• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dealing with parents and tour

Pikache

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Now I've been told that as part of DAG process, the padre is going to contact my parents concerning my wish to go on a tour.
I've also been told that if my parents disagree with me going on tour, then I can't go on a tour.
I am older than 18 yrs of age.

True? False?

That is deffinatley a new one to me. Most likely the padre is going to contact your family to find out who lives at home how they feel about you going on tour and if there are any issues they should look out for while your overseas. But if your over 18 i cant see them stopping you. Unless the tell the Padre that your nuts at home or something along those lines.

False!

(But I know YOU are over 18......so He isn't going to ask your Mommy and Daddy.  ;D )

I don't know, George......I smell a set-up question here.

bollocks. The age of minority allows you to go on tour without their permision. If I understand this correctly (and I may be mistaken, it's happened twice) this is why you can enlist at 16 but can't deploy until 18.

He will, being married, go in with his spouse and visit the Padre during his DAG.

If he were, single and living in the shack, and in the Reg Force, he would not have the same circumstances.

If he were, single and living at home as a 18 year old Reservist, he may have the Padre visit his parents.  Perhaps?

Absolute crap! As an adult, your parents can't do a thing (unless they have you declared incompetent or insane) ;) And no self-respecting Padre would recommend that you not go on tour just because your folks don't want you to go. He/she should instead be finding out what (if any) concerns your folks have, then addressing them.

During the pre-deployment DAGs that I went though, the padre (or social-worker) ask me what the wife was thinking about me possibly going away and such. They have your phone number and asked if I would mind if they call the wife, just to check what she says. I guess it depends of what your answer is... but i never had to bring her with me at the interview. They never called. I guess that if you play fair and don't lie to them, they won't bother you.

Reference parents though, I don't know...

They will call your parents and they should. They need to gauge their response to your deployment and see if their are any special needs to take care of for them. They cant deny you the right to go on a tour (your parents that is). But the Padre will ensure that your next of kin knows where you will be and that they have a for sure number to contact some one if something does happen. The Padre will also leave them a number to call if they need any additional support.

When I deployed they did nothing of the sort and they should have, It seems to put your parents at ease alittle more. 

Good luck on tour

Back