• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Desexualized clothing instructions fail for gender specific directions

I think it's awesome this mom got a response from the minister of national defence before the offending unit in question even responded.  This sounds like a mission for the S.O.R.T.

Coffee_psych said:
This absolutely falls short of what is expected of military personnel.  By pointing out specific items and then associating them to a gender breeds a false logic to young cadets.  Mainly that the sexes are different and should be treated differently.  Except that isn't what the military aims to do, when you're in the military your sex/gender is inconsequential especially during active duty.  You are expected to perform because being a soldier comes first, and everything else comes after.

Get it together St. Johns Cadet admins!

We should be careful calling cadets soldiers.

I wish that the mom would have went to the Air Cadet Corp directly and voiced her concern over the directive instead of running to the media. This could have been handled in house without the everyone in DND losing their heads to stamp out this "atrocity"!

Guess she wanted her 15 min of fame.

Coffee_psych said:
This absolutely falls short of what is expected of military personnel.  By pointing out specific items and then associating them to a gender breeds a false logic to young cadets.  Mainly that the sexes are different and should be treated differently.  Except that isn't what the military aims to do, when you're in the military your sex/gender is inconsequential especially during active duty.  You are expected to perform because being a soldier comes first, and everything else comes after.

Get it together St. Johns Cadet admins!

If your military experience went beyond that of an applicant, you'd maybe realize the reality vice the idea in your post after a few years of experience in the military.  Something to consider.

Men and women are not the same, they don't have the same issues and concerns.  Disagree?  I'll give you 2 solid examples.  Testicular cancer and miscarriages.  Despite our society and their desire to make everything tidy, neat and PC...Mother Nature will prevail. 

Last point, not everyone in the military is a soldier.  I am an airman;  I wear a wedge, air ops capbadge and aircrew wings.  Sailors are sailors.  Cadets are Cadets, whether they are air, sea or army cadets. 

Active Duty is a US military term.  :2c:

Eye In The Sky said:
Last point, not everyone in the military is a soldier.  I am an airman;  I wear a wedge, air ops capbadge and aircrew wings.  Sailors are sailors.  Cadets are Cadets, whether they are air, sea or army cadets. 

Active Duty is a US military term.  :2c:

According to this the army is made up of soldiers, navy is made up of sailors and the RCAF is made up of personel.  [:D

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about/canadian-armed-forces.page

It takes up less time and space than saying "airmen and airwomen" every time!  8)  They should just make the leap and call us air-people.

FSTO said:
I wish that the mom would have went to the Air Cadet Corp directly and voiced her concern over the directive instead of running to the media.

Guess she wanted her 15 min of fame.

Because its 2016.  [:)

Eye In The Sky said:
It takes up less time and space than saying "airmen and airwomen" every time!  8)  They should just make the leap and call us air-people.

Sky soldier.  Adding Sky makes you guys sound cooler. We need to waste money so let's change it.

Sky soldier
Sky corporal
Master Sky corporal
Sky sergeant
Sky warrant
Master Sky warrant
Sky chief

Sky cadet
Sky ensign
Sky lieutenant
Sky captain
Sky major
Lieutenant Sky colonel
Sky colonel
Sky Brigadier
Sky Brigadier 2
Lieutenant Sky marshal
Sky marshal

Remius said:
Sky soldier.  Adding Sky makes you guys sound cooler. We need to waste money so let's change it.

Sky soldier
Sky corporal
Master Sky corporal
Sky sergeant
Sky warrant
Master Sky warrant
Sky chief

Sky cadet
Sky ensign
Sky lieutenant
Sky captain
Sky major
Lieutenant Sky colonel
Sky colonel
Sky Brigadier
Sky Brigadier 2
Lieutenant Sky marshal
Sky marshal
It's 2016... replace sky with aerospace at the least, so that we can have aerospace cadets for example

Remius said:

Sky soldier
Sky corporal
Master Sky corporal
Sky sergeant
Sky warrant
Master Sky warrant
Sky chief

Sky cadet
Sky ensign
Sky lieutenant
Sky captain
Sky major
Lieutenant Sky colonel
Sky colonel
Sky Brigadier
Sky Brigadier 2
Lieutenant Sky marshal
Sky marshal

God DAMMIT !! take that down before someone sees it and talks about it on Monday morning at the Good Idea Fairy O Gp!!

cavalryman said:
It's 2016... replace sky with aerospace at the least, so that we can have aerospace cadets for example

And the rank could be abbreviated A. Space Cdt  8)

Remius said:
Sky captain

Already done:

sky-captain-and-the-world-of-tomorrow-52c827361f9cb.jpg

Hamish Seggie said:
Earrings on men - not in uniform - ever.

Admiral Sir Henry Morgan of the Royal Navy disagrees; earrings are a strong part of the naval tradition, right up there with the executive curl and the rum ration.

L8A9XPFX.jpg

I sailed with a CO who authorized earrings on men for rounding the Cape of Good Hope.  He even got one himself, if I remember correctly.  The had to be removed before we got home.

Snr PA did the piercing and the men supplied their own earrings.

I don't believe a CO has the authority to authorize earrings, despite the wording of Ch 1, Para 8 of 265....but, hey, Snr Officers can do whatever the hell they want, right?  Screw the 'lead by example' stuff.  "I will do what I want, but you must follow the orders".  Awesome.

Eye In The Sky said:
I don't believe a CO has the authority to authorize earrings, despite the wording of Ch 1, Para 8 of 265....but, hey, Snr Officers can do whatever the hell they want, right?  Screw the 'lead by example' stuff.  "I will do what I want, but you must follow the orders".  Awesome.

I think you missed the circumstances under which such permissions would be set.

Let me see now.  When you were green and you were in the Field and your issue kit sucked, did your CO authorize you to wear non-issue kit....American rain jacket perhaps?

American rain jackets, though, aren't weren't strictly prohibited in 265...they were authorized 'beyond the range control gate' or something like that in G-town IIRC; so, authorized by the CO or Base Cmdr or whoever said we could wear them (back in the day) after crossing range control;  we also had to remove them, and jungle boots, etc before re-entering the garrison (I recall getting reamed out with my US rain jacket on outside the Crse WO bullpin in the School when RSM Brown walked by  :nod: and said "that$@&*@&#@ jacket comes off when you hit Range Control, Cpl !!!!!).

Every Dress Instruction I have seen, to date, males with earrings on duty/in uniform has been explicitly not authorized. 

So...not quite apples to apples?

You are still missing the circumstances and context.

Chrzest_r%C3%B3wnikowy_4.JPG

and all that goes with ship's/unit's moral.

Well...what to say to that.  I'm glad I ended up at a Sqn that doesn't sail?  ;D

Attachments

• morale.jpg
    morale.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 345
Back