• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DEO Health Care Admin Officer

AERO2012 said:
Indeed, having and advanced degree is no guarantee that one has gained any greater insight of how BAD things/practices work.

As I mentioned to you in a PM - This is not the proper location to be debating the merits/flaws of your mentioned Model. If you want a genuine discussion regarding it's merits or what have you, you should make a separate topic for its discussion.

To be honest, I'm not even entirely sure what you are defining as "BAD" - but I do know it has very little to do with being a DEO Health Admin Officer.

May we get back on topic?

My recommendation to HCA applicants is that they should work on making their application as strong as possible, ideally focused on health care. Spots will continue to be very limited for DEO applicants pending some drastic organizational change.

The attrition rate (release and VOT to HSO) in the MOSID over the past five years has been apx 10 per year. It is forecasted  for FY 12/13 that the intake program for HCA is targeting intake at historical attrition plus 30%.  The MOSID is also quite healthy in terms of current strength and very "young" in nature with 91% of officers having ten or less years of service. Unless the historical attrition rates are higher next FY or subsided applications are lower then it will be quite difficult to get a ROTP / DEO / UTPNCM spot in this MOSID. 

I hope that is of some interest.  I still encourage you to apply to the Canadian Forces Medical Service through the CFRC if you think that you can make a contribution to the health care of CF members. 

MC

MedCorps said:
I still encourage you to apply to the Canadian Forces Medical Service Health Services through the CFRC if you think that you can make a contribution to the health care of CF members. 
MC

Fixed that for you MC

I belong to the Canadian Forces Medical Service (CFMS), the Medical Branch. It is the cap badge that we wear proudly, the title on our slip on, and the traditions that we perpetuate from those that have provided medical care to service members before us.

I co-exist with the Dental Branch (CFDS), the public service, and other branch enablers in order to serve CF members as the unified Canadian Forces Health Service (CFHS). 

The CFHS is an organization, a formation, a command and care delivery model, nothing else.

The CFMS is my corps, my pride, and my history.  It is who I belong. 

Don't believe the propaganda.

MC

MedCorps said:
My recommendation to HCA applicants is that they should work on making their application as strong as possible, ideally focused on health care. Spots will continue to be very limited for DEO applicants pending some drastic organizational change.

The attrition rate (release and VOT to HSO) in the MOSID over the past five years has been apx 10 per year. It is forecasted  for FY 12/13 that the intake program for HCA is targeting intake at historical attrition plus 30%.  The MOSID is also quite healthy in terms of current strength and very "young" in nature with 91% of officers having ten or less years of service. Unless the historical attrition rates are higher next FY or subsided applications are lower then it will be quite difficult to get a ROTP / DEO / UTPNCM spot in this MOSID. 

I hope that is of some interest.  I still encourage you to apply to the Canadian Forces Medical Service through the CFRC if you think that you can make a contribution to the health care of CF members. 

MC

All my College and University education is all business. Hopefully that helps me out, August 12th is the big day :S

Resisting change are we?  http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pub/hist/an-1-eng.asp

In 1995, the Canadian Forces Medical and Dental Service were united under the Surgeon General who later became the Chief Health Services (CHS).

1999  - With the establishment of the Director General Health Services as head of the Canadian Forces Health Services (medical and dental), the Surgeon General became responsible for medical clinical issues while the Deputy Chief of Staff, Dental Service, retained his responsibilities for dental issues.

Anxiously waiting.... nervous.. lots of competition...

I wonder if I call would they be able to tell me where I stand in the list as far as the overall rating from out Cfat, Interview and application. Anyone know if they might be able to provide where you stand in the list? Only reason I ask is because if your not in the top XXX then you'll know your not in for this round of picking.

I totally feel for you - I felt (and feel) very much the same. My guess (which seems fairly accurate based on my conversations with recruiters, etc) is that by revealing where you sit on the list, you will make choices differently then if you were selected without such knowledge.

This is likely why they tell you not to do anything differently with your life while you are waiting - to go about your previous plans and make your decision when/if you get the phone call.

Consider this - You have an excellent CFAT score, aced your interview, etc. They tell you all these things, assure you that you are "top of the list" - then get a call regarding your credit check or security check and something is not as good as it previously looked. Not only have they gotten your hopes up but it is also plausible that by saying you were in such a position you might have quit your job and made plans to leave (etc). At best this result would likely leave you feeling cheated and your career undermined by the Canadian Forces (a negative result for public opinion, if nothing else) - at worst you might construe such information as a promise of employment which gets into (potentially) sticky legal issues.

I am sure that occasionally they let you know these details or hint on occasion regarding your suitability - but as far as revealing your odds of selection the best they can say is "you have a good chance", not "you did better then everyone else, here is how". Can't stop them from being human and wanting to give you an answer, but revealing your CFAT score would likely give you grounds to feel "cheated" if you were not selected, or oppositely feel the test didn't do you justice (if you had a poor score).

Again, I do not know the official policy - a recruiter's comments would be most welcome if I am in err. I believe I am not far from the mark however. I'd love to know my scores, etc as well - but after thinking about it I am starting to get a much better idea of why they keep such information to themselves.

Edited for grammar and clarity

Ayrsayle said:
I totally feel for you - I felt (and feel) very much the same. My guess (which seems fairly accurate based on my conversations with recruiters, etc) is that by revealing where you sit on the list, you will make choices differently then if you were selected without such knowledge.

This is likely why they tell you not to do anything differently with your life while you are waiting - to go about your previous plans and make your decision when/if you get the phone call.

Consider this - You have an excellent CFAT score, aced your interview, etc. They tell you all these things, assure you that you are "top of the list" - then get a call regarding your credit check or security check and something is not as good as it previously looked. Not only have they gotten your hopes up but it is also plausible that by saying you were in such a position you might have quit your job and made plans to leave (etc). At best this result would likely leave you feeling cheated and your career undermined by the Canadian Forces (a negative result for public opinion, if nothing else) - at worst you might construe such information as a promise of employment which gets into (potentially) sticky legal issues.

I am sure that occasionally they let you know these details or hint on occasion regarding your suitability - but as far as revealing your odds of selection the best they can say is "you have a good chance", not "you did better then everyone else, here is how". Can't stop them from being human and wanting to give you an answer, but revealing your CFAT score would likely give you grounds to feel "cheated" if you were not selected, or oppositely feel the test didn't do you justice (if you had a poor score).

Again, I do not know the official policy - a recruiter's comments would be most welcome if I am in err. I believe I am not far from the mark however. I'd love to know my scores, etc as well - but after thinking about it I am starting to get a much better idea of why they keep such information to themselves.

Edited for grammar and clarity

Ha yeah... I did have an idea of where I stood as of my interview. Did extremely well on the Cfat supposedly even though I forgot to fill in an answer in the spatial (stupid me). I know as of my final interview I had a really good shot but also there were a lot of people applying. My only wonder if how many people still need to do the interview etc after I did mine. Cfat was probably my biggest strength or at least my X factor that could keep me in the top spots on the list.

Oh the anticipation. Anyone have an idea if they pick say they 12th of August how long after would they let you know? I remember them saying something about between the 12th or 19th but I could be making that part up in my head.

Eastcoaster03 said:
Ha yeah... I did have an idea of where I stood as of my interview. Did extremely well on the Cfat supposedly even though I forgot to fill in an answer in the spatial (stupid me). I know as of my final interview I had a really good shot but also there were a lot of people applying. My only wonder if how many people still need to do the interview etc after I did mine. Cfat was probably my biggest strength or at least my X factor that could keep me in the top spots on the list.

Oh the anticipation. Anyone have an idea if they pick say they 12th of August how long after would they let you know? I remember them saying something about between the 12th or 19th but I could be making that part up in my head.

My CFRC told me that i should know by the 13th for HCA if I don't get selected they will have me in the next day for Supply Tech

cnobbs84 said:
My CFRC told me that i should know by the 13th for HCA if I don't get selected they will have me in the next day for Supply Tech

Yeah checked the calender and Aug 12th is a Friday. So I guess if they don't work weekends you prob will find out Monday the 15th.

cnobbs84 said:
All my College and University education is all business. Hopefully that helps me out, August 12th is the big day :S

So selection started on Friday... and now the wait is killing me!!

I'm still curious as to why any of these posters want to be an HCA?

Having been an HCA for 19 yrs now, I can tell you with absolute certainty that having a Business degree means nothing. Having an MA in any sort of health care management field means jack. Other than points on a merit board, it doesn't equate to the most important aspects of our role - ensuring that our troops get the absolute best care possible. Health care requires a passion, not 'it was my second choice'.

If you're going HCA to try and pad a resume and get a sweet job in a civy hospital a few years from now - please go elsewhere, we don't need you. We have enough self-centred jackasses in the branch as it is. I've seen far too many pathetic excuses for Officers over the last several years - telling me how they have this course, or that course, and now they know everything.

If you're willing to do whatever it takes, to be part of a team effort, delivering the best care possible, come on in!

Staff Weenie said:

Having been an HCA for 19 yrs now, I can tell you with absolute certainty that having a Business degree means nothing. Having an MA in any sort of health care management field means jack. Other than points on a merit board, it doesn't equate to the most important aspects of our role - ensuring that our troops get the absolute best care possible. Health care requires a passion, not 'it was my second choice'.

If you're going HCA to try and pad a resume and get a sweet job in a civy hospital a few years from now - please go elsewhere, we don't need you. We have enough self-centred jackasses in the branch as it is. I've seen far too many pathetic excuses for Officers over the last several years - telling me how they have this course, or that course, and now they know everything.

If you're willing to do whatever it takes, to be part of a team effort, delivering the best care possible, come on in!

:cheers:

MM

Staff Weenie said:

Staff I think that you may need a hug. If I wanted to work in a civy hospital I would have applied because my neighbor is very high up in Oshawa General Hospital. If I wanted to be a rich man I never would have applied to the Canadian Forces. Get my point? I am doing this because I want to serve my country and ensure that those who need to be treated can be in the most efficient way. Do HCA Officers make a butt load of money in the civy sector they sure do well over 100k a year. I plan on this being my career... a career I can be proud of. But more importantly ensuring that our troops get the care that they need no matter where in the world that they are. Eventually I would love to try and work for a team that works for disaster relief, the UN the options are endless. You don't get those kind of options working in a civy hospital making 100k+ a year. :p 

Staff Weenie said:

The only thing that my Degree proves... is that I have a lot of debt lol

cnobbs84 said:
You don't get those kind of options working in a civy hospital making 100k+ a year. :p

You can make $100K+ in uniform as a HCA and still not get those opportunities.  Do you think HCAs make decisions on how and where soldiers get health care and how efficient it is provided?  Really, not single-handedly they don't.  They may get to pay the bill, file the invoice or answer the phone.  They may do a recce, make a medical estimate or advise a field force commander but don't bank on making major decisions in your first 8+ years of service.

Thanks for the info. I figured that no one in their right mind would let a 2Lt make decisions because that is the time for the training/ learning. I figured making/offering decisions like that wouldn't happen at the junior officer level anyways. As for working for the others I think it would be interesting to do, but if you don't get that option then that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Are you an HCA? If so how long have you been in?

cnobbs84 said:
So selection started on Friday... and now the wait is killing me!!

Hopefully you'll hear something soon. I don't really understand why some people get a little weirdly aggressive on this site about people wanting to try something in their life. Good luck and hopefully you'll hear something this week.

Eastcoaster03 said:
Hopefully you'll hear something soon. I don't really understand why some people get a little weirdly aggressive on this site about people wanting to try something in their life. Good luck and hopefully you'll hear something this week.

Thanks eastcoaster. Selections have not happened yet even though they were supposed to start on Friday, but I guess that's the government for you lol. As for people getting aggressive I just shrug it off.. people tend to forget that they once were in my shoes very eager to get hired. But it is what it is and it's their right as a Canadian to complain if they wish lol. 

Back