• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Decompression in Cyprus - various aspects, updates (merged)

Greymatters said:
...especially compared to, i.e. 1988, when we only had 600 soldiers there and more than 2 got in trouble with locals over a six month period...
Not a logical comparison. Those there on UN tours spent 6 months there not only a couple of days.

Can these soldiers choose where they can go to get "decompressed"? For example, can they choose to go somewhere else with their loved ones?

5parta said:
Can these soldiers choose where they can go to get "decompressed"? For example, can they choose to go somewhere else with their loved ones?
No, as part of the decompression there is lectures you have to attend that are being presented by people flown in. 

Should be 5 days.
2 for classes, which are dry (both the classes and soldiers, ha)
then 3 for drinking and partying.

I hope I'm posting this in the correct thread, if not, mods- please feel free to move this post to the appropriate thread. 

It appears the video was done in Cyprus.

----------

Third Location Decompression
CFCombatCamera
August 27, 2009

Third Location Decompression (TLD) aids Canadian Forces soldiers leaving conflict zones at the end of their tour before returning to Canada. During this process, soldiers spend five days in a decompression area where they attend seminars about reintegrating to normal life, and take part in recreational activities to help them relax.

Video Length:
4:50

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVwwgkT5sKM&feature=sub

Interesting video, although the audio/video was quite out of sync.

They have to wear their AR CADPAT?  No wonder people were dragging in barrack boxes.  You'd think they'd try to cut down on how much crap a person has to lug with them.

(same article, different source)
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/677588
"R and R spells financial ruin for Canadian troops"

This article makes it sound quite seedy; it makes one wonder, 'is the writer being deliberately obtuse?' - I would say yes...

Apparently its okay for workers in other industries to spend their money, get drunk, and seek sexual partners, once they get out of the field, but god forbid our soldiers should do the same...

PMedMoe said:
Interesting video, although the audio/video was quite out of sync.

They have to wear their AR CADPAT?  No wonder people were dragging in barrack boxes.  You'd think they'd try to cut down on how much crap a person has to lug with them.

Moe, the AR CADPAT seems to be for when they take the flight home.....

Greymatters said:
(same article, different source)
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/677588
"R and R spells financial ruin for Canadian troops"

This article makes it sound quite seedy; it makes one wonder, 'is the writer being deliberately obtuse?' - I would say yes...

Apparently its okay for workers in other industries to spend their money, get drunk, and seek sexual partners, once they get out of the field, but god forbid our soldiers should do the same...

Lots of agreement with you there already discussed here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/88264.0.html

NFLD Sapper said:

The video showed them in lectures wearing their uniforms.  But yeah, I can understand the flight home bit.

We change into civvies when we arrive in Mirage. Fly to Cyprus a few hours later...the night is ours.
Classes the next 2 mornings only and the third day is ours.
Fourth day in uniform for the flight home.
Anyone who has done TLD will most likely agree that three days is enough.

NFLD Sapper said:

One changes into civvies in Mirage for the flight to Cyprus. Rucksack and kitbag stay in storage during TLD, so one only has one's small pack and barracks box. TLD is all in civvies. The group shots in CADPAT would have been filmed on the departure day, during the outclearance.

...Damn, you beat me...

I'll revel in that all night now.
It's not often I get one up on the Air Force... ;D

Ah, I didnt know that thread was there - the posts read pretty good at first, but then turns into the usual sidetracked train wreck (the switching to a debate over sunshine girls...)

Jammer said:
I'll revel in that all night now.

Gloat while you may. I'll be watching for an opportunity from now on.

Jammer said:
It's not often I get one up on the Air Force... ;D

You didn't this time. See what it says under "Loachman".

Canadian Army Aviation...a nice thought.
I have pics from my Dad's days when the Voyageurs were green and had CDN ARMY on them...
GOARMY!!!

Big friggin' deal...

I was in Paphos (and most of the rest of Cyprus) through the 80s when it was full of Marionite Christians and other Lebanese 'decompressing' from the Beirut conflagration. Obviously there was a bit of chaos from time to time, but it seemd like an SOP for the locals who have built Greek Cyprus to be the 'rooting and tooting' destination island for most of Europe and the Levant since 1974. Heck, where else in the world can you body surf with two huge Keo beers in your hand over a sea of drunken teenagers in a reworked bunker/disco? (oops, busted)

I'd wager it's even calmed down since then, but there are probably people on this forum with 2,3,4s etc on their UN medals who can comment with greater authority than I.

Greymatters said:

Ah, I didnt know that thread was there - the posts read pretty good at first, but then turns into the usual sidetracked train wreck (the switching to a debate over sunshine girls...)

How unlike some threads, right?  ;D

Jammer said:
We change into civvies when we arrive in Mirage. Fly to Cyprus a few hours later...the night is ours.
Classes the next 2 mornings only and the third day is ours.
Fourth day in uniform for the flight home.
Anyone who has done TLD will most likely agree that three days is enough.

Three days seems like plenty.  I was glad (on my tour) our decompression lectures all took place in KAF, so that when we went on our R&R (at an undisclosed location  ;)), all our time was for ourselves.  ;D

Back