• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dealing with being home from Kandahar

Piper- Thanks for the update. I'm sure I'm one of quite a number of people who's paid attention to your story the whole way through. Sorry to hear it's come to this, as expected as it might have been. Here's hoping things pan out for you as you move on from here. I'll echo the 'out of CADPAT- not out of the family' sentiment. Too many posts here making it sound as if you're going away.

Thank you for the service Piper.

All contributions, no matter how small, contribute to the betterment of the CAF.  Thank you.

Departing the CAF, under any circumstance, takes a toll on the member.  What is to remembered, as Technoviking pointed out, is the special bonds you have built in this 'fraternity'.  Your and our paths will constantly cross.  Memories will be shared at those times.

Cheers and all the best in your next endeavours.

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone.  Much appreciated.

I guess I should have included where life has taken me in my update as well; you could pretty much say I've successfully transition into a civilian career.  I am currently employed as a Weapons Technologist (Mechanical Engineering Technologist) at Colt Canada.  It's as much of a dream-job as it sounds.  And, it keeps me close enough to the military family to feel like home; I work with a lot of former CF members and other like-minded people.

Aside from that, I've connected with a couple veterans groups; most notably the Canadian Army Veterans motorcycle unit. Just another way to stay close to the military family.  And, of course, I will continue to lurk around Army.ca.

With that said; there are some connections with the military which have been broken.  For example; I am no longer playing with the Pipes & Drums of the Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada for various reasons... mostly because it stopped being enjoyable; the uniform caused pain (physical) and served as a reminder of some of the miserable things I've been through since coming home injured, and I really didn't want to be involved with something that just left me anxious and angry whenever I'd participate.  The music stopped being enough to keep me happy, so I left the band.
I'll still keep the moniker of RHFC_Piper for the forums, though.

Another recent development since my last post; my Depart with Dignity ceremony won't be taking place during the National Day of Honour parade at the Region of Waterloo International Airport now.  I was informed, last night, that my DWD package will take another 3 months to complete, and therefore, won't be ready in time.  I can't say I'm surprised; just disappointed, and a bit embarrassed, after inviting friends and family to the event, having been told by the JPSU and my home unit that everything is good to go up until now. 
But, I suppose this is more fitting of my experiences over the last 15 years; I raised my hopes only to be disappointed... and there is really no one to blame; shit happens, and I should have known better.

Anyway, thanks again for the support and well-wishes.

You're still a Highlander and a member of your Regimental Family, that never changes and you're still a Piper, so the name on here better not change. Remember some of us D/S are old and get confused easily  8).

The CAV is a good organization and there are other Veteran organizations out there as well that would benefit from your participation and expertise as time, family and work commitments allow.

No explanations (apologies about only attaining Cpl, etc...) required after you uttered these fine words:
RHFC_piper said:
Well... it appears I've had enough scotch to tire me out, so I'll leave it a this and call it a night. 
:dileas: :cheers:

Glad you are enjoying your new digs and as others have said, thank you for your service, not only in combat, but perhaps even more importantly, being one of the early voices to speak of the difficulties of OSIs/PTSD.

All the best in your future, Piper!!!

Slainte mhathe!

G2G

Back