• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Designing a Load Bearing System

Fusaki

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
In the next few months I'm going to be looking at purchasing some sort of tactical load bearing system. I have a few ideas in mind, but before I bring them up I'd like some input from some of the folks around here. Here are the requirements:

- It must be as modular as possible, preferably using the MOLLE system.
- It must hold a minimum of 9 Mags easily accessible from both right and left hands.
- It must hold a minumum of 2 frags and one smoke grenade
- It must have an admin pouch(s) for a map, suunto compass, "canadian peacekeeper" style FMP, maglight (maybe tactikka?) and an eTrex Vista C GPS
http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistac/
- It must hold a minimum of 2 ASP Trifold Restraints in "open" position.
http://www.amronintl.com/tactical/products.cfm?id=2066
- It must hold and protect an AN/PVS-14 night vision monocular with dovetail attached and spare AA batteries
- It must have room and easy access to a PRR
- It must have room for the new CF bayonet and frog.
- It must have a mag dump pouch, preferably the kind that can fold away when not in use (like a Maxmedition Rollypoly? http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_rollypoly.htm)
- It must have room for a small First Aid Kit, basically something for a field dressing plus some other odds and sods.
- It must have room for a few glowsticks, plus a few other small things.

Releasable armour is not an issue, since I'd have to wear the issued ballistic system. No need for a RAV, CIRAS, or similar vest. I'm right handed, so I'd need the smoke, grenades, dump pouch, and PRR on my left side. I use an issued CADPAT Camelbak for water, and I'd prefer to wear it like a backpack instead of attaching it to the vest/chest rig, web gear itself. A good spot to clip a helmet would be nice too.

A tall order, eh?

I have a good idea of what I'd need to carry, but have very little experience in comparing the quality of various brands. The ICE Tactical Chest Rig System looks like a good base, and the pouches look well designed, but before I drop the coin I'd like some impartial reviews of the gear (I'm looking at you Matt!!). Don't get me wrong, if the ICE guys want to plug their gear they can post away (I'd appreciate any info on any products) but I just don't know anyone personally who can give be an unbiased opinion. Sounds reasonable, right?

Thats all I have at the moment, any help would be appreciated!!

Check out www.lightfighter.net. They've got a lot of great kit reviews and you'll probably find an answer in no time. Just make sure to post an intro post, fill out your profile, and use the search function BEFORE asking a question.

Cheers,
Pinky

Not a tall order at all. 

Take a look around my site and you'll find that I can provide everything your looking for.

-----> http://www.oneshottactical.com/

I can put a few "package" options together for you to see if there is something that would work best for you.

I'm using a one piece TT MAV with bib and X harness, completely modular, holds 12 mags, has a rolly polly, dropzone utility pouches under the TT large pouches, and both the vest body and the bib has a map pocket. because of the complete modularity, pockets can be added or removed as necessary.

IMGP0612.jpg

IMGP0613.jpg

IMGP0614.jpg

FourNinerZero said:
I'm using a one piece TT MAV with bib and X harness, completely modular, holds 12 mags, has a rolly polly, dropzone utility pouches under the TT large pouches, and both the vest body and the bib has a map pocket. because of the complete modularity, pockets can be added or removed as necessary.

IMGP0612.jpg

IMGP0613.jpg

IMGP0614.jpg
  LOOKS PREDY BUT, IF YOU GO TO GROUND, IT's CRAP

bilton090 said:
   LOOKS PREDY BUT, IF YOU GO TO GROUND, IT's CRAP

Actually, the way it rides it feels more like the old 82 pattern webbing when in the prone. I had no issues using in in the field going prone and crawling around. Felt comfortable, helds lots of stuff, worked well with a ruck and smallpack. My ass was a touch higher elevated, but I had no problems with it. Mags were still easy to get out (much easier than the issued tacvest, although I suspect its half due to position and half due to pouch design)

CPGEAR is coming out w/ a hole new line in arid cadpat. 

9xmags,3xgrenade pouches,c9 pouch,utility pouch,cell phone/gps pouch,compass pouch,first aid/commanders pouch this is all modular systems w/ the modular leg harness,
modular chest rig, modular combat belt, &modular vest.
                          www.cpgear.com

Check out the 2 pcesplint front MAV with X harness from TT. It works quite well.  I belive ICE Tactical makes something similar as well. I know both TT and ICE make in CADPAT as well. If you look around there is quite a selection of CADPAT pouches out there as well. Aside from Drop Zone, and CP there is TT, HSGI, ESSTAC, etc

Panzer Grenadier said:
Hi All,

1st off , I just joined army.ca today (and am currently still doing army reserve training) and glad to be here.  Now to the LBS, I've seen some of  Tiger Tactical's stuff, looks pretty good.

Here's the link to some LBS Stuff --> http://www.tigertactical.com/productlist-03.php
well, son, if you're still going through trainnig, do you really think it's appropriate to offer "advice" on equipment to trained troops, many of whom have a great deal of in-theatre experience?

Might want to slow down a bit.

paracowboy said:
well, son, if you're still going through trainnig, do you really think it's appropriate to offer "advice" on equipment to trained troops, many of whom have a great deal of in-theatre experience?

Might want to slow down a bit.

Hey, Im an eager beaver, what can I say ;) 

Seriously, the Modular approach is best, because throughout a deployment your missions are going to change, you want to be able to change your load / lighten your load, because especially with the ballistics plates and magazines with ammo loaded your LBV gets heavy and alot of the gear on your list, you won't want and don't need, the modular approach quickly allows for you square away your gear,  

And if you don't have experience to put some thought in you load system, your not about to pump out and you are spending your money on gear, then your a Gear Queer,  Spend your time focused on "how to operate" rather than "what to wear"

I'd stick well away from CP gear stuff -- the quality sucks -- they make a nice FMP cover (I have one I got in gagetown in 1988 still) - but everything else is made very flimsy.

The 1 piece MAV takes a bib which adds a bunch of extra PALS spots for MOLLE pouches to go on.

Also the HELLCAT and FALCON stuff from SOTECH has an integral 6 mag pocket that is a nice touch.
Pic borrowed from their website...
FCH_1.gif

Also Eagle Industries MOLLE STYLE RHODESIAN RECON VEST - no experience with it - but I've always been favourably impressed with Eagle's quality.

I have a Falcon as pictured above, the quality is bombproof. Waiting on some John Willis pouches to fit it out with...

IF you get in touch with Dear JOHN - ASK HIM WHAT HE DID WITH THE RAV I SENT HIM IN JAN...

Infidel-6 said:
I'd stick well away from CP gear stuff -- the quality sucks -- they make a nice FMP cover (I have one I got in gagetown in 1988 still) - but everything else is made very flimsy.

The 1 piece MAV takes a bib which adds a bunch of extra PALS spots for MOLLE pouches to go on.

Also the HELLCAT and FALCON stuff from SOTECH has an integral 6 mag pocket that is a nice touch.
Pic borrowed from their website...
FCH_1.gif

Also Eagle Industries MOLLE STYLE RHODESIAN RECON VEST - no experience with it - but I've always been favourably impressed with Eagle's quality.

cpgear is remaking all the kit they have w/ help from Eng's & RCR's, 1988 till now is a long time, the kit is alot better !, atlest Mark Wheeler is talking to the boys to see what we need !

Its not just the design - but the weight of material - thread sewing methods etc.  They need a rigger with a clue about tactical operations IMHO - to oversea the construction of the stuff.

westie47 said:
Check out the 2 pcesplint front MAV with X harness from TT. It works quite well.  I belive ICE Tactical makes something similar as well. I know both TT and ICE make in CADPAT as well. If you look around there is quite a selection of CADPAT pouches out there as well. Aside from Drop Zone, and CP there is TT, HSGI, ESSTAC, etc

TT makes some pouches and such in cadpat, but its a bit harder to find the big ticket items like the MAV vest and such. Thats why I went with the olive setup, as cadpat wasnt availible when I ordered it up, and i can later replace pouches with cadpat ones if I really feel like it.

Edit for spelling

Back