• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Delay at the National Remembrance Day Ceremony

Also noticed Trudeau arrived at 10:56 and the GG at 11 during the moment if silence. Suspicious package or not that's disrespectful

Also noticed Trudeau arrived at 10:56 and the GG at 11 during the moment if silence. Suspicious package or not that's disrespectful
No, the moment of silence was pushed back and was properly observed. Unfortunately it couldn’t be at exactly 11, but I think some trust needs to be placed in those whose job it is to keep events safe.

A ‘low level’ (I.e., “probably not a threat”) suspicious package is very routine for Ottawa, but for a host of reasons many of us know well, there are some risks you just don’t take. The PM and GG’s protective details, and the incident command stood up for the event, would have made the ‘no go’ call, and either of the VIPs would have been idiots to try to override that.

As soon as the hazard was proven safe, events carried on, albeit a few minutes delayed. The couple minutes on the clock are an important symbol, but that must be weighed against genuine threat pictures. I think they made the correct, and balanced cal to resolve things as u intrusively as possible and carry on as normally as they could.

The PM did not speak or in any way make the ceremony focus on him. The GG spoke reverently of our veterans and of our fallen. As one of the guys shivering his nuts off on parade through the delay, I saw no deficit of respect.

No, the moment of silence was pushed back and was properly observed. Unfortunately it couldn’t be at exactly 11, but I think some trust needs to be placed in those whose job it is to keep events safe.

A ‘low level’ (I.e., “probably not a threat”) suspicious package is very routine for Ottawa, but for a host of reasons many of us know well, there are some risks you just don’t take. The PM and GG’s protective details, and the incident command stood up for the event, would have made the ‘no go’ call, and either of the VIPs would have been idiots to try to override that.

As soon as the hazard was proven safe, events carried on, albeit a few minutes delayed. The couple minutes on the clock are an important symbol, but that must be weighed against genuine threat pictures. I think they made the correct, and balanced cal to resolve things as u intrusively as possible and carry on as normally as they could.

The PM did not speak or in any way make the ceremony focus on him. The GG spoke reverently of our veterans and of our fallen. As one of the guys shivering his nuts off on parade through the delay, I saw no deficit of respect.
Even if PM Trudeau would have made that decision for himself, still idiotic but whatever, he was there with his wife, and I doubt he would want to put his family in any form of danger.

I’m glad that the powers that be erred on the side of caution. A 10 min delay is minor. It kind of messed up the sequence and such but it was good to see a sort of normal parade again for Nov 11th.

I’m glad that the powers that be erred on the side of caution. A 10 min delay is minor. It kind of messed up the sequence and such but it was good to see a sort of normal parade again for Nov 11th.
Admittedly it was kinda funny when the CF-18s were all "that's great you're in the middle of talking but LOL VVVVVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!" because of the forced unsyncing of timings.

Admittedly it was kinda funny when the CF-18s were all "that's great you're in the middle of talking but LOL VVVVVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!" because of the forced unsyncing of timings.
I found the gun firing exactly as the first bell tolled more entertaining.

Gunners ain't got time for nobody's crap!

I've been doing that parade for years and frankly the guns always seem a bit random and kind of obnoxious. It's just a fact of life that the Ottawa Remembrance Day parade will be punctuated by recurring loud booms for quite a few minutes.

A 21 gun salute from cannons seems to make more sense to me in the context of a ship sailing past a citadel into a harbour; not as a way to punctuate several songs and speeches in a downtown ceremony. But that's just me.

I've been doing that parade for years and frankly the guns always seem a bit random and kind of obnoxious. It's just a fact of life that the Ottawa Remembrance Day parade will be punctuated by recurring loud booms for quite a few minutes.

A 21 gun salute from cannons seems to make more sense to me in the context of a ship sailing past a citadel into a harbour; not as a way to punctuate several songs and speeches in a downtown ceremony. But that's just me.
To me, the sound of guns firing in the background is a great reminder that the parade, and pomp is about war.

Men lived and died under the constant sound of guns firing in the distance, so having the ceremony punctuated by artillery fire just seems right to me, though I get where you're coming from. It isn't as neat as the 1812 Overture, but then again, most music isn't written to include a few cannon.

To me, the sound of guns firing in the background is a great reminder that the parade, and pomp is about war.

Men lived and died under the constant sound of guns firing in the distance, so having the ceremony punctuated by artillery fire just seems right to me, though I get where you're coming from. It isn't as neat as the 1812 Overture, but then again, most music isn't written to include a few cannon.
Totally fair. It's purely a matter of 'I don't like it', not one of 'I think it's wrong'. My opinion on this definitely doesn't matter, nor is it one I hold very strongly. Just a minor gripe.

From my own perspective, I always thought it was very moving in the sense that the 21 gun salute starts at 11 on the dot with the bells from the peace tower chiming. And marks the point of reflection and culmination point of our remeberance day activities. It’s very dramatic and supports that moment in time.

TOT is sacred and uncompromising.

🍻
I recall an ex in Florida years ago where the BG worked on "gunner's time" from the CP and were exactly 8 minutes late for everything for almost the entire ex. Our US hosts who provided some excellent just-in-time support were constantly irritated.

We had a great ceremony in North Vancouver. Could not hear the guns fired from HMCS Discovery though which was surprising. They would not let Navy League Cadets take part, so my daughter stood in for them and did the "Commitment to Remember" again. I was pissed a bit as a young Air Cadet was supposed to recite "Flanders Fields" and they forgot him in the program, poor kid was quite disappointed.

(proud dad moment on) My daughter doing the "Commitment to remember" starting at 39:20
(proud dad moment off)

I recall an ex in Florida years ago where the BG worked on "gunner's time" from the CP and were exactly 8 minutes late for everything for almost the entire ex. Our US hosts who provided some excellent just-in-time support were constantly irritated.
Did no one in your BG ever give a time check at orders? I can't ever remember an O Gp when that wasn't done. Maybe instead of being "constantly irritated" it should have been sorted out after the first event.

:unsure:

I thought those went out with all timings per GPS time?

Did no one in your BG ever give a time check at orders? I can't ever remember an O Gp when that wasn't done. Maybe instead of being "constantly irritated" it should have been sorted out after the first event.

:unsure:
Yes, the time checks were done by the Bty Comd during the O Gp.

At least you don't live next door to Admiral Boom.

Back