• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DEU Questions

Go and buy extra DEU accoutrements from a kit shop or a surplus store. They'll only cost a couple bucks. Bring the extras with you when you wear your CF's. Spending 10 bucks can save you from getting a headache if you loose a pin 10 min before a parade or vip detail.

condor888000 said:
Just a guess, you put the line on the inside of the sleeve where the crease is and iron it while making sure it doesn't move. I'm guessing the line would melt to the sleeve and if you did it right, you'd have a crese right where you need one.

PC, am I right? If not, hows it work then?

Yes that is how it works.

trucker00 said:
Are there side affects with the melted plastic (fishing line) and dry cleaning?

I should of mentioned I only did this for my display shirts (short and long sleve) as it gives a permanent crease. I have never tired this on pants. Also 5-10lb test is the best.  You should also have your shirts iron first with the proper creases. Once you have the crease done the fishing line will maintain a permanent crease.  Pants are easy to maintain it's the shirts in those cramped lockers that take a beating and get wrinkled so easliy.

So this melted plastic wont get all messed up if we send it to the dry cleaners right?

foxtwo said:
So this melted plastic wont get all messed up if we send it to the dry cleaners right?

What do you think?  Call the Drycleaners and tell them that you are thinking of idiotically melting a piece of fishing line in your pants and will that matter when you dry clean them?

I used to swear by spit polishing with cold water, even ice cubes. Then my CSM told us to spit polish with hot water. You know what? It was actually a little better. I think it has more to do with fresh polish (a must), and technique than the temp of the water. Of course, that's oxfords and hair sporran leather, but the principle's the same.

As far as ironing goes - how hard is it to iron a decent crease? Yeah it's a pain in the arse sometimes, but a well turned out uniform takes effort, don't fight it.

Park your butt in front of the boob-tube, pop in a dvd or watch your favorite show, and iron, polish leather, and polich brass....in that order. Stop when you can see your smile in your shoes/sporran and no black comes off the brass your BRASSO-ing. De-lint the day of, with a simple brush (or guntape in  a pinch), and voila! Well turned out troopie!

I was told by someone in a militaria store that the new CF buttons are anodized brass, so they are just as real as the old, tarnished ones, but they won't tarnish.  If this is true, bully for us, but if not I will buy some old brass buttons. 

My tip on boot polishing: there are as many ways as there are people with boots: get someone to mentor you on basic and stick with what works.  Also, don't try to argue that your method is the best (as I did on basic) because I have found that even the 2 most radically-different polishing methods can work just as well.

That said, I must point out that the way in which most of the CF builds up their polish (all at once without much wearing) is a pretty awful way and if you somehow have the chance (i.e. get shoes outside of basic), polish the shoes a little every day or so. 

PS. When a time machine is invented, one can always go back to the time of batmen if one is that lazy.

Sailing Instructor said:
PS. When a time machine is invented, one can always go back to the time of batmen if one is that lazy.

That's all fine and dandy for Officers, but not so good for OR's!  ;)

For ironing trousers, here's a sure fire way to keep a permanent crease in them:

Pull each leg inside out and in the spot where you want to have the crease, run a line of tape up and down on both sides of each leg to have creases running up and down the back and front of the trousers. (masking, or painters tape ONLY).  Pull your pant legs rightside out, fold the crease into its place and iron along where the tape is.  After you're done, remove both strips of tape; the adhesive will form the fabric into position.  Even after washing them, the crease will still be there.

You seldom have to repeat this process to maintain the crease(s).  ;D

cold water eh?
maybe that's what I outta try. I mean if anyone has seen my boots, I swear, it's revenge of the freakin cow! those things will NOT shine at all. it's very weird. I'm always so depressed anytime I look at my boots and they've got half the shine as some boys. I swear.
Greg

So, I've got some questions regarding the DEU Army uniform.

One, they come without buttons, if someone is not trade-qualified - what button do they wear and where do they get them?

What does someone who is not trade qualified wear as a collar-dog?

Where are the CBG DEU patches obtained?

Thanks for dealing with my rookie-question!

Well if it's your initial issue (first set of DEU) then you will be issued it by Clothing Stores...who has all the patchs/accoutrements (buttons etc) and the contract to have them tailored onto your uniform.

If it's a new set of DEU you've recd from Logistik Unicorp using your points to replace, take it into your Clothing Stores...who has all the buttons/accoutrements for it and the contract to have them sewn on for you.

Vern

Thanks for the reply, but I am still curious - what collar dogs does someone wear if they are tradeless?

IntlBr said:
Thanks for the reply, but I am still curious - what collar dogs does someone wear if they are tradeless?

I have merged a few threads together for your reading pleasure, and hoped that it would answer your questions without you having to use the SEARCH function. 

As YOU have no Trade, YOU will wear NO Collar Dogs, nor will you wear any Trade Badges.  YOU have not earned any of them yet.

Just a few less things you will have to worry about at this time. 

What would one do if he belonged to a highland regiment that required a different cut of CF jacket than the one offered by Logistik Unicorp? Would I order one and bring it to Clothing Stores to be altered by the tailor, or would I have to take it to a civvy tailor?

Pte D. Krystal said:
What would one do if he belonged to a highland regiment that required a different cut of CF jacket than the one offered by Logistik Unicorp? Would I order one and bring it to Clothing Stores to be altered by the tailor, or would I have to take it to a civvy tailor?

As the Clothing Storesman for the Calgary Highlanders, I can tell you that you would take it to your unit tailor, who will have it cut away, or will exchange it for one that is (we tend to inventory them, as clothing stores at the ASU has no use for them as no one else can wear them). Talk to your chain of command. 

The Logistikorp jackets are no different from the issue ones, and Highland cutaways are made from the standard issue jacket.

According to my retired AF buddy, buffing your boots with pantiehose or nylon stockings bring out a really good shine. Me and my friend have been taking this advice for awhile and the boots look spectacular.

Lakatos said:
According to my retired AF buddy, buffing your boots with pantiehose or nylon stockings bring out a really good shine. Me and my friend have been taking this advice for awhile and the boots look spectacular.

You do know this thread is over 4 years old?

Also, whats with the C/M/Cpl ? The C/ I get, but I've never seen M/Cpl before.. only seen  it abbreviated as MCpl.  It's cool that your proud and want to show off a bit, in your avatar text and signiture block.. but I would recommend removing your name.

Back