• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Delayed voluntary release

Bluechip33

Inactive
Reaction score
Searched for a related topic/question, no such luck. If this has already been answered, I apologize.

-Currently in the process of voluntary release to go back to school.
-I have completed my first 5 year contract already.
-I am on a TCAT for a medical issue that I am waiting for a surgery to correct.
-Been waiting for said surgery for a very long time (2+ years)
-Chances of receiving said surgery before my release is next to zero
-Medical issue will not stop me from being employed post release.
-Have no desire to wait in the military for a medical release.

Is the military able to delay my release date against my will until I receive my surgery? Are they able to keep me in the military against my will until I get the surgery?

If you have an on going medical condition that you are on a t cat for, the military has to make every effort to either correct or stabilize that condition before they release you.

I've seen people on p cats awaiting surgery having their contract extended to accommodate that surgery and recovery time.

Now you can voluntary release, but you have to think long and hard about it if you are on a t cat that will most likely be a p cat, or on a p cat. It takes awhile, but you will be forfeiting a lot of possible benifits if you VR vs let the medical system go through its process.

As to delaying the VR, you can pull your VR all the way up to the day before you release. I am not sure about delaying a VR, most likely you would have to pull it, and submit a new VR request.

If anything I recommend staying in until the surgery and recovery time is done. 

I appreciate the quick response. My injury is definitely "stable", will not stop me from obtaining employment after release. I have no interest in stretching this out in order to receive a medical release.

So to clarify from your response, I will be able to release as normal in spite of my TCAT? my worry is that THEY will delay my release. I have no desire to claim medical benefits. Just want to be sure that I can start my school next semester as planned.

You have to put in a request through our CoC to cancel your release.  This will trigger an Admin Review and depending on the health of your occupation (green, yellow or red) DMilC may decide to retain or release you as initially requested. 

I do not want to cancel my release.

I want to ensure that THEY can't delay my release because of my TCAT.

Bluechip33 said:
I do not want to cancel my release.
I want to ensure that THEY can't delay my release because of my TCAT.

Based on your current period of service (ie; post initial TOS), you can request a 4.c. (Voluntary Release) at anytime but will still have to wait the 6-months from your date of submission before it takes effect.  If you have ongoing medical issues, they will usually try and accomodate the resolution/treatment of such, where and when possible.

You really won't know what the outcome will be, until you actually submit your request memo through your CoC.  It can go in many different ways, one of which, isn't usually delaying your release date.

Thanks for the great answer.

My memo is already in and release is approved for Jan 2017. Just waiting on the long ass process accompanied with it.

Worried on account that some co-workers stated they might delay my release based on things they've heard. So naturally I stress out hard about my plan for release being torn to hell.

Bluechip33 said:
Thanks for the great answer.
My memo is already in and release is approved for Jan 2017. Just waiting on the long *** process accompanied with it.
Worried on account that some co-workers stated they might delay my release based on things they've heard. So naturally I stress out hard about my plan for release being torn to hell.

The best advice that I can give you at this time, is to schedule an appointment with your local Health Services Detachment and bring to their attention the fact that you have already submitted your release for processing.  Not a phone call or casual visit but directly with the PA or MO treating your current condition.  Whilst your at it, I'd also suggest you book an Annual/Release Dental Exam, so as to get that out of the way as well.  Pay a visit to Clothing Stores and ask for a printout of issued kit and then get them to "highlight" exactly what you need to return too.      lol

Good luck!

DAA said:
The best advice that I can give you at this time, is to schedule an appointment with your local Health Services Detachment and bring to their attention the fact that you have already submitted your release for processing.  Not a phone call or casual visit but directly with the PA or MO treating your current condition.  Whilst your at it, I'd also suggest you book an Annual/Release Dental Exam, so as to get that out of the way as well.  Pay a visit to Clothing Stores and ask for a printout of issued kit and then get them to "highlight" exactly what you need to return too.      lol

Good luck!

Great advice. I have a meeting with my Dr this Wed. Ill make those recommend appointments. Thanks again!

Bluechip33 said:
Great advice. I have a meeting with my Dr this Wed. Ill make those recommend appointments. Thanks again!

There are only two "mysteries" behind your career with the CAF, regardless of how long you have served.

The enrolment process and the release process.  Both of which, you really only want to go through once.    :salute:

Back