents and surgical techniques evolved, the use of packing with salt pork diminished." ....
The Guardian, 23 Jan 12

From the medical journal article:
Objectives: Glanzmann thrombasthenia is a rare disorder of platelet function that may result in life-threatening hemorrhage, particularly from the nasal vaults. Various medical therapies (such as recombinant factor VII, antifibrinolytic agents, and blood transfusions) and surgical therapies (such as nasal packing, electrocautery, laser coagulation, septoplasty, and embolization) have been described with various degrees of success.

Methods: We present a unique case report of a 4-year-old child with known Glanzmann thrombasthenia and two separate episodes of life-threatening epistaxis that were treated successfully by nasal packing with strips of cured pork because of special circumstances.

Results: Cured salted pork crafted as a nasal tampon and packed within the nasal vaults successfully stopped nasal hemorrhage promptly, effectively, and without sequelae. In both applications, the patient had complete cessation of nasal bleeding within 24 hours, and was discharged within 72 hours after treatment.

Conclusions: To our knowledge, this represents the first description of nasal packing with strips of cured pork for treatment of life-threatening hemorrhage in a patient with Glanzmann thrombasthenia.

Should you ever find yourself in San Francisco...

http://www.boccalone.com/

Not bacon, but it is tasty salted pig parts.

These are described as Newfoundland Turtle Burgers:

406570_356342871057165_115904125101042_1344042_1957896822_n.jpg

Ground beef patty covered with a bacon weave and hot dogs for limbs.

I don't care what they're called, I want one!

The health freaks are hiring lawyers as wee speak to block the sale of turtle burgers! Joking! Or maybe not..... ;)

Was at a Chocolate Festival last weekend in Glendale,AZ. Tried the scrumptious chocolate coated bacon. Dark chocolate tasted better than the milk chocolate. Sweet with a touch of salty.

See below. Just don't eat anything from Jack IMHO.

Bacon milkshake? Yes, from Jack in the Box.

http://www.wect.com/story/16897622/bacon-milkshake-yes-from-jack-in-the-box
Updated: Feb 11, 2012 9:00 AM MST

The bacon milkshake is as indulgent as you would expect a bacon milkshake to be. (©iStockphoto/Thinkstock) The bacon milkshake is as indulgent as you would expect a bacon milkshake to be. (©iStockphoto/Thinkstock)

By Schuyler Velasco

If conventional wisdom says that bacon makes everything better, then Jack in the Box may finally have discovered the exception: the bacon milkshake.

"It's for real. Bacon Shake," reads an ad from the San Diego-based fast food burger chain. "Ask for it today."

The public reaction so far has been largely negative, but taste isn't really the point. The bacon shake is the latest in a long line of fast food fare so outrageous that they serve mainly to draw attention to the fast food chain as a whole, rather than as a serious menu item. Take KFC's "Double Down" sandwich from 2010 (the one with fried chicken breasts as the "bread"), or the perennial resurgence of the McDonald's McRib.

The latest porky dairy treat is a part of Jack in the Box's new ad campaign, which asks the question: If you like bacon so much, why don't you marry it?

The bacon milkshake may actually be the least disturbing part of the campaign: A trip to the restaurant's marrybacon.com website will treat you to a video of a guy literally marrying a bacon cheeseburger. While there, you can also "make your own bacon baby" -- upload a headshot of yourself, and your facial features will be superimposed onto a strip of bacon which will then be added to a baby's body. (If it sounds icky, that's because it is).

But back to everything you need to know about the bacon milkshake. It's as indulgent as you would expect a bacon milkshake to be: the regular, 16-ounce size has 773 calories, 40 grams of fat, and 75 grams of sugar. The 24-ounce size has 54 grams of fat and 1,081 calories (to put that in perspective, the recommended daily caloric intake for an average-size woman is 2,000 calories). If you're keeping kosher or vegetarian, you're in luck: The shake is made with bacon-flavored syrup, rather than the genuine article.

It's available for a time "as limited as limited can be," at participating locations. Jack in the Box has 2,100 stores in 19 states, mostly in the western half of the United States. The shake doesn't appear on the menu; you have to ask for it.

How does it taste? Plenty of brave bacon-shake tasters have weighed in around the Web:

"Wow. That was horrific, " wrote Brock Keeling, a blogger for SFist. "Bad it was. Aggressively so, A heavy, lingering bland with a touch of smoke that doesn't go away. Jack in the Box's Bacon Shake hits the senses like smokey maple syrup."

Noting a lack of true bacon flavor, Edwin Goei at the OC Weekly calls the shake "less a marriage to bacon than a harmless flirtation"

"It's like I'm 90 years old and I have to drink my food," said a man taste-testing the shake on film for CNBC's Jane Wells in a California mall.

Food items like the bacon milkshake are fun in theory, and they get their purveyors into the news for a few days. But in all likelihood, very few people are actually buying a Double Down or the McRib for lunch on a regular basis.

Nor is bacon in dessert anything new. Last year, Denny's introduced a "Maple Bacon Sundae" as part of its "Baconalia" festival; unlike the Jack in the Box shake, it came topped with real bacon. Chocolate candy bars with bacon bits have become an increasingly common sight in many grocery stores, including Whole Foods. A quick Google search unearths scores of recipes for homemade bacon milkshakes, most of them involving maple syrup, ice cream and, well, bacon.

Still, if curiosity gets the best of you, visit jackinthebox.com and type your Zip Code into the store locator to find a Jack in the Box near you.

I did come across a recipie for Bacon Muffins, I was both disgusted and compelled to try it, along with a regular batch of Baking Powder Biscuits and/or Muffins. I know how much you guys love Bacon, but both the Galley Buffer and the P.O. shot me down prior to making it.

Get Nautical said:
I did come across a recipie for Bacon Muffins, I was both disgusted and compelled to try it, along with a regular batch of Baking Powder Biscuits and/or Muffins. I know how much you guys love Bacon, but both the Galley Buffer and the P.O. shot me down prior to making it.

That's only cause they're worried it'll catch on and they'll have to start making them too!

;D

And for the people who ate too much bacon (is there such a thing?):  Bacon casket for dead bacon lovers

The meat-inspired casket comes with a bacon air freshener on the inside and looks like a bacon strip on the outside.

More at link

dynamic_resize

;D

PMedMoe said:
And for the people who ate too much bacon (is there such a thing?):  Bacon casket for dead bacon lovers

The meat-inspired casket comes with a bacon air freshener on the inside and looks like a bacon strip on the outside.

More at link

dynamic_resize

;D

When your rich your not crazy, just eccentric. It's kind of sad that a company that sells bacon products is now selling caskets looking to profit from those dead, possibly from their products.

Back