• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Decompression in Cyprus - various aspects, updates (merged)

Jammer said:
We change into civvies when we arrive in Mirage. Fly to Cyprus a few hours later...the night is ours.
Classes the next 2 mornings only and the third day is ours.
Fourth day in uniform for the flight home.
Anyone who has done TLD will most likely agree that three days is enough.

It's exactly as you stated

mariomike said:
Must have been a slow news day at The Sun:
http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/02/01/12690431-sun.html
Considering that was on Canoe news 2-3 days ago, yeah.  I didn't see fit to post it then.  Check out the list of "incidents".  Some of them seem like self-defence to me.  ::)

Bump with the latest - watch for a merge shortly....
The combat mission is over, but the Canadian Forces will continue a program that allows soldiers to “decompress” for a few days at a resort in Cyprus on their way home from a tour of duty in Afghanistan.

The Canadian Forces is awarding a contract for up to $25 million to provide accommodation, transport, leisure activities and equipment handling for the “third location decompression program.” It’s designed to help troops make a smooth transition to family and society after six to eight months in a hostile, stressful and dangerous environment ....
The Huffington Post, 28 Dec 11 - Vaguely-worded MERX posting here (PDF of tender call here if link doesn't work)

milnews.ca said:
Bump with the latest - watch for a merge shortly....The Huffington Post, 28 Dec 11 - Vaguely-worded MERX posting here (PDF of tender call here if link doesn't work)

Interesting. They told us TLD wasn't a sure thing for Op ATTENTION Roto 1 - they wanted to see what happened with Roto 0. Looks like we know now.

Beadwindow 7 said:
That place was gross, Robin Hoods is where it's at!

It was nice in March 08 when I was there, but it was a Tuesday/Wednesday night so there was no one else in the bar but us. Real nice bartender.

PuckChaser said:
Awesome, I'm going back to Flairs!!!

Been there; danced on the bar with the stripper pole --- got the t-shirt.  8)

Never made it to Robin Hood's, its on the list for this time around if Paphos wins the contract again. Anyone head to Stavros' restaurant? Amazing food, and the guy sat and drank with us all night. Loved Canadians.

PuckChaser said:
Never made it to Robin Hood's, its on the list for this time around if Paphos wins the contract again. Anyone head to Stavros' restaurant? Amazing food, and the guy sat and drank with us all night. Loved Canadians.

Hit there too. Awesome place to eat and I highly recommend it!!

Holy youtube videos of Flairs and all the others batman!!

I had a great time at Stavros' place on all three nights after my first tour. Sadly, he was closed when I was there this past August - there were various stories going around, mainly involving a dispute with other restaurants and licensing. I was able to phone him and arrange a visit at his restaurant on my last night. I was glad to see that it was ready to open again, and now apparently has.

He is one of the most delightful madmen that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

PuckChaser said:

Got a free t-shirt from Robin Hood's. Spent most of my last night there, but only ever went in once - to use the washroom. Drank out front the whole time. Flairs was...uh...too loud and too 80s-ish. Also filled with drunken Scots from the British army.

CanadianTire said:
Got a free t-shirt from Robin Hood's. Spent most of my last night there, but only ever went in once - to use the washroom. Drank out front the whole time. Flairs was...uh...too loud and too 80s-ish. Also filled with drunken Scots from the British army.

I'm 43; I'm OK with 80iesish ... although Flairs certainly wasn't that a mere three weeks ago.

Back