• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Decommissioning announcement 19 Sep 2014 - 2x Destroyers and 2 x AOR

Corrected my typo. My mind was somewhere else, or should I leave well enough alone ......

It's OK, Rifleman.  We had several USN sailors attached to us while we were on OP CARIBBE.  One of them probably would have enjoyed a little, after his shift.  And at any rate, your unintended typo has given me the best laugh of the day. Especially as it was true in his case...

Pat in Halifax said:
SCSC is long dead. The CSC Project (Canadian Surface Combatant) which replaced it, is alive and well and went to Project Definition phase in Nov 2012. What the hell do you think that mother of all shipyard buildings going up on the Halifax waterfront is for? Yes, AOPS will come first but the design of the building is based on the latest design version for CSC...which is not for public disposition at this time.

OK I must admit that I'm just learning that SCSC has now been replaced by CSC but whatever the latest acronym is for the future surface combatants, they are still taking too bloody long to come off of the drawing board.

jollyjacktar said:
It's OK, Rifleman.  We had several USN sailors attached to us while we were on OP CARIBBE.  One of them probably would have enjoyed a little, after his shift.  And at any rate, your unintended typo has given me the best laugh of the day. Especially as it was true in his case...

If the CSC already includes upgrades to ESSM, why is the government spending $600m for more? They say it won't be for the new warships projects (which would mean awarding a contract without proper bidding) but if that's the case... Why are they even approaching Raytheon-Lockheed-Martin?

RedcapCrusader said:
If the CSC already includes upgrades to ESSM, why is the government spending $600m for more? They say it won't be for the new warships projects (which would mean awarding a contract without proper bidding) but if that's the case... Why are they even approaching Raytheon-Lockheed-Martin?

Canada has a long tradition of scrapping recently upgraded ships

cameron said:
OK I must admit that I'm just learning that SCSC has now been replaced by CSC but whatever the latest acronym is for the future surface combatants, they are still taking too bloody long to come off of the drawing board.

CSC won't start being built until AOPs is done, so it's ten years until they start cutting steel.  No point rushing it off the drawring board when the technologies change rapidly, and they will also be able to take a lot of the lessons learned from using the upgraded combat suite on the frigates into coming up with their solution.

MilEME09 said:

....and buildings, bases, comms equipment, weapons and vehicles.

Then selling it, except weapons, for a dollar.

MilEME09 said:

I actually got it confused with the FELEX project. FELEX has the ESSM included in the refits, but the government is approaching Raytheon to buy more.

Bumped with the latest - the scrapping process begins with a "who's interested/qualified?" ....
This Invitation to Qualify (ITQ) is neither a Request for Proposal (RFP) nor a solicitation of bids or tenders and is intended only to pre-qualify suppliers.  Together this ITQ and the subsequent bid solicitation are the two parts of the solicitation process.  No contract will result from this ITQ.  The objective of this prequalification phase is evaluate the capability of a company to perform the work required for the disposal of EX-PROTECTEUR and EX-ALGONQUIN ....

CANADA has a requirement for the safe disposal of two ships that have reached the end of their operational lives. The ships are Her Majesty's Canadian Ships (HMCS) Protecteur; a Protecteur-class auxiliary oil replenishment (AOR) ship, and HMCS Algonquin, an Iroquois-class guided missile destroyer (DDG). Both vessels are based in Esquimalt, British Columbia. 

The resulting contract will require that the contractor prepare each ship for transfer, transfer it to the Approved Site, demilitarize the Controlled Goods, return any museum material, and subsequently dismantle (dispose/recycle) the vessel in an efficient and environmentally responsible manner that conforms to Canadian laws and the terms of the contract. All structural components above the main deck, from the main deck to the keel and all equipment, machinery and other components installed on or contained in the structure must be cleaned, removed, recycled, reused and/or disposed of in accordance with applicable regulations. The contractor may also be required to return fitted items left onboard to the Canadian Forces Supply System (CFSS). EX-PROTECTEUR will be available to the contractor at contract award and EX-ALGONQUIN will be made available to the contractor Spring of 2016. Dates will be confirmed in the resulting bid solicitation ....
More technical detail (like rating scheme for interested companies) attached.

Colin P said:
The Annapolis issue has soured them on artificial reefs for awhile I think.

Also the Fraser, one of the o-boats, the other steamer that was scrapped with the Fraser, and soon potentially the Ex-cormorant!

I would say with all the new environmental and controlled goods restrictions, Canada will probably never go the route of museum/artificial reef again.  Even the sinkex is incredibly expensive to prepare for.

Sell this ships to A who will, after a decent interval, resell them to B, who, after another wait, will resell them to C and so on until X resells them to a ship breaker in Bangladesh where incredibly poor people will rip them apart, despite the chemical and physical risks to life and limb.

DSC_0180.jpg
537360-ShipBreakingphotoreuters-1366304363-382-640x480.jpg

E.R. Campbell said:
Sell this ships to A who will, after a decent interval, resell them to B, who, after another wait, will resell them to C and so on until X resells them to a ship breaker in Bangladesh where incredibly poor people will rip them apart, despite the chemical and physical risks to life and limb.

DSC_0180.jpg
537360-ShipBreakingphotoreuters-1366304363-382-640x480.jpg

We aren't actually selling the ships; we will be paying someone to scrap them, but the contractor will get to keep the metal to offset (a small portion of) the costs of the contract.  The 'approved site' will effectively have to be in Canada to meet the environmental laws (particularly PCB export restrictions) plus CG requirements.  There are a few possible sites (most not on the west coast), but it's good to finally have this out on the street; been in the works for a long time.

Spencer100 said:

This is not really news, the 60/40 split has already been in effect for sometime. There are a few people gone tothe enchanced boarding party, however not too many. The bulk of the crews are gone to the rest of the fleet to fill shortages. Its interesting to note that even through the destroyers will be decomissioned, there will be a limited amount of personnel still working there and the billets are still not gone away.

Careful of the title you used: "Paid off May 01 for the 280s"a
ATHABASKAN is alive and well and the plan is to keep her in service as a NR platform as per the original divestment plan.

Also, for anyone attending this event, a great way to kick off the day would be to attend the CFL Pancake breakfast in the MOG5 galley 0730-0930 in support of Canada's National Naval Memorial HMCS Sackville.

Pat

Back