• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Decompression in Cyprus - various aspects, updates (merged)

George Wallace said:
I'd also like to point out that what passes as a Five Star hotel in some places, may only be a Three Star here in North America.  One really does not want to stay in many of the Three Star hotels in Europe, and perhaps not some of the Four Stars, as some of them are no better than dumps or Youth Hostels.  The "Rating System" is not universal.

I hear ya......but it's Europe, history and culture, beautiful weather, beaches, good food and the women are usually a lot better looking and shaped  ;D

Further to what George said, I would say the decompression resort in Paphos is equivalent to a 3 or 3.5 star Caribbean resort most Canadians would be familiar with from all-inclusive vacation packages. Very nice for sure but we're not talking the Shangri-La here.

Insinuating that taxpayers are paying for soldiers to lounge at the height of luxury is misleading... 

I am kind of shocked I thought that the only reason to get the Toronto Star was to look at he Sunshine girl . I would of never have guessed that people actually read the paper .    ;D
        But on a more serious note I don't know why the paper focused on just young military guys .  I know allot of young people that did not belong to the military that spent good money on foolish ways to entertain them selves instead of saving including myself . 

karl28 said:
        I am kind of shocked I thought that the only reason to get the Toronto Star was to look at he Sunshine girl . I would of never have guessed that people actually read the paper .    ;D

That would be the SUN.    :nod:

George Wallace

You mean there is more than one news paper in Toronto WOW my bad .

karl28 said:
George Wallace

You mean there is more than one news paper in Toronto WOW my bad .

As far as I know, there is NO SUNSHINE GIRL in The Toronto Star.  If there were, perhaps I would look at its pages as well. 

The Sunshine Girl was banished from page three to inside the sports section years ago.  :(

Still.  The SUNshine girl isn't in the Star.

I think more people read the SUN chain of papers than the Toronto Star, and it isn't just for the Sunshine Girl.  The SUN is not as biased in its reporting and editorializing as the Star.  It also fits into litter boxes better, but that is another story, and we are wandering off topic.........Although, it was a "No News Day" that initiated this topic in the Star.  ;D

Ah! the good old days have left us high and dry.  When a newspaper only has to look for so called "dirt" on facts that they cannot even get straight is time to hang up their Laptops.  Half the battles in WW2 in Italy where won by Wine Drinking soldiers who moved forward to more vineyards.  This stayed with us until the late 80's early 90's.  When I was a young RCR 1977, I always can remember the CO getting his daily case of 24 KEO bear in Cyprus.  Every 2nd night we where down town coming home dressed as a Brit/FIN or who ever wanted to exchange dress uniforms drunker than a skunk, but ready to go in the AM.  When I got back from Afghanistan it took 3 drinks tipsy and I was ready to go for a few more and I woke up in the AM with 10 minutes to spare before I had to give roll call.  And yes I do not read the Toronto Star just another news agency looking for bad stuff to push their paper.  Have good one

Actually,

The Star has the Moonshine girls, and they are located somewhere in the business section, or classifieds.....

Today's Gal

dileas

tess

George Wallace said:
Still.  The SUNshine girl isn't in the Star.
I think more people read the SUN chain of papers than the Toronto Star, and it isn't just for the Sunshine Girl.  The SUN is not as biased in its reporting and editorializing as the Star.  It also fits into litter boxes better, but that is another story, and we are wandering off topic.........Although, it was a "No News Day" that initiated this topic in the Star.  ;D

I think the Sun pushed the good taste envelope a little bit too far when they published the Andy Donato cartoon comparing the mayor to Hitler.

http://img527.imageshack.us/i/mayor.pdf/
Globe and Mail / Sat 24 July 2004 / page: A9

That sounds very familiar. I was in CFOCS in 92 and out of our room window we see this limo pull up...
cheers,
Frank
dapaterson said:
1992. Gagetown.  Thursday night.  Two young OCdts from the Rock were due to fly to Chilliwack on Sunday.  Having taken them to the pay office to get two weeks pay in cash, the Sgt looking after them reminded them that they were to stay on base until their flight out (via Toronto to Vancouver).  And not to call Air Canada (at the number he provided) and make changes to their full-fare reservations and leave early, even though no one would be looking in on them again.

Flash forward to Chilliwack, Sunday, early evening.  A stretch limo pulls up to the shacks on base and our two young OCdts stagger out, scrounge the last few dollars they need to pay the fare from Vancouver airport from friends, and begin regaling one and all with their tales of a weekend in Toronto.

And the young Canadian soldier would be different from any other young person with a fist full of cash how????!!!???  ::)

They have just made it through a FREAKIN' war, if he wants to spend all his money on bubble gum, booze or Timbits....who cares?  Not me.

Gimmee a break, must of been a slow news day.

Mods - feel free to merge if/as you see fit...

Now that we've seen the criticisms and imperfections of decompression in Cyprus:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/79949.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/88264.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/76446.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/71586.0.html

the Cypriot media has an update - highlights mine - shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

‘Decompressed’ Canadian soldiers leave Paphos
Patrick Dewhurst, Cyprus Mail, 22 Aug 09
Article link

THE LAST of the Canadian troops, who were holidaying in Cyprus after tours in Afghanistan, have returned home.

Since spring this year, over 6000 Canadian peacekeepers have stayed in downtown Paphos, after operations as part of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

The scheme was the product of collaboration between Canadian top brass and the Paphos municipality, and was designed to help soldiers unwind and adjust to normal life after the stress of frontline fighting.

These “Decompression” periods, which are typically between 24 and 48 hours, have already proved successful among British soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, so much so that it is now standard practice.

Earlier this year, Commander Christophe Prazuck, a spokesman for the French Defence Staff announced that French forces were looking to follow suit. He said: “The idea is not to celebrate for three days; other nations believe that in the long term it works.” The French media had speculated Cyprus was earmarked for the project.

The visiting soldiers will no doubt have provided a welcome boost to the ailing tourist industry this year. 1,600 soldiers visited the island, with some staying for four weeks to enjoy the good food, weather and nightlife. In addition many of the Canadian soldiers visited cultural events. Savvas Vergas, Mayor Paphos said “We had a few officers visit our tourist offices to learn about cultural events. Many soldiers came and enjoyed them a lot”

However, the presence of soldiers has not been without its problems, and a number of violent incidents involving foreign troops have occurred.

In March 2008 two Canadian soldiers, who were staying in Paphos for decompression, were charged with assaulting a British resident. A month earlier, nine British soldiers en route home Iraq were charged in connection with a bar brawl.

Asked about these problems, Vergas commented that “yes there were some problems in the last year, but these were very few. I was very happy with having the soldiers on the island, and I would welcome people from all countries to come, relax and enjoy Paphos”.

Asked if this is likely to become a regular feature of tourism, Vergas said “I hope so. We will learn in the coming days whether the Canadians will be returning in October. If they do, we hope to receive between 600 and 700 soldiers.”

- edited to add mod msg -

It's welcome to the Cypriot point of view. They benefit as well.
Happy soldiers tend to tip better than fat German tourists... ;D

If over 6,000 have been there and only 2 Canadian soldiers are reported to have gotten in a fight over the same period, Id say that's pretty good...

...particularly true seeing as though Brit soldiers based at Akrotiri are banned from some of the very places we were able to go

...especially compared to, i.e. 1988, when we only had 600 soldiers there and more than 2 got in trouble with locals over a six month period...

Back