• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dealing with being home from Kandahar

HOLA :piper:

You guys made it back to the great white north ok???? I sat back and looked at all our pictures yesterday to warm up.... LOL I am looking into another trip this time St Lucia ...Hey did you go through vacations for hero's? if so did you think it was less expensive etc?

Welcome back to the cold......
Cheers

lovinmysapper said:
HOLA :piper:

You guys made it back to the great white north ok????

Yeah... After a 2 hour delay on the tarmac in Punta Cana.  There was a delay due to an unregistered aircraft, with no radio, flying in the airports air space (or so the Captain told us), then they baggage handlers forgot to load an entire trolley of luggage... As the captain is telling us this, I look out the window and notice the trolley on luggage they forgot to load includes our luggage.  That could have turned out worse.

Besides that, there was heavy turbulence throughout the flight... but I was loaded up with Gravol and set into my default for flight; sleep.  So I didn't notice anything.  The wife did though... and she was also sitting next to the most annoying human on the flight.  At one point, this guy woke me up singing and tapping a rhythm on his knee, with head phones on... I glanced over to see what the hell he was doing, which, I guess, was more of an angry stare. He pulled off his head set long enough for me to give him a quick 'heads-up' about how annoying he was, and if he didn't stop, I'd switch seats with my wife and show him how annoying I could be... I won't go into details about his response and mine that followed; but, needless to say, the tapping and singing stopped.... and the wife was happy.

Thanks to the delay, we didn't land until around 6pm (should have been 4ish)... the luggage was delayed... again.  But we zipped right through customs and security (cause we planned ahead and made things easy on ourselves).  And thankfully, we had a car come pick us up, so we didn't have to worry about the drive home.
We got in the door around 8:30pm, after a quick stop for food.

lovinmysapper said:
I sat back and looked at all our pictures yesterday to warm up.... LOL I am looking into another trip this time St Lucia

I got married in St. Lucia.... It's beautiful, and safe.  You can explore the island without feeling like you're going to get mugged. The people are very friendly.

We stayed at the Sandals Regency La Toc...  Ultra All-inclusive... it was awesome.  But, I would advise getting an upgraded room, or you'll be a bit of a hike up a hill from the beach and the main pool.

Either way, St. Lucia is awesome...  My sister and brother-in-law stayed at a B&B there, and they loved it... they were pretty much living close in with the locals; they had a great experience.

lovinmysapper said:
...Hey did you go through vacations for hero's? if so did you think it was less expensive etc?

No. We went through Itravel2000.com... Vacations for Hero's didn't have what we were looking for at the price we got through Itravel2000.  They do have good deals though...  but like anything else; you have to shop around.

lovinmysapper said:
Welcome back to the cold......
Cheers

Yeah... thanks..  ::)    I just loved looking out the window, on our way into Torono and seeing white everywhere...  :(

Well... it's good to be home.  I missed internet, satellite TV, my bed and food that doesn't have me running for the toilet.  But, I'm not looking forward to getting back to the grind.  Oh well... at least I have a nice tan.

Ok Whats up with rude people on airplanes??? I think we need to start a new thread on that topic alone.... I was doing a visual whislt reading your reply LMAO......... >:D

Our first flight down we end up with 2 dudes who were in a hurry to get off the plane and start drinking, they were seated at the back of the plane and we were in the middle they managed to cut in front of everyone and were in front of us... 1 dude was speaking with his body so arms going all over the place, hubby was not impressed he is standing up and 1 dudes elbow catches me in the chest area... OH not a good thing... hubby says hey buddy watch what your doing here.... 1 dude says WTF is up with you? you are rude bla bla bla... hubby has that look and all I can think of is CF rules on HLTA so I say excuse me Sir you have hit me with your %^&* elbow 3 times he is not rude YOU are... we all want off the plane so chill out!!!! 2 dude is his son and seems to be a recent recruit with ummm shall we say ATTITUDE he steps in hey whats going on here??? I saw what was about to happen and  said hey dude nothing just relax and mind your own... 1 dude replies with smart comment  and hubby is ummm steaming but also sees the need of not saying another word just a desperate look of I need a SMOKE!!!!!! we get off the plane and wouldn't you know it they are on the same bus as us.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .... basically they wanted to fight it was clear... Conflict Resolution came in handy ;)

return flight we get a guy who was so sick and coughing puking sweating right in front of us... and he was touching everything... and acting disoriented etc... we were like OMG great, death by pandemic from DR grounded in aircraft, containment team etc.... Sunwing sucked...... they over  booked all seats no one was where they were assigned... bad news all around....

Other then that drinks were awesome....
St Lucia is probably a go in April when he is back... I also thought about B&B but he is going to want service.... and not to many locals for sure....

You know I did not miss the internet once... now the TV ... I guess because he had been gone since June so I had him.... Lil

Anyways I am headed to school Have a GREAT day!!!!!

Cheers :piper:

A new bump to and old thread, but I have to say it:

This is the first time I've read this entire thread, and I've read your contribution to Outside the Wire.

Piper, you're an inspiration to soldiers, present and future.  Whatever you do, keep writing. 

-Scott

Hey Piper  :piper: ... are you not my chivalrous Piper who lifted me in your arms out of a carrier at the VE Day Ottawa parade day that happened on the grand opening of the Ottawa War Museum, me being an arthritic Old Ma Yappy Vets Dottir (at least I have some kind of memory of you lifting me in your arms for some reason, if this is indeed you) ................... ??? If it is you, my god, I had no idea what you later went through and still do and I'm really sorry I wasn't aware of any of this.

Congrats on your marriage, and I thank god you came home to share with the rest of us, the truths and realities in your purely "was and is" voice, so that everyone can know you better, and know what things are really like from "those who were there perspectives" ... the better the rest of us know and understand what our deployed troops experience and sacrifice, the better we all know how to relate and respond ... and know better how to respond to and support our troops on our ends. So many people "don't get it" because so many people really don't know, and people like, you, your voices, are SO important for the rest of us. I also think that when someone breaks the ice and talks, then more people have the courage to honestly open up too, and that can only be healing ?

I read through EVERY post from beginning to end last night and thank you so much for your outpourings because your telling it like it was and is for you is also telling it like it is and was for our troops and more will open up because you broke the ice ... opened doors of understanding and communication between our troops and the rest of us. None of us can ever know how to respond and be there for someone else if we don't know and understand them. We don't know what to say, or how to act, and feel helpless. They need to tell us ... which you did and I can only guess that your post and this thread has opened up a LOT of people to understanding each other and a LOT of progress has been made in relationships, healing, and even understanding ... communication doors are opened ... and because of that, doors for progress and better ways of handing things for our troops.

General population Canadians, need to know and understand our military types better and how important what they do is, for them, and what it costs. General Canadians need to connect the dots in their own understanding about the importance and value of the military for their own survival and freedoms.

When people like you open up and tell us all publically the real "is/was" that goes a long way in doing away with misunderstandings and stereotypes and towards working together as civis and troops (etc) working together as teams and helping each other, which makes for a stronger "Canada". Family eh? :)

Sorry, I'm on a free flow roll here. I hope you keep on writing because your voice is so "real" important and simply put, you do one hell of a good job.

If you are my chivalrous Piper of VE Day (and I'm pretty sure you are) I have a photo I took of you that day somewhere that I'm trying to find again, of you in your kilt, and you weren't drunk like the one you posted in here  ;D I'll post or send it you if I can find it again.

What else can I say? I don't know. Thank you is kinda sorta how I feel, but it's so much more than that. Your life is redirected since you were hurt and I hope you find a new happy niche that feeds your soul if you can't pick up the threads of your original hopes and plans.

Hugs to you!

Vets Dottir said:
Hey Piper  :piper: ... are you not my chivalrous Piper who lifted me in your arms out of a carrier at the VE Day Ottawa parade day that happened on the grand opening of the Ottawa War Museum, me being an arthritic Old Ma Yappy Vets Dottir (at least I have some kind of memory of you lifting me in your arms for some reason, if this is indeed you) ................... ??? If it is you, my god, I had no idea what you later went through and still do and I'm really sorry I wasn't aware of any of this.

I was at the opening of the museum with Normandy Platoon, Highland Light Infantry of Canada (my regiments reenactment group). And I was there as the piper... and I think I was the only reenactment piper there....  sooo...

If this is the piper you remember:
IMG_0964.jpg

And this is the carrier (one of them anyway):
IMG_0897.jpg

Then, it was probably me.  That was quite a while ago, and I have the memory of a goldfish sometimes.  What I do remember about that day was being approached by the parade Sgt Maj (CWO I think) about 10 min before the beginning of the act of remembrance, at the national war memorial, and asked to play the lament... the piper who was supposed to do it was late and the Sgt Maj was concerned.  Of course I said yes, and found a quiet corner to practice a bit.  But as my luck would have it; the piper showed up just moments before the whole show started.  Would have been pretty awesome to play at the national memorial though... oh well.
Besides that; the rest of the weekend was a healthy mix of playing the pipes, shooting blanks from a Lee Enfield and drinking heroic amounts of alcohol... good times.
I haven't done much with the reenactment group since I've been home, due to school, work and health issues, but I'm hoping to get back into it soon. I really miss those days.

Vets Dottir said:
Congrats on your marriage, and I thank god you came home to share with the rest of us, the truths and realities in your purely "was and is" voice, so that everyone can know you better, and know what things are really like from "those who were there perspectives" ... the better the rest of us know and understand what our deployed troops experience and sacrifice, the better we all know how to relate and respond ... and know better how to respond to and support our troops on our ends. So many people "don't get it" because so many people really don't know, and people like, you, your voices, are SO important for the rest of us. I also think that when someone breaks the ice and talks, then more people have the courage to honestly open up too, and that can only be healing ?

I read through EVERY post from beginning to end last night and thank you so much for your outpourings because your telling it like it was and is for you is also telling it like it is and was for our troops and more will open up because you broke the ice ... opened doors of understanding and communication between our troops and the rest of us. None of us can ever know how to respond and be there for someone else if we don't know and understand them. We don't know what to say, or how to act, and feel helpless. They need to tell us ... which you did and I can only guess that your post and this thread has opened up a LOT of people to understanding each other and a LOT of progress has been made in relationships, healing, and even understanding ... communication doors are opened ... and because of that, doors for progress and better ways of handing things for our troops.

General population Canadians, need to know and understand our military types better and how important what they do is, for them, and what it costs. General Canadians need to connect the dots in their own understanding about the importance and value of the military for their own survival and freedoms.

When people like you open up and tell us all publically the real "is/was" that goes a long way in doing away with misunderstandings and stereotypes and towards working together as civis and troops (etc) working together as teams and helping each other, which makes for a stronger "Canada". Family eh? :)

I appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad the bond between soldiers and civilians is growing stronger... I'm also glad that I was/am able to contribute to that bond (if I am)... but, As I've said in previous posts, the reason for my original post here was to get things off my chest; to vent and try to move on. And all the other writing (Outside the wire) was really because someone asked.  I'm not much of a writer; I can really only write what I know and what I've done. So unless I keep doing interesting/painful things, which the wife won't allow  :), or people develop a taste for books about an engineering student, or a part time soldier, I don't think I'll be writing much more. 
I really was hoping to make another jaunt back over to the sand box, but there have been a lot of obstacles; school, health (PCAT), the wife (understandably)... and, somehow, I doubt I'll have it all sorted out before we're out of there.
Either way; if the repercussions of my writings include encouraging my fellow soldiers to come fourth with their experiences; I believe the Canadian Forces and the general population will be better for it.  And I'm glad to have a small part to play in it all.

Vets Dottir said:
If you are my chivalrous Piper of VE Day (and I'm pretty sure you are) I have a photo I took of you that day somewhere that I'm trying to find again, of you in your kilt, and you weren't drunk like the one you posted in here  ;D I'll post or send it you if I can find it again.

Heh... at least not that you know of...  :piper:
That weekend involved quite a bit of alcohol.  heh... I really do miss those days. (not the drinking; the fun and adventure.)

Vets Dottir said:
What else can I say? I don't know. Thank you is kinda sorta how I feel, but it's so much more than that. Your life is redirected since you were hurt and I hope you find a new happy niche that feeds your soul if you can't pick up the threads of your original hopes and plans.

Again, I appreciate the kind words. 

As for picking up the pieces; unfortunately, I have skewed quite a bit from my original plans... but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. If I were on the same road as I was before tour, I would probably be an out of work machinist.  I doubt I'd be living where I am now, and I would probably be putting in for a transfer to the big R (regular force). 
As it stands; I'm in school for Mechanical Engineering while I recover, and I'm tailoring my education in one of two (or both, haven't decided fully) directions; Defense research and development or renewable energy resources.  Currently, I'm finishing up a co-op placement with a defense contractor who focus on vehicle survivability... Every day I go into work, I see people working to ensure our soldiers come home. And they're fiercely proud of their work. (their motto is "do it right the first time").  I see the products they are sending out and I would, most definitely, put my safety in their hands.

On the military side; I'm fighting medical release, but I have amazing support from my assisting officer (3VP Highlander ), my home unit, 31 CBG and LFCA.  Even if I am deemed unfit for my trade, I will still stay with the unit as a bandsman.  If I am deemed unfit for the CF in general, I will just be a volunteer bandsman. I could never leave my family.

Physically, I am improving steadily; about a month ago, the unit conducted a Battle Fitness Test... I hadn't done one since before deployment, and was slowly working up to it.  My original plan was to be ready to do the BFT by the end of the summer...  I did it that night with the rest of the troops.  I didn't pass, but I finished the 13K (2h 40min or so).  My goal was just to finish and I did.  By the end of the summer, I believe I'll be able to pass.

Anyway, nothing will ever be the way it was before; but that's the dynamic nature of life.  As Robert Frost put it;
"TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both...

...Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

Did I take the one less traveled by on purpose? maybe not. Am I sorry for it? Hell no.  Has it made all the difference? Yes!
There will be more roads, and I will take the ones of lesser travel because they're more interesting, more adventurous, and most of all, because I know how far I can go. I've been close to the end, and I've found that there is a great buffer between us and our limits... It's in this soft, self imposed limit that we can make the most difference; we just have to learn to accept the consequences, good or bad, and accept the challenge. 
Example; I could spend my recovery time sitting on ass in an office doing something cushy (yes, recruiting was cushy). Why would I burden myself with school? Especially Mechanical Engineering (it's much more difficult than I thought)? Simply because I have the opportunity, the time and the resources at hand, right now... and when I'm finished.. and I will finish.. I will be better for it. And I will use it to face the next challenge. The military has taught us; "Seek and accept responsibility".  I say; seek and accept challenges. Whether you succeed or fail, you will be better for it... you just have to accept that you could fail, and learn from the experience.

Anyway, sorry for turning this into a novel; I've had a lot on my mind about the way I'm conducting my life (not in a bad way), and it just throws me into rants sometimes... someday, I'll write a book of rants. I wouldn't want to publish it before I'm dead though... too much flak.

Thanks again for the kind words... and I hope I am/was the piper of which you write... he sounds like a nice guy.  ;D

:piper: 

Well, I'm delighted to tell you that YES you are my Piper!!!  :piper:  :salute:

That photo of the 3 carriers, I rode the parade in one of them, can't remember if it was the one far right, or the middle one. It has been a while. I wasn't able to locate that photo of you that I took, but I will. I may have to scroll through threads in a forum where I posted it and snitch a copy back before I can post it though. You weren't inebriated :D when I took it because we were all lining/lined up ready to roll the parade soon ... what I do remember is something special had happened for you just before I took the photo of you I think and you were in a bit of a nervous panick ... and I think you were because you had just been asked to pipe!!!! It comes back, my memory ...

There's a lot more I was to respond to in your response here, but will get to that shortly, right now I'm going to try upload a photo that might ring your memory bells about me if I can figure out how to do that  ;D

Hey Piper ... I'm glad you're my Piper! How cool is that?! 8)

DARN IT! the "attach" thing won't upload for me ... sorry!

Vets Dottir said:
Well, I'm delighted to tell you that YES you are my Piper!!!  :piper:  :salute:

That photo of the 3 carriers, I rode the parade in one of them, can't remember if it was the one far right, or the middle one. It has been a while. I wasn't able to locate that photo of you that I took, but I will. I may have to scroll through threads in a forum where I posted it and snitch a copy back before I can post it though. You weren't inebriated :D when I took it because we were all lining/lined up ready to roll the parade soon ... what I do remember is something special had happened for you just before I took the photo of you I think and you were in a bit of a nervous panick ... and I think you were because you had just been asked to pipe!!!! It comes back, my memory ...

There's a lot more I was to respond to in your response here, but will get to that shortly, right now I'm going to try upload a photo that might ring your memory bells about me if I can figure out how to do that  ;D

Hey Piper ... I'm glad you're my Piper! How cool is that?! 8)

DARN IT! the "attach" thing won't upload for me ... sorry!

Yeah.. you posted the pic at the Maple Leaf Up forums quite a while ago.
It was this pic:
attachment.php

It's all coming back... I do vaguely remember that day.  And, of course, I do remember you (specifically from the MLU forums and that parade).  I rarely ever go on to the MLU forums, as I don't do much with the reenactment group anymore.

Good times!  :piper:

Oh hey and I'll be a monkeys Aunty ... the image uploaded!  ;D

That's Moi  ... do you recognize me from that day now? That was an INCREDIBLE day all round, as were the few days there. I also have a nice photo of myself wearing Don Zorniak's beret with the RWR cap badge that he wore in the parade (RWR's important to me, especially for that days events)

And by the way, you are correct, my Piper was and IS a nice guy so suck it up  ;D

Awesome ... now I can snitch a copy of my photo of you from here. Thanks! I haven't been a member of that forum for a long time now. I moved on from it but stay connected with many members from there still.

Regards all my "kind words" to you, I meant them, simply put. I'll say again, your "venting" was awesome and I know without a doubt that what I said was, and is, true, about the impact your expressions have had on a lot of people. May not have been your intention for writing, but that's how it worked and benefited those who have read it. That's what open honesty naturally does to people, it reaches them and shows people what those close to them haven't been able to say or show them and someone else comes along and "says it out loud" and the lightbulbs of understanding come on, as do openings for discussion.

There are some things in my life that I never spoke out loud to a soul until I read or heard others tell their own stories, 30 plus years after some of my own experiences happened. Until then, a large part of me was stunted and couldn't move forward. Others open honesty opened not only doors to communication but removed obstacles of closeness and understanding between me and others. Healing started to happen.

I think, part of your stories, about the bonds between you and your buddies serving, and serving itself, has helped a lot of partners and spouses, friends, and people in general, understand better and deeper just how important and strong those bonds run. They understand their "soldier/whatever" better and in turn and are more supportive and accepting of letting them go ... off to war, off to their buddies, their family, etc.

I know you sure helped me "get" that better than I did before.
You've helped a lot of people understand the importance and power of those bonds ... and how hard it must be to be longing to be with them and part of helping them off fighting, by their sides "I've got your back"  ... and not be able to to that.

All that just because you were just being yourself and venting here. I wish more would "vent" just like you did ,,, and god how I wish my parents generation were that open. Different times and attitudes I know.

Personally, I think that the bonds between war buds, men and women who go through this together, is probably a whole lot deeper than most relationships between people. Even spouses. Its unique ... and deep.

Also, your ways of expressing yourself in general, is great. And I know I, for one, love reading how you express yourself. Great stuff, whether you just post, or write something that one day becomes a book.  ;D

I hope your physical healing keeps up and goes faster so you can go do what you want to do and if you miss the reenacting and get back into it sometime, that would be so cool.

I wish both you and your wife a lot of happiness and good stuff (do you play your pipes for her?  ;D )

Til next time ... Carman  :yellow:

Wow, Piper. I just read this again now, and I'm touched with that you typed.

All I can say is thank you for your sacrifice, and I can only hope that I can accomplish half as much.

Just a quick update;
It has been 7 years, 7 months, and 26 days since being wounded by friendly fire in Afghanistan, and, as of 30 APR 14, I am no longer a member of the Canadian Forces. I have been released as per article 15.01 of the Queen's Regulations and Orders, item 3(b), which states; "On medical grounds, being disabled and unfit to perform his duties in his present trade or employment, and not otherwise advantageously employable under existing service policy."

This conclusion really has been a long time coming, and was not entirely unexpected. I realized this would be the eventual outcome for several reasons, too numerous to list here, and have come to accept it over the last year or so... yet, I still feel a sense of loss and sadness.

According to the Canadian Forces, I have served 15.45 years in the Primary Reserves as an Infantry Rifleman; 19 NOV 98 to 30 APR 14...  and it's been a fairly interesting 15+ years.  Though I have had many regrets over the years, what I regret most is that almost half of my time in was spent being an ineffective solider; 7.5+ years in limbo, marking time in the JPSU... Oh, and not making it past corporal... that one stings a little...  oh well.

Anyway, if all goes as planned; my Depart with Dignity event will be held on 09 MAY 14, at the Waterloo Region "National Day of Honour Celebration".  I'm actually looking forward to seeing how this event will play out, as well as meeting up with fellow Afghanistan Veterans from the Region of Waterloo.  Either way, it seems to be a fitting end.

Well... it appears I've had enough scotch to tire me out, so I'll leave it a this and call it a night. 

Cheers,

Piper

Thanks for the update, and more importantly, thanks for your service. Wish I was in your neck of the woods, as I would stop in to your DwD ceremony. Best of luck with your next endeavour, and thanks again for taking the time to share.

Cheers
Mike

Take care of yourself.  You may no longer be in green, but you're still a member of this crazy fraternity.  :cheers:

Thanks for the update, and thanks for the service. 

Take care of yourself, and best of luck with the next phase of your life.

:cheers:

Tony

Thanks for the update and safe travels.

I'll be there as my Sister's are flying in just before 7:00 that very night.  I will have to let them know as both work on the base in Edmonton and both served. One recently retired and one as a YTEP many, many years ago.

Piper,

Thank you for your service. Take care of yourself.

Back