• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deployment duration

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
It is understandable that many people interested in joining the CF are curious on how long they could be away for so as they may help prepare their loved ones for the inevitable separation. Folks there is no easy formula to say how long you will be away. Depending on the reasons of your deployment, your trade, and what is the situation you could be gone for awhile. So unless you have an actual end date for your deployment I would not sweat it. Even then you may be delayed, so until your back in your loved ones arms after a job well done, just relax and do your country, your unit and yourself proud by doing what your suppose to be doing.

And if you feel like complaining or saying something, think of the yankees in Iraq, and ask them how long their deployments are, and what fun stop loss is.

Well the government makes too many comitments for the number of troops it has.

Was it Timor they had to cancel?

Troops who served in WWII spent less time overseas than some canadian troops will serving now.

Something wrong with that, were at peace.

Hollywog said:

Troops who served in WWII spent less time overseas than some canadian troops will serving now.

Umm. IIRC, there were guys that left home in 1939 and didn't come back until 1946.... Thats a pretty long 'tour'. (correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Dorosh!)

Hollywog said:

What the hell are you talking about ? yeah, guys that left in 39 didnt come back untill the war was over.

Some guys spent less time in ww2 than troops spend in afghanistan do today, because they were sent home. They were no longer alive and could not be used as soldiers to the army. Yeah, thats one way to end a tour.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're on a tour until:
A) You die
B) You are relieved by another soldier
C) The conflict ends
Time spent on duty cannot be measured, as all conflicts are different.
We can only hope that all goes well for our troops as well as those who we serve with (Britain & the U.S.)

2332Piper said:

Yeah! didnt you hear? All those terrorist attacks and threats, the tours overseas and the thousands and thousands dead are all just an elaborate scheme and illusion concocted by Ashton Kutcher! He's pulling his biggest Punk'd episode ever! Ashton punks the planet!

hollywog, how exactly would you define peace again ? I dont consider somebody jumping on the hood of an Iltis jeep on patrol in Kabul with two mortar rounds strapped to his chest, and blowing himself up, something that happens in a time of peace.

Again, this is a perfect example of the ignorance the public has on what our military is involved in, and why nobody really cares enough to do anything, budget cut after budget cut. I said in a previous thread, ironically, a terrorist attack in downtown toronto would be the best thing to happen to the forces in a while. The public would be out for blood, and be totally dumbfounded and wonder why it happened, and why our military is in such rough shape as it is.

Hollywog said:

i'll give you that one

NO....Troops went to East Timor.   Guess you dont follow current events much...or know anything about the CF do you ?

Guess you are not into history either.   Put the nintendo down...you might learn something

We are ?   Could have fooled me   ::)

signalsguy said:
Umm. IIRC, there were guys that left home in 1939 and didn't come back until 1946.... Thats a pretty long 'tour'. (correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Dorosh!)

You are correct.  My grandfather was overseas with the field ambulance from Thunder Bay from 1939 to the end of 1945.

jmackenzie_15 said:
ironically, a terrorist attack in downtown toronto would be the best thing to happen to the forces in a while.

Be careful what you wish for, my friend...

From knowing people that have been on tour, typically tours seem to be 6 months actual deployment over seas (I've heard of 4 as well in one case). This of course is less leave time (if any) and does not include work up time. I do not know from personal experience, but I will find out soon enough.

Cpl Bloggins said:
Be careful what you wish for, my friend...

It's hardly a wish of mine. I was just pointing out, if that were to happen, you would see a quick turnaround in regards to public opinion and government spending. Of course I could be wrong, but either way it would still suck.

Wishing for it not to happen would also be irrellevant... its just a matter of time and we all know it. Lovely world we live in sometimes.

Slightly off topic, but since reference was made to the "incident", I want to clarify something.  "Somebody" didn't jump on the hood of and Iltis jeep and blow himself up.  "Somebody" was +/- a meter off the front passenger side of the Iltis (the 2nd one) before he chose to blow himself up.  Only one mortar bomb detonated.  He did not jump on the front of the jeep, or the back of the jeep, which many believe.  Don't you think the injuries and the outcome could have been much worse if this were the case?

Sorry to inject here Doug, but anyone who wishes to post that "they heard or read different", well don't,

....he knows. :salute:

The Air force had a good idea when they were trying to limit tours to 90 days
- you get the gong,
- you can leave your job and the unit wont miss ya for 90
-  the family probably needs a 90 day break from ya.
- You could do more tours because 90 days is not that bad no need for retraining if we rotated ever 18 months on 90 day tours. Back in the 80s I can remember 40 to 70 day exercises. 6 months she knocks the stuffing out of your life ever 2 to 3 years. There is somthing to be said for the 90 day cycle.

3rd Horseman said:
The Air force had a good idea when they were trying to limit tours to 90 days
- you get the gong,
- you can leave your job and the unit wont miss ya for 90
-   the family probably needs a 90 day break from ya.
- You could do more tours because 90 days is not that bad no need for retraining if we rotated ever 18 months on 90 day tours. Back in the 80s I can remember 40 to 70 day exercises. 6 months she knocks the stuffing out of your life ever 2 to 3 years. There is somthing to be said for the 90 day cycle.
If you are talking about the 56 day rotos brought about by the AF side during Op Apollo, one of the main reasons for this occurance was to enable the Aircrews/groundcrews to remain current in others aspects of their duties. So even while at home during their 56 days out of theatre, the guys usually weren't at work but were out getting all their other quals made current. You think their Units weren't missing them? I'd guess again here. I'd personally rather go for the full 6 and get it over with all at once, although as a Sup Tech, I've found my typical tour length to be 6.5 to 7 months long. 
Sailors, if their ship happens to pull a NATO are often at sea 7-9 months per year. This used to be the norm for them but has slackened off in recent years and usually only occurs should they become part of the NATO fleet these days. I guess any job or task in the military has the ability to knock the stuffing out of you without having the proper resources and equipment. That is key.

As for 'Doktor Hollywog' and all his beaucuop d'experience...I've got news for him. My husband once came home from a tour to a 1 month old he'd never met. My grandfather once came home from a war to find a 5 year old he'd never met. How does he explain this little mystery? And please remind me on Monday, to tell my Cpl that he must remove his East Timor medal from his inventory, as apparently the CF didn't go there!!

Hollywog said:
They should have told me... I guess the 5 months I spent there with INTERFET don't count ??

A slight hijack, but as the subject is "deployment duration"...
My WO, who only rarely lies to me, swears tour lengths are all being lengthened to a full year. I'm sure there's at least a grain of truth to this - anybody know who it's going to affect?
Cheers.

For the Army, tour lengths are not being extended to one year, though many options are being studied to try to relieve operational stress/deployment pressures and this is one option.  This, IMO, is what your WO probably heard about and rumour nets being as fast as they are, this flew.  Could tour lengths be extended or shortened? Of course as some of the people in Kabul found out.  Are tours longer than 6 months? Of course as many operations have found out, (and I believe almost all).  For example, the Bde HQ going in on TF 1-06 will be approximately a 9 month deployment.  If you are on, or going on a tour, then your chain of comd willl/should know your deployment and redeployment dates.
Sandbag

Back