• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Detection & Distruction AP&AT mines

W

W0lf

Has there been a safe way of finding and destroying mines? I have a Idea of a machine that could dig and destroy land mines.Could someone please let me know who I could contact,and who would be interested in listening to a different Idea.Thank you.

This would really depend on the nature of your idea. If it is a tactical tool or a humanitarian mine removal tool. There is a non-profit organisation that runs annual competition for the development of humanitarian mine removal designs. I don‘t have its web address at the moment, but I could probably find it if you are intrested.

McG,

I did a search based on your description and came up with this site:

http://www.minesactioncanada.com

Looks like the competition is only open to students enrolled in post secondary education...

The only proven method is human, after the Gulf War they tried using infra red and radar from chopper‘s they worked to a point but it still took the old Spr. on the ground prodding and detecting with a mine detector.

I know some one who is doing mine clearance for a N.G.O. and they are using dog‘s which help‘s but to do the job proper it‘s back to on the belly and prod ,prod.

True enough, but in a post-conflict humanitarian scenario, there is obviously great benefit in clearing as many mines as quickly as possible.

This would leave fewer mines to be triggered by children, shepherds, etc. and fewer for sappers to deal with when they do eventually prove an area safe by prodding.

Any ideas out there that go beyond the standard flails, rollers and plows???

Originally posted by rceme_rat:
[qb] Any ideas out there that go beyond the standard flails, rollers and plows???[/qb]
All of these means are intended for tactical purposes and lack the reliability necesary for humanitarian demining. Plows only move the mines to the side, and all these methodes are prone to "skip zones." They are also poorly suited to deeper buried mines. sufficient for combat purposes (or to prove previous work), they do not meet other needs.

Mike, I belive the link you posted is to the organisation I mentioned. However, they seem to have changed thier look somewhat since I was looking into using thier competition as the basis for my BESc final year project.

Back