• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deploying as a Reservist

Hax24

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post and I'm not sure if this is the correct section, but I could not find one directly pertaining to my question.

I have just applied to the Army Reserves, and I am curious about the process for a Reservist wishing to deploy somewhere?

If I am accepted, I would not be willing to deploy in the immediate future, but I would eventually like to go on deployment.

So how does a Reservist go on deployment? Can you volunteer at any time? Is there an application process?

Thanks.

Hax24 said:
I would not be willing to deploy in the immediate future, but I would eventually like to go on deployment.

You won't be qualified to deploy immediately.  You likely won't be qualified for at least a year, maybe more.

Hax24 said:
Can you volunteer at any time? Is there an application process?

Not at any time, no.  And yes, there is an application process.  Tour x will have y positions open to reservists, and once that list filters down through the chain of command to your unit, you will have the opportunity to apply on any of the positions that you're qualified for.  It's worth noting that you will miss Afghanistan as there is no likelihood of you becoming qualified prior to that mission's end, and after Afghanistan winds down, there will be no opportunities until the next thing comes along.

Alright, thanks.

After Afghanistan, is it not possible for Reservists to deploy on peacekeeping missions?

What peacekeeping missions do you think there are?

There are a very, very few, and typically the people they're looking for are commissioned officers and very senior NCMs.  You would be best served by assuming that there is zero opportunity after Afghanistan.

There will be something eventually, and all of the details will be publicized as necessary.

Loachman said:
There will be something eventually, and all of the details will be publicized as necessary.

Ack, to clarify, what I should have said is that there will be nothing in the immediate future or that anyone can foresee now.  Eventually there will be another one.

There will always be wars, and there's always going to be someone who has to go and fight it.

Willy said:
There are a very, very few, and typically the people they're looking for are commissioned officers and very senior NCMs.  You would be best served by assuming that there is zero opportunity after Afghanistan.

And signallers... always signallers... always signallers...

a Sig Op said:
And signallers... always signallers... always signallers...

Just out of curiosity, I keep hearing that people from Signals are always needed on tours. Why is there such a need for Signal personnel over people from other trades? I understand that setting up and maintaining communications is vital for any tour, but can't you say the same about a medic or a cook?

Proud_Canadian said:
10 Sep, 2001, "reservists will never be deployed in combat."
11 Sep, 2001, "holy #%?^."

Where did you get 10 Sep 2001 reservists will never be deployed in combat from? 

origami said:
Just out of curiosity, I keep hearing that people from Signals are always needed on tours. Why is there such a need for Signal personnel over people from other trades? I understand that setting up and maintaining communications is vital for any tour, but can't you say the same about a medic or a cook?

Secure communications.

You can hire a local cook, you can't hire a local signaller.

origami said:

We also have far less people in the Sigs trades than we have equipment that needs to be manned, so we are constantly undermanned on operations.

Back